OpenLC EU - Mediterranean impressions

(All shots taken in P3Dv2 with FTX Global, Vector and FSG2010 + REX4 and REX weather engine)

Algarve (near Faro)
ulNn.jpg

Mallorca, north coast
bYO0n.jpg

Lagoon and swamp area near Venice
EhgKz.jpg

Dalmatian coast
cG6X5.jpg

Abruzzo
jS2g4.jpg

Mount Etna, viewed from Catania
tYjQh.jpg

Crete
fOdKF.jpg

Approaching Sparta
4MtL.jpg

Provence, Cannes and Nice in the background
p6sSP.jpg

Wow, could not believe you chose my home region "Abruzzo" as a screenshot preview!

I left Italy several years ago but I love to fly over that area even if the FSX quality was kind of poor, at least before today!!

Once OpenLC EU is released I would suggest everybody to give it a try, it is one of the least known areas in Italy but you will not be disappointed from the nice mountains and lovely valleys you will find. The entire region counts only 1M people, very low density for Italy, but over summer weekends the population doubles due to all the ones moving there from Rome, there must be a reason for this ... :)

Hola guys, every shot is AMAZING..

I was just wondering two things: what about industrial areas? because I see evey preview picture the testers are posting but always i see land and rural areas. I mean, I use ftx global with utx europe and this one add a lot of industrial areas and hazard like where they are in reality (for example, nuclear areas in france, big commercial hazard like in rotterdam, and industrial areas wherever near milan and so on). So when I got OpenLC it will replace these industrial areas?

And another request if you are so kind! Please a preview from Milan!

Thank you guys,

Marco

Hola guys, every shot is AMAZING..

I was just wondering two things: what about industrial areas? because I see evey preview picture the testers are posting but always i see land and rural areas. I mean, I use ftx global with utx europe and this one add a lot of industrial areas and hazard like where they are in reality (for example, nuclear areas in france, big commercial hazard like in rotterdam, and industrial areas wherever near milan and so on). So when I got OpenLC it will replace these industrial areas?

And another request if you are so kind! Please a preview from Milan!

Thank you guys,

Marco

Thanks Marco (and all)! The Milan agglomaration is indeed dotted with small and larger commercial and industrial areas (the same around Turin, Padua, Piacenca, ... seems to be a busy region). This is Busto Arsizio with a view of the commercial area of Sacconago between LIMC Malpensa and downtown Milan - Magnagno and the forest of Bienate in the background:

9QsSa.jpg

RE openLC and UTX: please have a look at JV's statement here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/81186-important-openlc-eu-release-soon-ftx-global-is-mandatory-vector-recommended/?p=744253

I like the fact that the vastly greater palette of textures now available to 'The Team' will give that much needed impression of travel. It could be a little bit anticlimactic to embark on a two or three hour tubeliner flight, only to descend through the clouds and find yourself over terrain not too dissimilar to that which you left! Of course, that wasn't the fault of FTX global, because those shortcomings were always made clear, and the open land class packages heralded as the ultimate solution. And judging by the various screenshots around Italy and Greece etc, that "much needed impression of travel" will soon be our reality.

On Tuesday, I left the green and pleasant land that is England to this vista:

I9ih0.jpg

And a mere two hours later, descended over Mallorca to see this:

7amrH.jpg

I'm going to take a punt that it'll work out okay with UTX (landclass option deselected), so fingers crossed on that one.

I must be the only idiot on earth that's suffered jet-lag on a two hour flight Sid. I should have said "last Tuesday", because alas, we are already back from our hols (yesterday). And yes, sailing to Trapini (Sicily),Naples (Italy), Civitavecchia (Italy), Calvi (Corsica), Mahon (Menorca) and back to Palma (Mallorca) made for a fantastic break thanks. I just need the open land-class EU now so I can attempt a landing at Calvi airport, because from the ship, that mountainous approach looked rather 'interesting'! ???

Hey Mike...LOL! :lol: Yes, I admit I did think to myself, "this is one committed hobbyist, if he's writing all this while he's on holiday in the sunny Med ;) :D". But...the 'jetlag' theory certainly does explain things better :D.

Either way, still great shots of landclass...Hard to believe that's just a 2 hour difference, isn't it...I can't wait for this Open LC EU to fly to these places either...And you're not wrong there, I think Calvi will make a really nice approach after a short flight from the Cote D'Azur or mainland Italy or Sardinia. Thank God its a beautiful sunny day here in this part of the UK...I'm starting to get jealous with all those fantastic places you've cruised ;)...No, but seriously,so glad you enjoyed your time and I know exactly how you feel...Whenever I come back from holiday, I just want to fly all those places that I visit so much! I'm sure a lot of us feel that way after hols...Good stuff mate!  :smile:

If that level of jetlag doesn't get better soon though, you may even need to think about some Melatonin... :lol:

The 'jet-lag' is slowly abating, but I'm still at that stage where 12 meals a day and San Miguel for breakfast feels normal lol. Calvi airport (for me) had an added interest, in that it was used by the USAAF in WW2, and I'm a bit of a military aviation history fanatic. I believe there is a submerged wreck of a B:17 out in the bay, but we weren't there long enough to explore the diving option.

