The new FTX Central

I agree, it looks fantastic Ben.

Would it be possible that the Desktop Icon could show which Region FTX actually is applyed to??

Sometimes i open FSX realising that i  have forgotten wich Region FTX it set to. :-[ Bummer.

Henrik

Good suggestion, FTX icon shows status of FTX Region selection by colour for instance would be of great benefit :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Are there any news on this one?

The sheer number of ORBX products I have is by itself a showstopper for any thoughts about FSX reinstallation (e.g. to try out SE) - the unpacking/validating/installing of all the ORBX stuff alone would take many evenings, not even thinking of all the other addons I have. So this next iteration of FTX Central is hotly anticipated by me :)

This is very nice,!

It would be nice to be able chose an other color than black,

under settings, maybe ?

Hi oveegerup,

Not at the moment, sorry. We've tried to keep the colour scheme similar to that of the website.

At the moment FTX Central is feature complete and we're just focusing on fixing any bugs before we can release it to everyone.

However, if there is enough demand for a light colour scheme for FTX Central then we'll most likely implement it :)

Hi oveegerup,

Not at the moment, sorry. We've tried to keep the colour scheme similar to that of the website.

At the moment FTX Central is feature complete and we're just focusing on fixing any bugs before we can release it to everyone.

However, if there is enough demand for a light colour scheme for FTX Central then we'll most likely implement it :)

Getting the features correct and getting this much anticipated tool released is the main priority. Cosmetics can follow.

I for one am really looking forward to its release.

What about FTX Central selecting the right AEC profile (previously saved) when switching between Global and Region.?

Last time I switched from Global to NA, I forgot (once more  :- ) to run AEC. CYXY (Whitehorse Intl) was really looking bad : .

I had to quit FSX, run AEC and restart FSX...

Will this be taken care by the new FTX Central ?

Thanks

Ben, to shorten start up time for FSX I click off many airports in my scenery library.

For example, if I am flying in Europe I click off most of the airports in Australia and USA.

However each time I change FTX they all come back - the whole list, and I have to go back and re-click all the unwanted ones off.

Would be nice if the change to FTX Central would activate those sceneries for that region but leave the clicked-off airports and scenery to "off"

Thanks

Ken

I don't know how people thinks about this issue. I consieder quite annoying in being forced to exit from a flight when changing region and - of course -, having to operate FTX Central. When Flying from Italy to - say - Israel, first setting is FTX Global with un-check "Hybrid mode" if EU Open LC is installed. But in the middle of the air, crossing Turkish border in Istanbul, we should exit FSX, open FTX Central and check "Hybrid mode".

Of course this is only an example, exoprtable in North America, for instance.

Well, waiting for the new FTX Central ASAP, BTW. Full of interesting new features. 

I don't know how people thinks about this issue. I consieder quite annoying in being forced to exit from a flight when changing region and - of course -, having to operate FTX Central. When Flying from Italy to - say - Israel, first setting is FTX Global with un-check "Hybrid mode" if EU Open LC is installed. But in the middle of the air, crossing Turkish border in Istanbul, we should exit FSX, open FTX Central and check "Hybrid mode".

Of course this is only an example, exoprtable in North America, for instance.

Well, waiting for the new FTX Central ASAP, BTW. Full of interesting new features.

if you're flying outside of full regions, you don't need Hybrid mode at all... so Italy to Israel can be flown in Global with Hybrid mode turned off the whole way.

The confusion comes from not realising that the FTX Central "Europe" setting does not mean where in the world you are flying, it means what FTX scenery packs you are flying in... Europe (also North America and Oceania) in FTX Central is only used if you are flying in a full region pack. Italy, whilst geographically part of Europe is not in a full region pack... it is part of the Global area.

Hybrid mode is only used if you plan to fly from a full region to an area outside (therefore in the Global area), or from Global to a full region. It also works if flying from one full region pack to another full region pack in a different part of the world (for example, London to Seattle starts in the England EU full region pack and ends in the Pacific Northwest NA region pack)

If you're only flying in a full region, the select that region.

