The new FTX Central

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you start up FTX Central, it will check that all your Orbx products are up to date. If there is an update available for a product, there will be a blue update button on its row. If you click on the button, it will show you all the updates that are available and ready to be downloaded.

Hi Ben

Sorry if I missed something in that long thread. Today, I mostly use Central to select the region I want to fly (Oceania, NA, Global etc...). If my internet connexion is down, I can still fly wherever I want. If the first thing that the new Central does is to check updates, would the region selection process still accessible in that case (no internet) ?  

Hi,

just to make sure, because I'm not familiar with FTX Central, it's just a software to check if you need update? It's not a new Flight Sim launcher (even if FSX UI look old and need a new one)?

Thank you and continue the great work! It look really fresh and cool!

Sorry if I missed something in that long thread. Today, I mostly use Central to select the region I want to fly (Oceania, NA, Global etc...). If my internet connexion is down, I can still fly wherever I want. If the first thing that the new Central does is to check updates, would the region selection process still accessible in that case (no internet) ?

Hi Dominique,

Switching regions is available all the time (even without internet connectivity).

Looking really great!I

I have a question: Will the new FTXC be able to download updates even when they are only available as new installers from FSS (for example, the recent FTX Global 1.30 update)? Meaning, will the new FTXC be "plugged in" to your FSS account, so to speak?

If that is the case, then I have a suggestion: How about the ability to actually buy new Orbx products via FTXC? As others have said, maybe we could see greyed-out products that haven't yet been purchased. Alternatively, maybe we could have a "Store" mode, and an "Installed Products" mode easily accessible by tabs. Also, maybe we could see product suggestions based on past purchases, and get notifications on the desktop when new Orbx products are released, for example. Just a thought. :)

Looking really great!I

I have a question: Will the new FTXC be able to download updates even when they are only available as new installers from FSS (for example, the recent FTX Global 1.30 update)? Meaning, will the new FTXC be "plugged in" to your FSS account, so to speak?

If that is the case, then I have a suggestion: How about the ability to actually buy new Orbx products via FTXC? As others have said, maybe we could see greyed-out products that haven't yet been purchased. Alternatively, maybe we could have a "Store" mode, and an "Installed Products" mode easily accessible by tabs. Also, maybe we could see product suggestions based on past purchases, and get notifications on the desktop when new Orbx products are released, for example. Just a thought. :)

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your suggestions!

I'm only planning on having it download updates that have been released on the website (no FSS integration sorry).

RE your other suggestions: Buying products is a bit out of the scope of FTX Central, but discovering them is something that I'm working on.

Product suggestions based on past purchases is a cool idea, but I'm not sure which metric I'd use to determine whether the user likes a product (other than connecting to the sim and seeing exactly where they're flying).

Notifications when new products are released is another cool idea, but would require that the user have FTXC running to get the notifications (I'll see if I can put something similar in, anyway).

Ben

I can imagine the ORBX servers getting a big belt when this releases. First when people get the updated Central itself, and then when they realise exactly how far behind they are with all their products and go and update them, and finally a third time when they buy yet more products knowing the tool will update those too.

That's going to be a slooooow Internet weekend! :)

Can't wait...

wow, simply amazing! I mean it.

Just a note, me, I can't download from home, I'm on a expensive 4G connection. So if I download from my shop and put it on my HD, should I just install the old way? I guess it would be nice to choose a download location also form the new GUI.

Another suggestion, On my wall beside my rig I have a few printed paper sheet with all my stuff (90% ORBX...), since a year I was to lazy (and bought to many addon :wacko: ) that I wrote the new airport with a pen.... it's such a mess now...ha ha ha.

I don't know were I'm going with that... :-X well, I imagine some kind of GUI that I could look at what I own and choose an departure airport this way.

Anyway, this is GREAT news!!!!!

Ben

wow, simply amazing! I mean it.

Just a note, me, I can't download from home, I'm on a expensive 4G connection. So if I download from my shop and put it on my HD, should I just install the old way? I guess it would be nice to choose a download location also form the new GUI.

Another suggestion, On my wall beside my rig I have a few printed paper sheet with all my stuff (90% ORBX...), since a year I was to lazy (and bought to many addon :wacko: ) that I wrote the new airport with a pen.... it's such a mess now...ha ha ha.

I don't know were I'm going with that... :-X well, I imagine some kind of GUI that I could look at what I own and choose an departure airport this way.

Anyway, this is GREAT news!!!!!

Ben

Hi Ben,

At this stage, offline installs are supported. I imagine that when Ed generates the update files he'll still put them on the website like they are currently so that people who don't have their sim connected to the internet will still be able to update their products.

I'm not sure what you mean by the choosing the departure airport GUI thing, but I have revamped the Installed Orbx Products report so that it it displays text in RTF (so that you can copy it to Word and then print it from there).

post-18382-0-51188300-1413606254_thumb.p

If you download the update via FTX Central (i.e., using the built in updater), then your download manager won't work (however, as mentioned previously, I'm building many of the features that a download manager has into FTXC). However, you can use FTX Central to just give you notifications about the new updates and then download them via the website like usual.

Ben,

Great work.  Good stuff!

I may have missed it in reading this thread ...

I see you do say "...then download them via the website like usual." Apart from FTX Central managing the updates internally, does that mean there will still be the ability to download and SAVE the update file externally ... ie, so that I can backup/store/save that update file away on my portable hard drive?

I see you do say "...then download them via the website like usual." Apart from FTX Central managing the updates internally, does that mean there will still be the ability to download and SAVE the update file externally ... ie, so that I can backup/store/save that update file away on my portable hard drive?

Hi Freddy,

We're still working out the exact details, but this is how I imagine it'll work. There are two different ways to install updates:

• FTX Central: you click on the update button and the process is handled start-to-finish by the app, downloading files as necessary. This is how I'd prefer everyone update their products as it means I can put in lots of extra cool features.
  • Legacy: you download the update from the website somewhere and then run the installer that is in the zip. The installer will then install the update from disk.

So yes, you should be able to back up your updates manually.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Just a thought.

The new Central will be a wonderful utility but, once released, history of any such software  tells that the early teething can be painful for us clumsy users. You guys know the stuff Inside out and know how to avoid mistakes and potential traps. A beta testing with a large common (and clumsy ;) ) users pool might be useful. Again my two € cents ... 

Archived