Holy COW! openLC beats ALL Orbx sales records!

John Venema

Hi community,

Thank you all so much for your support of openLC EU and the effort that went into it. 

Whilst we never share actual sales volume, I am pleased to say that openLC EU has surpassed even the mighty FTX Global for the number of copies sold in the first three days of release.

So thanks for making this our most successful product launch in our eight year history!

Couple of points to add:

- For those finding missing areas larger than 1km sq (i.e. cities, industrial areas etc), please log a support call and we will try to add them into the V1.1 service pack. Important! Add screenshots and coordinates to the report. Without this it's hard for our developers to locate the problem areas. Even though our testing team tried to scour all of the 10+ million km sq area, I am sure we missed some details. Don't worry, this release is just the start of the journey :)

- I am reading some confused posts from people who are seeing "roads crossing buildings" or "no 3D objects on the docks" or "this is not suitable for VFR" etc etc.  Many of these comments stem from a lack of understanding of what a landclass product actually is. I am going to ask Rob Newman to author a simple guide on what LC products do, so there's less confusion and unreleastic expectations. OpenLC EU does not make any claims to rival photoreal imagery based scenery, align vector roads to textures, nor add 3D objects (the list goes on). All it does is add a 1km x 1km resolution landclass grid to all of Europe and with GB's of superb FTX textures.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Remember, report missing areas and we'll try to fix them asap.

All in all, given the sheer number of sales and the very low number of bugs reported, 99% of purchasers are too busy enjoying their new Europe to report back here. That puts a smile on the whole team's face :)

Thanks again!

i almost didn't buy it but i am so glad i did, even did a very short review on my youtube channel, i have had so much fun flying in open lc than i have ever enjoyed with any other product, definitely a masterpiece, i hope you have an even higher turnout as you continue onto the rest of the world, congrats on your success with the product.

I did not "play" FSX for 7 years.     2 weeks ago i bought a Prepar3d copy just to come back "a little" in the hobby.   ,  then i bought Orbx Global , i was just "WOW" ,  then Orbx Vector , then LC Europe ,

and i 'm sure i ll buy all other LC regions with any doubt.  

really quality product, don't be surprise if the sales are high !

Cheers

JV, first of all, thank you very much for this great product!

Secondly, congratulations for the sales success! You have very well deserved it!

Then I have one question re. reporting missing items - are missing golf courses an Open LC or a Vector issue?

Well done team! Loyal customers appreciate your work and new customers are realising what they have been missing out on. Thanks for all the hard work; the flight sim community is better off for it.

Cheers

This is truly good news, and I am glad for you and team, John. Congrats to all!

Now that said, I suspect this high sales mark will be surpassed when OpenLC NA is released.

- I am reading some confused posts from people who are seeing "roads crossing buildings" or "no 3D objects on the docks" or "this is not suitable for VFR" etc etc.  Many of these comments stem from a lack of understanding of what a landclass product actually is. I am going to ask Rob Newman to author a simple guide on what LC products do, so there's less confusion and unreleastic expectations. OpenLC EU does not make any claims to rival photoreal imagery based scenery, align vector roads to textures, nor add 3D objects (the list goes on). All it does is add a 1km x 1km resolution landclass grid to all of Europe and with GB's of superb FTX textures.  Nothing more, nothing less.

More understanding is clearly better, I agree, in order to set proper expectations. We saw a lot of that with Global, and a lot of that silliness could have been avoided had folks just read and understood before committing themselves. Seems like this time the clientele is better educated, just reading thru the posts, does it not?

However, I have to say this, if it doesn't look right, then it doesn't look right. Folks will continue to point that out. And no good reason why they shouldn't, as long as it is constructive in nature. I do see some things that are not 'broken' but yet I can imagine them being better. Maybe a problem perceived to be OpenLC is really better solved with a future update for Vector or Global -- as long as it isn't a hostile indictment of the product, then why not?

On the subject of ports -- you have already shown us what your team is capable of by giving us the port of Reykjavik. I am right now looking at image 17 of 36 in the product page and I am seeing a really very nice looking inner harbor. Was this done by hand? If not, how did you manage this? I don't see this at other inner harbors around Europe -- will that be part of an update that is yet on the way? Perhaps I'm one of those misinformed types that you refer to, but I would imagine this kind of magic is more related to Vector than LC, is that the case?

Anyway, not a shortcoming but now that we have seen your magic, I hope this is part of our on-going journey.

So here is to you, sir. You had a vision and you went out and accomplished it.

Well done, and once again congrats.

However, a question about the OP - If OpenLC EU requires FTX Global as a prerequisite, how can OpenLC EU have sold more copies?

Hi malibu43, I believe the answer lies at the end of JV's original statement regarding this:

"...openLC EU has surpassed even the mighty FTX Global for the number of copies sold in the first three days of release."

Lookin' forward to openLC NA, which is still expected to be released by the end of 2014. So, jordancollins, we can assume that openLC NA is well into development already.

Cheers!  ;D

Good job guys. Now get cracking in OpenLC NA so you can break this sales record!

Sent from my T-Mobile LG G2

NA will be a blessing. I'll finally be able to get Global, Vector, and LC, along with some Flightbeam or FSDreamteam airports that previously had nothing near ORBX coverage. Looking right at Hawaii!