As I sat there, supping the Italian red and watching the Dash 8s and various jet powered liners making their approach, I 'think' I grasped the technique.

What you have to do is this. Approach from the sea, and fly directly at the mountains. Don't lose your nerve, but keep heading straight towards those rugged peaks. Only when the passengers start screaming "F***** Hell!" do you bank to the left at 90 degrees whilst pushing the nose of the aircraft straight at the ground. When the passengers start shouting "Oh my god!!", you pull up, landing half way down the runway, stopping just before you slide off into the bay of Calvi. >:D Simple really!

Yep, the Med certainly is a special region, and Corsica would make for a fantastic 'Full Fat' FTX project, maybe in combination with Sardinia.

Calvi airport will be nestled amongst those mountains:

oqlZf.jpg

And looks like snow on the Pyrenees still?

PfqcW.jpg

Thanks Marco (and all)! The Milan agglomaration is indeed dotted with small and larger commercial and industrial areas (the same around Turin, Padua, Piacenca, ... seems to be a busy region). This is Busto Arsizio with a view of the commercial area of Sacconago between LIMC Malpensa and downtown Milan - Magnagno and the forest of Bienate in the background:

RE openLC and UTX: please have a look at JV's statement here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/81186-important-openlc-eu-release-soon-ftx-global-is-mandatory-vector-recommended/?p=744253

Thank You Frank!!

The 'jet-lag' is slowly abating, but I'm still at that stage where 12 meals a day and San Miguel for breakfast feels normal lol. Calvi airport (for me) had an added interest, in that it was used by the USAAF in WW2, and I'm a bit of a military aviation history fanatic. I believe there is a submerged wreck of a B:17 out in the bay, but we weren't there long enough to explore the diving option.

As I sat there, supping the Italian red and watching the Dash 8s and various jet powered liners making their approach, I 'think' I grasped the technique.

What you have to do is this. Approach from the sea, and fly directly at the mountains. Don't lose your nerve, but keep heading straight towards those rugged peaks. Only when the passengers start screaming "F***** Hell!" do you bank to the left at 90 degrees whilst pushing the nose of the aircraft straight at the ground. When the passengers start shouting "Oh my god!!", you pull up, landing half way down the runway, stopping just before you slide off into the bay of Calvi. >:D Simple really!

Yep, the Med certainly is a special region, and Corsica would make for a fantastic 'Full Fat' FTX project, maybe in combination with Sardinia.

Calvi airport will be nestled amongst those mountains:

oqlZf.jpg

And looks like snow on the Pyrenees still?

PfqcW.jpg

Very nice pictures Mike! I think Open LC is really going to make these places look a lot more like that now... :smile: interesting seeing the snow on the Pyrenees in July...

It was interesting to read you story about your nice experience in Calvi...In fact, after reading it, I had to go and load myself up an Easyjet flight from Nice to Calvi (not sure if it really exists) just to get a better sense of what sounded like an interesting approach. Enjoyed the short hop and making that approach was great! Now, once OpenLC is unleashed, I'm going to do the same flight with the same places looking more like in your nice photos! Nice one!  :smile:

I'm glad Calvi has inspired you Sid. Sadly, I cannot recreate the approach into Calvi myself, because I just broke my joystick! I was playing around with the A2A P:51 when something went 'ping', and now I'm stuck with a fully deflected left rudder, which I can't even over-ride by assigning the rudder command to buttons. Grrr! Oh well, its not something you can live without, so we'll be on the cheese rolls again next week!

Right, I've just done some searching, and it looks as though I've misidentified what I thought was a Dash. It was in fact an AT72, which I've never before heard of, and wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a Dash anyway. But, being me, the revelation has been enough to scupper my hopes of flying the Majestic Dash into Calvi. The operator of this AT72 is Air Corsica by the way, and the flights we saw coming in from the Ship's Lido Bar >:D were originating from the French mainland, mainly Nice and Marseille.

Air France also operate their A320s to Calvi, and one starting point would be Paris. As I've not got an A320 I'm gonna have to explore the further options, of which there were a few.

The better news being, we did see a few light twins flying in, and my Beechcraft Duke will serve that purpose quite well.

Right, aware of the danger I might be getting a little self indulgent, effectively turning this thread into my personal holiday blog as well as a Corsican Tourist Board 'thumbs up', I will resist further temptation to add photographs :-[.

Resisted.

Resisted.

Nope, it got the better of me, and we now have a 'Mediterranean Impressions 11' thread anyway, so just one more. I was messing in photoshop, and I needed to show you the ruggedness of these peaks relative to the scale of the small town. As so often happens in the evening, the sea stays gloriously calm and sunny, whilst the islands become shrouded in cloud, giving you a further appreciation of how daunting an approach Calvi can be!

Kh94.jpg

Archived