Buy New Laptop for FSX?

Volcz

Hey guys,

So for Uni obviously it's not practical for me to have a desktop so sadly my flightsimming will have to move to laptop. This laptop will also serve as my Uni work computer etc. I was wondering what it will take for a lapotp to be run FSX nicely? As you can tell by my specs, my desktop wasn't overly powerful although I could get it to work pretty well.. this laptop will technically be an upgrade! I'm happy to be spending absolute maximum of $2000 AUD. Lower the better!

So yeah do you guys have any advice on this? Custom built laptop? Will an i7 on a laptop run the same as a desktop version i7 etc etc?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

So for Uni obviously it's not practical for me to have a desktop so sadly my flightsimming will have to move to laptop. This laptop will also serve as my Uni work computer etc. I was wondering what it will take for a lapotp to be run FSX nicely? As you can tell by my specs, my desktop wasn't overly powerful although I could get it to work pretty well.. this laptop will technically be an upgrade! I'm happy to be spending absolute maximum of $2000 AUD. Lower the better!

So yeah do you guys have any advice on this? Custom built laptop? Will an i7 on a laptop run the same as a desktop version i7 etc etc?

Thanks!

I know you said it's not practical to have a desktop, but a mini-itx build would fit perfectly for you.

I personally just wouldn't waste the money on a "gaming" laptop. been there before, check my signature. I payed $1000 for that and it ran FSX with ORBX scenery and complex planes like trash. An i7 on a laptop is watered down and has a lower clock speed, for cooling's sake. You won't get the same performance as a desktop.

Why I would go with the mini-itx:

- Spending that kind of money on a laptop is a waste. You'll get better value for a desktop.

- You can easily move a mini-itx like you would a laptop for LAN parties, gaming, whatever. If you really need a laptop, get a cheap netbook or whatever they're calling them these days. $1600 AUD for the desktop, $400 AUD for the netbook. That laptop would be more than enough for handling word processing, web surfing, and note taking.

- The mini-itx would take up nearly the same footprint as a laptop

-You can run flightsim better on the mini-itx

- The mini-itx will provide more room for upgrading in the future, where a laptop is locked down. You can't really change any components in them, and in a few years, what is now top of the line will just be old by future standards.

The people here at ORBX helped me build the PC I made. I think it cost me $1,500 USD. They could easily help you too, you're definitely in the right place!

Thanks Outrage I really do appreciate the suggestion! But it really won't be practical for me to have anything other than a laptop for now especially since I'll be travelling around a lot! :(

Does anyone know about Metabox/Sager/Clevo laptops? I was doing some research on this P150SM and it seems pretty neat, it's custom built as well.

http://www.metabox.com.au/P150SM-overview.asp

Specs:

Intel Core i7-4710MQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M with 6GB GDDR5 VRAM

16GB DDR3 1600MHZ

1TB 7200RPM HDD (might change it to an SSD drive)

Screen

15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Matte

Archived