Expensive Charts

KORDATC

I was looking at buying the ICAO equivalent of the US sectional charts for Norway.  I'm referring to the ICAO 1/500.000 vfr charts.  In the US, you can buy a sectional for around $10-15USD  However, each vfr chart for Norway ranges in price from $35-55USD.  Is it just me or is this ridiculously expensive?  Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can get them cheaper?  I'm not going to pay that much for a folded paper map.

Cheers,

Rob

I have one of the ICAO 1:500.000 charts (southern Norway), and they are indeed that expensive ($48 from www.pilotbutikken.no). There are only 3 of them, though, covering the whole of Norway.

In addition they are not the best charts I've seen. The FAA-charts in the US are magnificent. Good paper quality and easy to read and intuitively understand. 

The best option I think are the military M517 charts. They are in 1:250.000 and are much better - and have so much more detail. They come in 16 parts, and I ordered them all from www.pilotbutikken.no before the FTX Norway was released. They cost around $23 each - which will be quite a bit if you want the lot. 

I'm very happy with the M517's, and will probably not get the rest of the ICAO-charts. 

I'll do some pictures later - I'm about to sleep.

Expensive? I found them reasonable.

The FAA charts are in contrast so cheap as to be almost laughable. Which is good - one can afford to have updated charts all the time. I have about 20-30 charts from US and Canada. So much fun! :-)

I'll do some pictures later - I'm about to sleep.

Expensive? I found them reasonable.

The FAA charts are in contrast so cheap as to be almost laughable. Which is good - one can afford to have updated charts all the time. I have about 20-30 charts from US and Canada. So much fun! :-)

You sir are a saint! 

Thanks,

Rob

Why do you need to buy when you have the best for free.  World coverage including airport panels:

http://skyvector.com/

Just open up to where you want (zoom to area) use printscreen, save and print it off

Or Google PlanG for free planning.

PS best not to ask for military charts online if you don't want a knock from the NSA..  :)

Norwegian charts are expensive because there are few pilots in Norway that need them. LIttle demand and expensive manufacturing costs equals high prices. Norway is just 5 million people, and aviation is very regulated and very expensive, so there are very few private pilots.

Most professional pilots have everything in their electronic flightbag these days.

Try googling flight simulation charts, there are plenty of free ones available.  Unless you're a real pilot, why buy real charts?  ;)

Why have proper VFR charts? Well, for one thing they add immersion and training. And why settle for someting less? Do you fly the simulator with the keyboard, or did you invest in hardware? Charts are, even in Norway, sufficiently cheap that one can buy a couple to have for fun.

Besides - why not use them in real aircraft too, when or if one gets a license? ;-)

Wow!  That is outrageously expensive! Haha would you mind attaching a photo of one of the military charts so I can see what they look like before I purchase a few?

Tusen takk,

Rob

Hey,

Here are one picture of the Oslo area (didn't know what area you wanted to see - just tell me and I'll post another picture), and also a picture of the whole lot filling the livingroom. The three charts on the top left are the remaining northernmost charts that I didn't have space for under the grand piano. Norway is big when charted in 1:250.000.... :-D

LSiBX.jpg

9bwe1.jpg

You'll love those maps. They contain details down to footpaths/tractor roads, cabins, obstructions (many also below 200 feet, unlike FAA-charts which have 200 feet and above), and much topograpy. 

They don't, however, contain airport information like frequencies, altitudes, runway and lightning information. I guess the thought is that one already have noted the relevant information elsewhere. I miss that information, though. The FAA charts (especially the terminal area charts) are just perfect. The paper is also better in the FAA charts - the M517 charts are ever so slightly glossy and feels just a little brittle. They are in good quality, but I like the feel of the FAA charts better - they feel more durable. 

Archived