Almost Ready for Redding: KRDD Triple Installer SP1 is on the way!

6c556cad3c96c8850a74631663e26b37.jpg

G'day All,

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful feedback on our recent Cairns and Broome Triple Installer releases - I hope that this has given you all a chance to re-explore the tropical parts of Northern Australia in both sims :) Next on my Triple-Installer list is probably the one I've had the most requests for - and incidentally the last non-P3D2 compatible airport released by ORBX - Redding for Northern California. Originally released twelve months ago, Redding was a slightly unusual project for me - rather than sticking to the airport and surrounds, I decided to model two full airports in HD (Redding Municipal KRDD and Benton Field O85), a detailed hospital helipad (Mercy Medical Centre) and a large cityscape with plenty of landmarks to boot. Because of the many components involved, this has been a deceptively time-consuming task to make fully P3D2 compatible, and I'm very excited to show a few screenshots from the new version. 

For those not familiar with the area, Redding is one of the largest cities in the Sacramento Valley, as well as being gateway to the Shasta Cascade region immediately to the north. Many may be familiar with the large CalFire Fire Attack Base at KRDD; as well as being home to several interesting fire bomber aircraft types (several of which have been modeled in the scenery), it is also home to the large Smoke Jumpers training centre. The terminal at Redding is currently undergoing a significant expansion; what you see here is the new building as it will look when complete; reference material was based on architectural plans and artist renderings. As well the fire base and terminal, Redding is home to several other large FBOs including Redding Jet Centre (catering to business jet traffic), Shasta Air (eggbeater heaven!) and several others. Keep an eye out for a few other rarities, including an ex-RAAF Canberra bomber awaiting renovation.

Benton Field is a small GA airpark approximately 12 miles from Redding, with an interesting approach over plenty of downtown landmarks. The local FBO (Hillside Aviation) is a hub of activity, keen an eye out for the plethora of aircraft undergoing maintenance, as well as a certain (in)famous cellphone-obsessed lady hanging around the cafe deck (!). As well as the FBO, Benton is home to the local Police Air Wing and many private aircraft owners. Mercy Hospital and plenty of other local landmarks have been included in the cityscape coverage area. Keep an eye out for the world-famous Sundial Bridge, as well as eight other custom-modelled bridges, the new City Hall, local County Jail, shopping complexes, schools, sports fields and others. 

New Features for Triple Installer/Service Pack 2:

- Full compatibility with Prepar3d V2

- Updated terminal and tower textures including environment mapping

- New runway and apron lighting system for better performance

- New airport ground poly source to fix DX10 night splash issues

- Fixes to APX for better ground handling, navaid fixes and AI control

- Minor updates to animated people and generic ground vehicles

- Other minor visual fixes

For full product details and information, please visit the Redding Product Page

All screenshots taken in P3Dv2

Enjoy!

Jarrad

Redding Municipal Airport (KRDD):

8e28806ab2665778d80e5515b0e94950.jpg

eb69692f6395c08493fef0f63198060f.jpg

73367d1d7f2a75448e8e37682b4dd581.jpg

57e074565e08c967cddee8cce26ed364.jpg

bb376fab64df04eb57f66e534944c55d.jpg

5f71064d5823c49e39a2bfbf85e8e418.jpg

b7a252280ecd1247480b16501a8097ab.jpg

9b4cf35818bc9cde55bd61d8a8ffc0e8.jpg

82412f107de0e35d1e1f4399781cfabd.jpg

Benton Field (O85):

edc22aef7165c9111a2b4bb305cf2ecc.jpg

4c5c8a1a01c2b7bde381f673b4eb4374.jpg

43aafee0534af55a7ab144f0812b0133.jpg

187f98b4c21b4af94b34128e42b0978b.jpg

Mercy Medical Centre:

1919222f4c759d0bbc1a76480d05e68d.jpg

8a1fa366e1ed15ea64e91f93d7a2b398.jpg

59d47495259e253b3d7b06031bcd881d.jpg

Redding CityScape:

08d883d45a24947a92c0066f7fd3790e.jpg

5efa5449858bd548e3f31727e7092d93.jpg

249b9acaac9e299912365410e613d8b3.jpg

f727fe78cb0f206258ee5a7ea51ac739.jpg

58bb5f8d601e749c6afa8c87157c363c.jpg

Thanks for your efforts, Jarrad! Even though I "only" fly in FSX I'll be getting hold of this as soon as it becomes available. The re-done Cairns and Broome have already proven that decision to be the right one - so I'm looking forward to this version of Redding :)

Cheers

Mallard

Looking just fabulous Jarrad. Many thanks for getting this ready, I am happy spending my time moving to P3D2.5 and this will be the perfect addon. A big thanks to you and ORBX for taking on the task of transforming all products to triple installers, much appreciated by us all. To quote Tina Turner, you're simply the best!

Great news, Jarrad. Thank you very much. cant wait to see it.

PS: You made the comment that this was the last non P3D2 airport? - Did I miss the release of things like Tamworth for P3D2? (he said excitedly and hopefully :) ) or do I just misunderstand?

I think he meant that Redding was the last Orbx airport which was not P3d2 compatible already on initial release.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful feedback on our recent Cairns and Broome Triple Installer releases - I hope that this has given you all a chance to re-explore the tropical parts of Northern Australia in both sims :) Next on my Triple-Installer list is probably the one I've had the most requests for - and incidentally the last non-P3D2 compatible airport released by ORBX - Redding for Northern California. Originally released twelve months ago, Redding was a slightly unusual project for me - rather than sticking to the airport and surrounds, I decided to model two full airports in HD (Redding Municipal KRDD and Benton Field O85), a detailed hospital helipad (Mercy Medical Centre) and a large cityscape with plenty of landmarks to boot. Because of the many components involved, this has been a deceptively time-consuming task to make fully P3D2 compatible, and I'm very excited to show a few screenshots from the new version. 

Thanks Jarrad, it looks stunning on the screenshots!

I hate to ask, but I need to know :) :is the performance in P3Dv2.5 comparable with for instance Cairns (that I have)? Or better or worse?

Thanks for the support guys, much appreciated :) 

Thanks Jarrad, it looks stunning on the screenshots!

I hate to ask, but I need to know  :) :is the performance in P3Dv2.5 comparable with for instance Cairns (that I have)? Or better or worse?

No worries at all - Redding should perform better than YBCS SP2, it was designed from scratch with slightly newer tech and despite having two airports is quite heavily optimised. Some quick P3D2 benchmarking on my PC, all with identical settings:

KLAX (Default + Global Base textures only) 22-26fps

YBCS SP2                                                    26-29fps

KRDD SP1                                                    31-34fps

KMRY                                                           33-36fps

KPSP                                                            31-33fps

Jarrad:

Nicely done.  Is the guy waving the helicopter into the hospital landing pad going to change locations along with the wind sock as the wind direction changes?  

Danny

It doesn't unfortunately, however that's an excellent idea that would be great to include in a new product or later service pack :) 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Jarrad:

" ...the guy waving the helicopter into the hospital landing pad...

This is one of the best and most charming heliport/helipad ever made by Orbx: thanks Jarrad for your vision to realize the various aspects involving: Redding isn't only the airport! 

Thank you very much master!  :)

No worries at all - Redding should perform better than YBCS SP2, it was designed from scratch with slightly newer tech and despite having two airports is quite heavily optimised.

Thanks Jarrad, that is all I needed to know for convincing me to do another scenery investment :)

By the way, I hope another of my favorites, Jackson Hole, is on your shortlist to get a triple installer!

beautiful! really adds to the Orbx Northern California with high quality in that region. A great airport to fly from the bay area to,and as a pit stop when flying more north to the other NA regions

Is there any gagging? I think not, see YBCS: simmers can say - it was converted and is a great area, full of complexity!

Choppers pilots are grateful: a wonder to snoop, for all the sides and corners! <_<

Thanks Jarrad, your work is wonderful! :)

Bought it months ago. Would really love to be able to install it. Waiting eagerly for the triple installer...

Sue

Same situation here, bought it and waiting for triple installer. Really enjoying kpsp, Jarad's work, looking forward to his next effort.

Danny

Archived