Open LC Europe WITHOUT Vector

JohnE77

Hello,

I am curious as to whether anyone has installed Open LC Europe with UTX Europe instead of Vector. If so, does it still do the job, or is it just not compatible?

I have UTX Europe and am hesitant to make the switch over to Vector at this time. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I did most of my testing without Vector enabled and it was fine.  Obviously the accuracy of some coastlines and roads etc is going to be less but for the purposes of VFR exploring of areas you might not know intimately it should be fine.  

Well, in my case, I have UTX Europe and North America.

As I only ever fly in those areas anyway, FTX 'Global' vectors wasn't anything I felt I needed. The fact that Japan and Botswana has corrected vector data in the FTX product was (and remains) irrelevant to my own needs.

UTX has (for me) always ran well in conjunction with FTX Global. I took the precaution of unchecking the 'land class' option in the UTX configurator a long time ago and I have yet to notice any incompatibilities. In fact, prior to the advent of FTX Vectors, I believe many of the FTX 'pre release' Global screenshots featured UTX, and IT was described as the recommended add-on?

Yes, things have advanced, and FTX Global is now tailored to work in harmony with their own FTX Vectors. UTX will no longer be the recommended add-on and with EU Land Class there might now be some glaring incompatibles, hence John's question (I'm sure).

Personally, I only purchased UTX North America some three days after JV emphatically stated that FTX Vectors would NOT feature a user control interface. I'd owned UTX Europe for a while and felt I'd already had sufficient value out of it to substitute it for Vectors. It would have been no great loss. However, there are performance considerations (for me) which UTX allowed control over, and the initial release of vectors did not. With JVs reply of "Its not going to happen" to members requests for a UTX style control panel, FTX Vectors no longer looked a viable purchase for me, so I brought UTX North America to compliment UTX Europe instead.

Of course, Vectors did eventually get the user interface, but I couldn't have known at the time that "Sorry, ain't gonna happen" meant "Well, it might happen if enough fuss is made", could I? >:D

So, if EU Land Class works in harmony with UTX Europe, then mine (and John's) financial outlay will amount to £20.

If there is an incompatibility which cannot be simply addressed in the UTX Interface, or glaring visual anomalies, then the financial outlay will be about £58, coupled with a £20 'wastage' of UTX NA (in my case).

As questions go, I think John's was quite reasonable, and probably relevant to many potential buyers, and even though we can probably all accept and appreciate that the team have worked "really hard to provide a system that plays well together." we might also hold out hope it also plays nicely with UTX, for now at least.

Hope that answers your question (Windquest) from MY perspective? and yes, I concede it wasn't addressed to me ^-^

Hello,

UTX EU / US /CAN are fine, but i switched to Vector. I use Scenery LC for US and Asia. For Europe I use FTX GLOBAL OPENLC_EU in combination with FTX GLOBAL VECTOR.

Flying over Cologne and Bonn it seems to be the best landclass I have ever seen. For example it looks for me far better than German Landmarks LC in combination with UTX_EU.

The Vector data provided by FTX GLOBAL VECTOR looks for me much more natural than UTX.

I think it is may be just a personal taste.

(plz forgive me my bad english; it is not my native language :D

best regards

Archived