AYPY Jacksons International, Papua New Guinea

Today myself and Ken Hall would like to introduce you to our Papua New Guinea experience!

Dreamed up in the middle of last year, we set out to provide not just an airport, but rather an Experience, to allow the user to totally immerse in the feeling of Papua New Guinea, after 3 months of pain-staking research and another 6 months of late nights, modeling, texturing and designing, countless coffees, and many bent Twinotters........we bring you the first of our Pacific Islands conquests (PI):

Jacksons International Airport (POM, AYPY), also known as Port Moresby Airport and and during WWII: 7 Mile Aerodrome, is located 5 miles outside of the capital city of Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea, it is the largest and busiest airport in the country, and is the main hub for Air Niugini the national airline of PNG, as well as the main hub for Airlines-PNG

10 x terrifying bushstrips and a helipad, following the Kokoda track up and over the foreboding Owen Stanley mountains.

Airports included in this experience are:

1. Jacksons International Airport

2. Kokoda Airport

3. Manari

4. Efogi

5. Myola abandoned airstrip

6. Launumu

7. Kagi

8. Bodinumo

9. Timkenumo

10. Boridi

11. Miliei

12. Isurava helipad

Other features:

- Pristine Papua New Guinea Holgermesh

- Hand crafted PRs for bush strips by our very own resident artist Ken Hall

- Hand placed Landclass around Jacksons INTL, and the Kokoda track

- Many hand drawn landclass polygons covering the Myola plains

- Many small unnamed villages following the Kokoda track.

- Meticulously drawn Kokoda track

- Custom Papua New Guinea AI - via an update to the FTX AU AI package (FSX)

- Custom painted Static Aircraft library (FSX/P3DV2)

- Custom Papuan GSE library

- Large library of custom Papua New Guinea vegetation providing a lush tropical feeling

- This product requires the FTXGlobal base pack http://www.fullterrain.com/product_ftxglobal.html

- It is also 100% compatible with FTX VECTOR and FSGlobal2010mesh (although not required)

OK now for the previews:

AYPY_final_001.jpg

AYPY_final_002.jpg

AYPY_final_003.jpg

AYPY_final_004.jpg

AYPY_final_005.jpg

AYPY_final_006.jpg

AYPY_final_007.jpg

AYPY_final_008.jpg

AYPY_final_009.jpg

AYPY_final_010.jpg

AYPY_final_011.jpg

AYPY_final_013.jpg

AYPY_final_014.jpg

AYPY_final_016.jpg

AYPY_final_017.jpg

AYPY_final_018.jpg

AYPY_final_019.jpg

AYPY_final_020.jpg

AYPY_final_021.jpg

AYPY_final_022.jpg

AYPY_final_023.jpg

AYPY_final_024.jpg

AYPY_final_025.jpg

Bush_001.jpg

Bush_002.jpg

Bush_003.jpg

Bush_004.jpg

Bush_005.jpg

Bush_006.jpg

Bush_007.jpg

Bush_008.jpg

Bush_009.jpg

Bush_010.jpg

Bush_011.jpg

Bush_012.jpg

Bush_013.jpg

Bush_014.jpg

Bush_015.jpg

Bush_016.jpg

Bush_017.jpg

Bush_018.jpg

Bush_019.jpg

Bush_020.jpg

And last but not least a map showing the location in the world and layout

PNG_package_area.jpg

Have a nice day!

Cheers

Tim Harris and Ken Hall

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm, now there's something to think about. Very nice and well done chaps. Hope it's no too soon the old credit cards taken a bit of a king hit lately with the current sale !! Also guys please no machette wielding natives. O0

Cheers, Kevin.

Very very exciting Tim  You have had me guessing for a long a time now when Ken showed a wee preview some months back.   I can not thank you two enough for taking on PNG.  She brings back a few memories looking at those mountain strips. Jacksons has changed a lot since I was there but your work looks amazing!  

Did you model the old "Gateway" hotel and the  Air Niugini DC-3 that is/was on the hill into Jacksons old terminal?  I think the DC-3 now stands out the front of the old Gateway Hotel?

Also I had reported ages ago that Vector was playing havoc with some of the other strips in and around PNG.  Do you know if these have been rectified yet?  Or is it best to un-install Vector?  (I use to fly a lot in PNG but Vector wrecked it for me).

