Fireworks, EGHI, NZSI, & PNW...

twsimfan

Hi guys,

First some odd fireworks:

3btDz.jpg

I was flying from KTIW up the Puget Sound about between Vashon and KSEA when I started seeing strange lights over Seattle. As I got closer to the city I saw that they were over the bay out from the Seattle Center.

6yhQl.jpg

There are a few more heading into the sky... keep in mind the sim (P3D 2.2) is set to June 14th, 2014 at 12:30 in the afternoon... kind of funny to see fireworks on Flagday instead of 4th of July... and especially in the daytime! This is a common test flight for me... Tacoma Narrows up over Elliot Bay then into KBFI and this is the only time I have encountered this particular strangeness.

6zAGJ.jpg

I guess they are celebrating because June 14th was the 39th wedding anniversary for my wife and I. :)

Onto Southhampton:

xCsa6.jpg

This is my first test of EGHI in P3D and even with the 2.2 lighting issues I think it looks pretty great.

w5sQz.jpg

Also the performance of EGHI seems far smoother in P3D than in FSX... to me anyway.

lZRYn.jpg

Good English Springtime greenery.

6Ip1l.jpg

The port looks good. I have to say the performance of EU ENG in general seems much improved in P3D over FSX.

ZYMf3.jpg

And a fair amount of activity on the ground at EGHI.

Now we go to New Zealand:

l4XmS.jpg

This is Milford Sound but keep in mind it is "default NZSI" as NZMF is not yet ready for P3Dv2. Pretty steep hillside.

fSzOG.jpg

And it doesn't look to get much better if I were to switch to the other end... besides I'm not much on flat land anyway... I'm from Tacoma, WA and I live in Colorado.

AYfGT.jpg

But this T-45C seems up to the challenge.

OPitQ.jpg

A little tight but no big deal.

olQK4.jpg

I keep forgetting it is Winter down there... well Autumn since the sim was set for Spring here.

94Tx.jpg

I flew up the West side of NZSI.

VGf0A.jpg

Then cut East over the mountains.

jCVJN.jpg

Looks kind of cold. 90 here today.

QkXg5.jpg

Here I am breaking out over the East Coast of SI. I was headed for NZCH but P3D 2.2 crashed just before I got there. Later I did a couple of flights out of NZCH which crashed 30 to 40 seconds after takeoff. I think this is because I have the AU Traffic 4.21 installed. I was getting very similar crashes with the NA Traffic together with 2.2 and once I realized it was not compatible until 2.3 and disabled it the crashes stopped. I haven't tested it out yet but I strongly suspect that if I disable AU 4.21 I will be able to fly around NZCH without problems. Then tonight I noticed that a 4.22 patch is now out but it is labeled as being for P3D 2.3 and above only. So apparently if I could ever figure out how to get 2.3 to install I would probably be in business.

Xg7tE.jpg

To tell you the truth I have no idea where I am here other than it is somewhere in NZSI.

0UZaH.jpg

Kind of pretty though. :)

JrSA5.jpg

Yes I know... an Australian paint but I don't have any NZ ones for this Stationair.

N1UV4.jpg

Here I am trying to land in strong crosswinds at NZMO and beyond the call letters I have still have no idea where I am.

gbFtj.jpg

Notice the windsock.

Gn7i.jpg

Slow going with the taxiing to stay on the runway in the wind.

KCdSo.jpg

Very pretty area.

Now to finish up with a few over PNW:

bwLh8.jpg

Those are the Olympic Mountains and I am going East from Sekiu toward Port Angeles.

hiJtB.jpg

Looking over toward Vancouver Island, BC.

wEcqy.jpg

I think this is a "JK" paint but I'm not real sure about that... if I'm wrong I do apologize to the actual painter.

pxTIB.jpg

Parked at Port Angeles' Fairchild International. I worked with a guy from Port Angeles when I was in Japan in the early 1970s and he was very proud of the fact that the city has an international airport... of course Victoria is just across the straits but he figured it was a big deal anyway so I guess it is. I will say that Port Angeles is one of my favorite cities anywhere. :)

Since I disabled the NA Traffic I haven't had any crashes with P3D 2.2 in North America. Now if I could only figure out how to get to 2.3 I could turn the traffic on and get on with life.

Sorry to be so long here but these are my first shots since I started wrestling with this 2.3 deal.

Be well,

Tom Wunder

That with the fireworks is indeed interesting. Since that is your regular test-flight run and you haven't seen them before there must be some kind of reason for the display. Perhaps it was to celebrate a P3D-anniversary? :D

Cheers

Mallard

you've posted a lot of pics and had a lot to say so let me start by saying that Im not sure fireworks are working correctly in P3D2.

They obviously work but Ive been to places and times that Im certain have fireworks and I saw none.. and here you have them in the middle of the day.

next - I love your Southhampton grouping. great little addon.havent installed it yet.

did you say you couldn't get 2.3 installed? My install was quite strange when I tried it. I put it in and then there was no trace of it and so I reran the installer and did a repair and that time it showed up but it didn't look right to me and it also caused blue screens so I have gone back to 2.2

I really thing LM should not have released the update at the same time Windows does its stealth updates.

Wow, that is a long post, with a number of great shots - and interesting stories around. Thanks, Tom!

Thank you Gerold.

That with the fireworks is indeed interesting. Since that is your regular test-flight run and you haven't seen them before there must be some kind of reason for the display. Perhaps it was to celebrate a P3D-anniversary? :D

Cheers

Mallard

Hi Mallard... yes this is one of my most frequently traveled routes and I have flown it using the same date and time before and since and only had the fireworks this one time.

It would be funny if P3D's anniversary was the same as mine.

Eclectic set Tom! Favorite toy, CT206H! Favorite shot number...all!

O0

The 206 is a favorite of mine as well... glad you enjoyed the shots.

Fantastic shots indeed.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain.

Enjoyed these quite a bit!

Some really fantastic shots here!

Thanks Ziggy.

you've posted a lot of pics and had a lot to say so let me start by saying that Im not sure fireworks are working correctly in P3D2.

They obviously work but Ive been to places and times that Im certain have fireworks and I saw none.. and here you have them in the middle of the day.

next - I love your Southhampton grouping. great little addon.havent installed it yet.

did you say you couldn't get 2.3 installed? My install was quite strange when I tried it. I put it in and then there was no trace of it and so I reran the installer and did a repair and that time it showed up but it didn't look right to me and it also caused blue screens so I have gone back to 2.2

I really thing LM should not have released the update at the same time Windows does its stealth updates.

It is pretty strange to see fireworks in the early afternoon on a Spring day. In real life I doubt you would even be able to see them.

I have done the same flight with different aircraft both before and since and that was the only time the fireworks were going off.

Yes I have been unable to install 2.3. I have been hoping to get to it in the hopes of getting past some errors and crashes. But I guess I haven't been doing it correctly.

Going by what you are saying maybe I'm better off where I am. (2.2)

I don't understand what "stealth updates" are?

Thank you for the input Dave.

Thank you all! :)

Archived