Vista 64 bit Support

767driver

I am awaiting the arrival of AUBLUE with considerable anticipation and wish you every success in the program.

Simple question, I've recently switched to 64 Bit Vista, which has improved my FSX experience in terms of smoothness of frame rates etc.

Is FTX tested and validated against 64 bit Vista as well as the regular flavour?

Thks

Mmmmmm is there an easy way to migrate from Vista 32 to Vista 64.  I have recently been experiencing the dreaded ":Display Driver nvlddmkm Stopped Responding and Has Successfully Recovered." nasty.

It's a shame.  I can't seem to find a definitive answer to the problem.

Yes I am sure it is a nVidia driver issue, I am told that they are much more stable under Vista 64.

Thanks for the info...  As much as I'd like to, I really can't afford the downtime as I also run part of my business of my machine.

Cheers,

Mango, do you know if it's possible to run a dual OS machine? I currently have Vista Ultimate 32 bit but would like to add Vista 64-need to keep the current 32 as it's in Japanese for my wife but as I have 4Gb of RAM I am keen on English 64? I heard that Vista includes a boot loader for running more than one OS?!

Anyone know more about this?

Thanks in advance..

Yes I am sure it is a nVidia driver issue, I am told that they are much more stable under Vista 64.

I had some issues with 64 bit drivers in the past, but since 169.25 whql it runs without any hick ups. DX10 performance however is as lousy as with 32 bit...  :D

Sorry, never looked closer into the dual boot setup - sure it works with Vista and XP. But if it also works with 32 / 64 bit i can't tell.

Heiko

Anyone here getting weird sound skipping in vista? i had it in vista 32 and 64bit :(

Nope, not a bit.  My problem is that my setup runs perfectly at good frame rates (approach into YMEK 70+ FPS ext and 35-40 FPS int) until WHAM, an hour into a flight or there abouts, ":Display Driver nvlddmkm Stopped Responding and Has Successfully Recovered."

On certain days (rare though) it will run faultlessly for a 3+ hour flight ???

Annoying really.

Mango, do you know if it's possible to run a dual OS machine? I currently have Vista Ultimate 32 bit but would like to add Vista 64-need to keep the current 32 as it's in Japanese for my wife but as I have 4Gb of RAM I am keen on English 64? I heard that Vista includes a boot loader for running more than one OS?!

Anyone know more about this?

Thanks in advance..

I'd check on the Microsoft forums, but I've had no issue in building a dual boot  Windows Vista 64 bit / Windows XP 32 bit machine with each loaded on it's own partition. From memory I've seen others do dual boot Vista machines.[br]Posted on: February 28, 2008, 11:58:50 PM
[br] [DOUBLE POST AUTOMERGE:]

short and sweet answer ...........Yes it has been tested extensivly with Vista 64 bit, Mango could tell you all about that ;)

Thanks I shall join the queue then  :)

Yes,Vista 32 bit OS will only use 2 1/2GB of ram regardless of how much you have(4:6:8:ect).

I changed to Vista 64bit OS a few weeks ago and want go back to Vista 32bit OS.I also get all my 4GB of ram to use.

I had a few problems with drivers(video card)where fsx:a few games and some other software

would stop running then start again, a few black screens,but all is fixed now,running very very smoth.

I can run FSX in most cases one step back from high at 1680-1050 on a Samsung 22in LCD.

I should say that i got a lot of help from Mango,thank you Mango.

Cheers....

JohnG....

I run it on a system similar to mango's and have had no problems (vista 64 bit ultimate Q6700 quad core, 8 gigabyte of RAM, sound blaster x-fi pro elite, nvidia 8800 ultra and a 30 inch samsung monitor, I can't wait til wednesday. ;D

Hmm, i'm using a Auzentech Prelude (A 3rd party X-fi), maybe its a bug with their drivers, seeing as creative users aren't getting the same issue, sounds like maybe it could be even something else.. I'll have to investigate. Thanks for the feedback..

