The new FTX Central

Hi everyone,

Over the past few months, there have been some hints that there is a new FTX Central in the works. There are a lot of new features that have been added that I think you will all like.

Keep in mind that FTX Central is very much in an alpha state at the moment - some features may be removed or changed.

Simulator support
The new FTX Central has been designed with extensibility in mind. As soon as you start it up, you will be presented with a list of simulators that you currently have installed on your computer (if you only have one sim, it will select it automatically).
e5vks.png

Update notifications
When you start up FTX Central, it will check that all your Orbx products are up to date. If there is an update available for a product, there will be a blue update button on its row. If you click on the button, it will show you all the updates that are available and ready to be downloaded.
rvRcL.png

tSnIb.png

Update downloading
This is my favourite bit. The ability to download and install updates inside FTX Central. When you click the update button on certain updates, instead of showing the “updates available” dialog (see above), it will show you the new updater. The updater has lots of features, here are some of them:

• Delta patching: the updater will only download the files that you need. For example, if there has only been one file changed in an update, then you only need to download one file.
  • Resumable downloads: if your internet drops out half way through downloading an update, you won't need to download all the files again.
  • FileSync: the updater will look for the file it needs in other simulators that you have installed on your computer. If it finds a file that can be used, it just copies it locally instead of downloading it.
  • Multiple simulator support: you can install an update into multiple simulators at the same time.

GpAIL.png

WV2Dr.png

Other features
I’ve tried to make FTX Central as smart as possible, it will diagnose common issues before you even know there’s a problem. For example, low disk space and Orbxlibs updates.
q9pQJ.png

fnXGZ.png

This is just a quick preview of what we’ve got in store for the new FTX Central - there’s much more on the way. Stay tuned!

Ben

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will download managers still work with the updates, etc.?

Joe.

I think you can configure (state path) of your favorite download manager and  FTX Central will trigger it properly. Well so it is with most software that open this possibility.  ;)

We're working on having 3-4 concurrent connections to our servers in the background so you get even faster downloads. The biggest single benefit of FTXCv2 is the delta-update function where for example a tiny single-file update to Orbxlibs would be downloaded in seconds, seamlessly - or any other airport or region patches would download only the new files needed.

Hello Ben,
- it would be great if we can open the manual and control panel of an airport at the same time. Which is not possible FTXCv1

- acces to the ORBX forum via standard browser

- acces to all ORBX tools (like to the FTX Vector Configurator or FTX GLOBAL Lights Configurator)
- resizable window
- minor thing: a nice background would be great :) Like this one: https://www.fullterrain.com/assets/product/p16/Uj7CXE_FTXG_banner.jpg

This is great, one suggestion, can we have a colour or some letters on the icon so we can see on the desktop which region is active e.g. Oceania could be green, Europe Blue etc.

Or Oc or Eu in small letters.

Then we would not have to open FTX Central to see which region we had last selected.

Thanks

Ken

Will download managers still work with the updates, etc.?

If you download the update via FTX Central (i.e., using the built in updater), then your download manager won't work (however, as mentioned previously, I'm building many of the features that a download manager has into FTXC). However, you can use FTX Central to just give you notifications about the new updates and then download them via the website like usual.

- it would be great if we can open the manual and control panel of an airport at the same time. Which is not possible FTXCv1

Already in V2

- acces to the ORBX forum via standard browser

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but there is a link to the support forums in the "troubleshooting" section (the link will open in your default browser).

- acces to all ORBX tools (like to the FTX Vector Configurator or FTX GLOBAL Lights Configurator)

Already in V2

IJ0bo.png

- resizable window

Already in V2

This is great, one suggestion, can we have a colour or some letters on the icon so we can see on the desktop which region is active e.g. Oceania could be green, Europe Blue etc.

Or Oc or Eu in small letters.

Then we would not have to open FTX Central to see which region we had last selected.

This is on my list of things to do, so it will most likely be in the final version.

Ben

Holey moley,  that is stunning GUI looks a great evolution reflecting the new fullterrain website features. Looks like a vast array great new features, only two questions remain.

Q1: How many pickled peppers did Peter Piper actually pick

Q2: How many pickled peppers to the peck

Amazing in so many ways. This will save everyone a significant amount of time and stress. THANK YOU.

Any chance the region/airport list will include items NOT installed? Maybe grayed-out. Maybe on another tab? It would be extremely convenient to have a simple list of everything available. This feature could easily translate in to more sales if each linked directly to the product page.

I look forward to this release in any state, as I am confident Orbx will improve its functionality over time.

Archived