Mutley's Hangar reviews EGPB Sumburgh and gives it Gold!

Ed Correia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fair review, no complaints here ... I kinda know Brian and he's an honest guy.

As a Scotsman I really should be all over this scenery, but I've been holding back.

What it is for me, I have FSX, ORBX Scotland, but for me the icing on the cake of Scottish scenery is Scotflight who now do their own add on for ORBX Scotland too, it takes nothing away from ORBX Scottish scenery, it enhances it with detail only locals appreciate IMHO.

What it is, earlier this year I bought Sim 720 airports for Inverness airport (I know very well) and Stornoway/Oban and to be bluntly honest, Scotflights airports in their package is much more accurate and superior ... I hate to seem to diss Sim 720 works, but thats my call as a local.

Apparently, and I'm not sure? I can remove all references of Sumburgh/EGPB  from Scotflight scenery folder and I should be good to go ... I've asked the Iain's at Scotflight and they dont know either or wont commit to knowing.

I recognise my requests are outwit the scope of this review though, but along with FSX and ORBX Scotland ... I need Scotflight ORBX too for finer detail, tried whole UK photo scenery afore in UK and suffice to say I wont be trying it again :)

Hi M31

I have the same set up as yourself.

I have all Scotlight for Orbx Vers1,1.1and 2 installed.

Orbx Sumburgh installation overrides the Scotflight installation of the same name.

So have Orbx Sumburgh loaded when I fly and Scotflight takescare of all the other airports.

Works for me.

xxd09

Thanks for that XX, I'll go ahead and order now then :)

I did have problems with the Sim720 Scottish airports conflicting with the early V1 Scotflight for ORBX no matter how I juggled in the scenery library and that's where my hesitance for this product came from, glad to hear its not an issue here.

Thanks again.

Update to my earlier post

I am having a few problems, but it might be nothing to do with my new ORBX Sumburgh with Scotflight (latest) with ORBX Scotland with FTX Global with FSX ... in fact I'm sure its not, its late here and I'm tired after trying a few things and have learned I need to stop and look at problems the next day with fresh eyes when I'm stuck :)

XXD09, if you read this again, can you confirm you have Scotflight for ORBX V1 and V1.1 and V 2.0 installed? I've made the assumption as a previous owner of Scotflight V1 that V1.1 was a complete new installer and I un-installed V1 ... then installed Scotflight V1.1 and then V2.0. Also, do you have Scotflight above or below ORBX Sumburgh EGPB in FSX scenery library?

I've now removed ORBX Sumburgh and all vers of Scotflight and seeing problems in Sumburgh , Inverness and more that should not be there and were not there before with a stock FSX and just ORBX Scotland install?

I did do a latest BIOS flash to my new build earlier today and then a fair overclock again ... and I have known an overclock to corrupt software in the past, more testing needed though, too tired for this just now :)

My order number for this is FSS0331589  BTW

Cheers

EDIT:  Just checked my libs and they are up to date, unless they need to be installed each time after a new ORBX product.

EDIT2:  XXD09, just noticed your much earlier post on the Scotflight forum where you were having problems with this scenery and the earlier Scotflight ORBX V1 ... I dont use any photo scenery any more as has been mentioned in that thread ... confused to say the least, but I'll look at things again tomorrow when I'm less tired :)

Hi M31

Can confirm that I have Scotflight for Orbx Vers1,Vers 1.1(Which is a free update of Vers 1 )and Vers 2.

My Scotflight Orbx Sceneries sit on top of Scenery List above Orbx Libs with other third party addons -Misty Moorings etc

Orbx Sumburgh sits under OrbyxLibs with all the other Orbx Payware Airports

IOrbyx Sumburgh will overide ScotFlight for Orbx Sumburgh even if disabled in Ãirport list.I do not know what would happen if it is removed or not installed.

Re Photoreal Scenery-I have retained PlaySims Orkney where I live and have Scotflight Photo Vers 3 to go with it.

Executive decision on my part to drop Photoreal Scenery and move to Orbx.

Scotflight Photo Vers 3 sits above OrbyxLibs amongst third party AddOns

Photoreal Scenery sits below OrbyxLibs amongs the Orbx Sceneries-Orbx Scotland,Pacific Northwest etc

The only setback I notice is that My Photoreal Scenery does not do winter weather-I fly in perpetual summer!-but as I use it infrequently this is not a problem. The only reason I keep it is that if you know an area intimately Photoreal Scenery is hard to beat but Orbx Scotland is improving by leaps and bounds so I will not keep it forever.

Hope this helps

This Forum is very helpful so keep asking till you get your system the way you want it!

xxd09

HI XXD09, another late night flight simming here but I think I'm on the right track now with my ORBX Sumburgh problems ... I do have the latest Scotflight V1.1 and 2.0 ORBX compatible product bought last week and yes my Scotflight scenery goes to the top of the scenery library too ... that's got to cause problems with FTX Sumburgh though?

It does for me, I've spent a couple of hours tonight thoroughly testing The Latest Scotflight double release with ORBX Sumburgh and its conflict city for me :(

But I've got round it for now by removing every reference of EGPB and Sumburgh from my Scotflight folder and sub folders ... this is not a perfect solution I know, but it seems to work for me so far, normally Scotflight do a good job of Scottish airports and even better than the Sim720 Scottish airports IMHO, but in this instance the review is correct, its a big improvement from Scotflights version of Sumburgh, even in their new V1.1 and V2,0 releases and well worth the effort to get it working with Scotflight.

Will be reporting my findings and a couple of other problemettes I've found Scotflight wise in other areas too to Scotflight as feedback soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it on sale. Glad I did. I find the place one step from nowhere. Just a stopover on heading to Norway. Definitely a place for scrawny sheep to hang out.

Soooooooo sorry, but hit the post button a tad early. The scenery is gorgeous and the rotorheads will enjoy all the parking spaces for offshore rigs. No better transition between water and shore can be found.

I really like to read these reviews...another great one. 8)

This airport has been on my list for a while...sorry to say it keeps slipping through my fingers due to other orbx airports etc. catching my interest.

These post keep these in the back of our minds.

Thanks!

Archived