I guess I need to decide if I'll reinstall Vista again. I remember having weird issues with ATCvox though too, so that makes things a bit tougher..

Or maybe I'll just wait and see if SP1 is good, then get 32bit again

I forgot to try that, but I should have thought of that. Thanks. Need to decide though if I want to. At this time, I may just wait for SP1 to reinstall (and maybe slipstream it into my DVD so its like a fresh clean install). I have a spare 750GB HDD I'm not using for anything yet. But I guess your right.

By the way, 4GB I believe can be supported in a 32bit OS (theres a registry key to enable), but it penalises performance, and your maximum 32bit application memory space will still be the same

You can only use 2.5GB of 4GB or more at any one time in Vista 32bit OS.

JohnG....

Depends on how much it allocates to your GPU VRAM. Ewww, you really have to study this stuff and tweak the hell out off it... Much easier to slap 64 bit on and forget about it. Like i said - never had an OS crash, never had a RAM or virtual address space problem, all programs i need work (except SbuilderX), drivers are mature, performance is better, everything works. Maybe i am just lucky...  ;)

Heiko

Mango,is your car the X-Fi Xtreme Audio or X-Fi Xtreme Music.

I was looking at the Creative site,found the drivers but not the card.

http://www.au.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=1&subcategory=208

I am useing on board HD sound on a ASUS MOBO which is very very good,but would like to try a card on my new system.

JohnG....

You may want to also look at the card I have JohnG. It uses the X-fi chip too (and modified Creative drivers), but has much better sound quality (it uses better quality DAC's), more connectors at the back I think, and also comes with 64MB X-RAM (only the high end creative ones do).

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_prelude.php

It also uses Solid capacitors, so you are less likely to get popped caps.

But it may have crappy vista support, I may give vista 64bit another try with it.

I got the X-Fi Xtreme Music. Well, the Creative drivers work now (which was not always the case some time ago).

Yeah backup is a very good idea. I really love the Ultimate complete PC backup feature. It saved my day many times and works flawless. With any other version than Ultimate you get just a normal file backup - this doesn't help a thing when you screwed up big time (or got a nasty bug).

Heiko

I have Norton Ghost 10 that i used,but not since i got Acronis ver10.

Acronis is very simple to used but very powerful.

I back-up my OS to a second drive,and then have a copy on my external drive.

I am doing the same with FSX that i have on an other drive.

JohnG.... 

yep, Acronis is good, but with Ultimate you don't need it anymore. I also tried an Acronis trial on 64 bit and it didn't work.

Chris, that's an Ultimate treasure you have to use... :-). Start -> Control Panel and the fourth from top (at least here on 64 bit) is the Backup and Restore Center. There you find a button ' Backup Computer' . That's the complete backup similar to Acronis or Norton Ghost. I recommend to dedicate a complete (maybe 250 GB) drive or an external drive. When you update your backups often the file gets quiet big. With 32 bit i had once an OOM error which killed my activation and gave this nasty 1603 (or what was it) error. I booted from the Vista CD -> repair -> complete restore, and zapp within 15 minutes everything was up again and fine. Of course you backup only, if everything works perfect.

Try it, it's really great.

Heiko

Excellent info there Heiko...  I hope to plug in a new E8500 over the next 2 weeks or so and I will stick a new 250Gb drive in then to run the backup to.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

I've just installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I have 4 Gb RAM-when running under Vista Ultimate 32 bit, it reports 3 Gb. After installing 64 bit I was expecting to see it report my 4Gb installed, however it still shows as 3Gb? Is this normal?

Will FSX still run better under 64 bit if I reinstall it under 64bit rather than 32 bit? Mmmm, scratching my head..

When i did my OS 32bit to 64bit i had to take out 2GB of my 4GB of ram,I installed,up-dated,set-up defrag then add

the other 2GB of ram.That was after talking to Microsoft.I don't know if that was because of the system that i had.

I ended up getting my 4GB of ram to use.

JohnG....

Archived