Hi malibu43, I believe the answer lies at the end of JV's original statement regarding this:

"...openLC EU has surpassed even the mighty FTX Global for the number of copies sold in the first three days of release."

Lookin' forward to openLC NA, which is still expected to be released by the end of 2014. So, jordancollins, we can assume that openLC NA is well into development already.

Cheers!  ;D

Ahh... Got it!

Very pleased with OpenLC, too. I still have to visit more areas, but characters of the landscapes for those I know and saw, like around my home town Jena, Munich, Toulouse + Pyrenees, Geneva, and others, are met very well. Notably I observe an excellent interplay between Base, OpenLC EU, Vector and Pilot's Ultimate Mesh.

This said, "roads cutting buildings" are disturbing in places. Given, ORBX has Landclass + Vector data in one hand, shouldn't it be possible to improve this? Here's a rough idea: Align autogen houses to both sides of road textures within cities (boundaries to be defined by landclass). Main roads within large cities (take Berlin, Moscow, or Paris) are surrounded by large houses in rows (with a few exceptions). This could be done automatically and extended even to primary/secondary roads, as defined by Vecor and give cities a much more structured appearance. That would be a quite new approach, but might be worth at least trying as it brings improvement with very little extra cost. Just an idea, perhaps there are even betters ones.

Kind regards, Michael

Vector roads always cut through LC textures, no matter if you are looking at Default, UTX, openLC + Vector, or any other landclass solution combined with a vector solution - that is just the nature and design of the sim engine.

If you find there are too many roads cutting through building textures then disable minor roads in the Vector control panel app.

To overcome this design problem requires a fundamental re-architecture of the sim engine to use vector shapes for urban areas. X-Plane takes this approach by having grass first, then roads, then buildings in between, but the result appears very generic and synthetic IMHO.

Theoretically you could create entire cities very accurately with pure vector roads and textures shapes but the FPS hit would be massive and you still have the issue of alignment of buildings orientation towards the roads. Again, the FSX engine was never designed to provide this level of detail, and even the SDK does not allow a solution to work around it.

John, I have had from the get-go, Global..then added Vector...then when released, OpenLC Europe.  I have recently added the recommended FSX version of Pilot's Global 2010 FSX version.

You all are right...you need all four layers of your 'vision' to realize the 'FTX/ORBX Charm.

I highly recommend that everyone who is so enjoying what OpenLC brought to the partner, Global product...to (if you have not done so already) also consider laying good quality world-wide mesh under all this goodness. Is it worth it?  You will know..in the first few minutes of flying over your favorite part of the globe...

John..congrats on a great market success.  The graphic work that goes into your products, still blows my mind, with just thinking about it!!!

(i) You'll definitively need a good mesh in the combo, if you ever fly outside a completely flat region. My home town is surrounded by nice valleys, not really steep and deep, but they just don't resemble the real ones if I deactivate the mesh. The Pyrenees look stunning with the textures fitting very well to the mountains.

(ii) I forgot to mention the excellent razor-sharp textures coming with OpenLC EU. This is under Prepar3d2 and on a quite normal machine (see sig). So, if anyone does not get these textures sharp on a comparable machine, I'd suggest revising the settings - it can be done (in most cases it's the CPU core settings).

Kind regards,. Michael

i am very happy for what's been accomplished now,not for us to be rushing the team about NA LC, i tell myself most of Europe would almost fit just in the state of Alaska,if north America comes in the same quality as Europe, there will be alot of happy Americans and Canadians on here, with north america being so big, i am kinda surprises its not being split up, but anyone i have already commented and going back to fly my little sr22 in France, again great job orbx for your hard work and effort, it looks like it paid off.

Congratulations to the Orbx team on an outstanding product!  I've only had time to fly a few hours over openLC EU so far, but I've been very impressed with the areas I've covered so far, including Budapest, Innsbruck-Salzburg, and London to Paris (no more obviously repeating textures at high altitude - yes!).

most of Europe would almost fit just in the state of Alaska,if north America comes in the same quality as Europe, there will be alot of happy Americans and Canadians on here, with north america being so big, i am kinda surprises its not being split up

Although North America is about 2.5 times larger than Europe, I'm guessing it probably requires about the same amount of effort to develop the openLC region, for a couple of reasons:

- There are far more big wilderness areas, which won't require as much variation in landclass from one sq km to the next.  Europe is filled with small towns, each of which have to be accurately placed in the landclass, which must be very time-consuming.

- There is a huge variation in textures across Europe, due to different styles of architecture, historical farming practices, etc. (compare the shape of fields in Northern France with Southern England, for example).  I'm guessing that NA will require as much or even more variation in textures representing natural landscapes, but much less variation in man-made textures.  I think JV mentioned in another post that the need to develop so many new textures was one of the reasons openLC EU took longer to produce than expected.

Btw, Europe is about 6 times bigger than Alaska :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to all the remaining openLC regions, including NA and especially Asia: the default landclass is terrible outside EU/NA.

To those who say they only fly North America, I say don't be so timid, or parochial. Flightsimming gives a wonderful opportunity to go far beyond the comfortable and familiar.

Open your minds and free your souls.

Archived