There should be no reason to have to stop and switch regions in FTX Central half way through a flight, unless you want to ;)

if you're flying outside of full regions, you don't need Hybrid mode at all... so Italy to Israel can be flown in Global with Hybrid mode turned off the whole way.

The confusion comes from not realising that the FTX Central "Europe" setting does not mean where in the world you are flying, it means what FTX scenery packs you are flying in... Europe (also North America and Oceania) in FTX Central is only used if you are flying in a full region pack. Italy, whilst geographically part of Europe is not in a full region pack... it is part of the Global area.

Hybrid mode is only used if you plan to fly from a full region to an area outside (therefore in the Global area), or from Global to a full region. It also works if flying from one full region pack to another full region pack in a different part of the world (for example, London to Seattle starts in the England EU full region pack and ends in the Pacific Northwest NA region pack)

If you're only flying in a full region, the select that region.

There should be no reason to have to stop and switch regions in FTX Central half way through a flight, unless you want to ;)

Hi Rob,

thanks for your answer. Quite clear, actually. Seemed to remember - and ferified too -  that flying in Europe (Open LC but not in a full region) it was necessary to uncheck "Hybrid Mode" from FTX Global setting.

Hi Rob,

thanks for your answer. Quite clear, actually. Seemed to remember - and ferified too - that flying in Europe (Open LC but not in a full region) it was necessary to uncheck "Hybrid Mode" from FTX Global setting.

You will certainly get a better experience with Hybrid off in Europe with OpenLC, but that's the same for any part of the world outside of full regions, even where there is no OpenLC coverage. Hence it's fine (in fact recomended) to fly from Italy to Israel without pausing, with Hybrid mode set to off.

You will lose a little fidelity over Europe with OpenLC if you use Hybrid mode, but it's very minor and only really noticed if you go looking for it :) And you only really need it if you're flying into or out of a full region anyway.

Page 34 of the FTX guide has a handy graphic to help illustrate the Hybrid mode use...

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

• 1 month later...

Yep, it's a great improvement over the old tool. After installation, I was reminded that I forgot the latest Alaska patch - which I would have missed otherwise for certain. The reduced number of icons scattered over the desktop is another advantage.

Works pretty well so far, despite being beta.

Kind regards, Michael

The new Central updated itself without asking the permission. Normal ?

Yes, it should be downloading the update automatically and then showing you a green update button that actually installs the update.

This can be disabled using "check for FTX Central updates" in the settings, however I strongly recommend you leave it on for the duration of the beta (and even after the beta) as previous versions may stop working / become unstable.

Love it!

BTW, any way to show the currently installed version right on the main region pages?

+1 ... not just for the main regions - for all products would be nice!

Adam.

I'm trying not to clutter up the user interface too much (KISS). However, I have added the version to a tool tip for the next version.

GZvmRGX.jpg

I'm trying not to clutter up the user interface too much (KISS). However, I have added the version to a tool tip for the next version.

That's great - thanks! Do we get that for the non-installed products as well (along with whether they're P3D compatible or not)?

Another thing - to do with versions/updating:

When I click on the "CHECK PRODUCTS FOR UPDATES" button (in Tools), there's no visible indication of it actually doing anything - nor any confirmation that all your installed products are up to date.

I'm presuming nothing's happening on my system as it's totally up-to-date <?>.

Adam.

Just installed, love this new FTX central, especially the feature that the icon on the desktop shows what region is set, great stuff. Also makes keeping the system updated much more convinient. Great work Orbx :smile:

Just started using the new Central, and I am getting a message that I need to update PAEN and PAJN but Central points me to the only updates available and these are not set up for Prepar3d V2.5. AM I doing something wrong? Teecee.

PS: This is a great program, I had not realised how many updates I had missed..

Ben, I have a little request: the new FTX Central starts with the option to choose the simulator. I do have FSX still installed but I do not use it anymore. I am reluctant to remove FSX completely, although I only fly P3D2.

Can you somehow make it that FTX Central remembers a 'default'  sim, or that I can set it like that, so that we can skip the first menu choice?

Thanks.

Archived