Keep up the outstanding work and again, Thank you so much for PNG. I hope there will be more strips to tackle in the future.

Cheers.

Tim...

Fantastic guys, I have been waiting for those bush strips, I assume they will be added to the scenery library as they are not there now in Default FSX. Also great to see the full fat Port Moresby International airport.

Thanks

Regards

Ken

Fantastic guys, I have been waiting for those bush strips, I assume they will be added to the scenery library as they are not there now in Default FSX. Also great to see the full fat Port Moresby International airport.

Thanks

Regards

Ken

Port morseby and kokoda will be listed and you can start at either, the bush strips really are very easy to find, theres a track (Kokoda Track that you can follow all the way, cant miss em, theres the isurava Memorial with the chopper pad, several villages on the track till you reach Kagi, from there all the strips are within 5 min of each other, believe it or not the worlds shortest commercial flight is from Efogi to Kagi and takes about 90 seconds

enjoy the discovery fellas I have a recycle bin full of bent twin otters

cheers

Ken

Well done Tim and Ken. I think you will earn some pats on the back for doing this one. Something a little different is fantastic.

Thanks Trev,

I know you guys will enjoy it, warning though, stock up on aircraft as you will bend a few

THIS is the best i have seen so far despite the global projects of ORBX.

THIS looks so f.... Cool and now i am getting a new big airport for my 777. (she will fit in there will she ?)

Thanks al lot for this project gentlemen my creditcard is ready !

Carsten

Hi, very interesting and exotic and looks great! Now I notice that this isn’t an orbx region (as AUZ and NI) but part of orbx global, is this the new approach of Orbx? If so does this means one MUST be under orbx global to benefit from Orbx future developments?

Etienne

Yessssssssss! 

hang on wait...is global needed for this?

edit

hmm I see it is. I only fly regions so its a no go for me. I hope this is not going to be standard procedure where Global will be used like a sort of mesh for new regions

Hi Tim hi Ken,

you guys are great!!! This is the stuff i like :) the airsrips look pretty challenging but not unbeatable :D tthe chopper pad looks challenging too.

Lokking forward to this one :(

Good job!!!!

Well well, congrats Ken and Tim, as you may know or not I have been flying in Png like crazy lately. So yeah fantastic news and those screenshots are breathtaking, looks like a massive amount of work done thus far.I have new and old Otters so plenty too loose in final. If I have missed the finer details

1. Is this going to become a Full Fat region eventually?

2. Will there be other airports done?

You guys are absolute Champions!

Well well, congrats Ken and Tim, as you may know or not I have been flying in Png like crazy lately. So yeah fantastic news and those screenshots are breathtaking, looks like a massive amount of work done thus far.I have new and old Otters so plenty too loose in final. If I have missed the finer details

You guys are absolute Champions!

Hi Spok

Ive been watching your posts trying to bite my tongue, I was sworn to secrecy, we have upgraded the landclass around our area and thr PR's of the strips fill in the blanks, eventually global will do the whole of PNG and when imagery becomes available more airports and strips will be added, Tim and I just love the tropics and our next project is in the pacific somewhere.

think your gonna like the challenge of these strips

cheers Ken

This is the best news since Orbx announced they were going to do the UK. PNG is 'home' territory in my flight sim world as I run a little Air Hauler company in that area and down to Australia ( I'm based at Kerema ). Thanks so much for doing this ! :D

Brilliant announcement! And Port Moresby will also make for a fantastic medium-range destination from Cairns, or a slightly longer flight from Brisbane.

Looking forward to this...

Cheers

Mallard

To all the wonderful and supportive comments, I thank you from the bottom of my heart

To answer a few questions, allow me to try my best!

Did you model the old "Gateway" hotel and the  Air Niugini DC-3?

Yes I did, also including the 2 other mounted DC3s, but the high detail is kept within the airport fence which in return delivers blistering performance, something I care about greatly, my number one priority actually

Got my Air Nuigini liveries for my 146 and ATR72 loaded and I'm poised for launch.

There is a nice paint for the NGX and Q400 around too, though I must admit I'm a sucker for the Twinotter in AirlinesPNG paint :)

I assume they will be added to the scenery library as they are not there now in Default FSX.

None of the strips listed exist in FSX except for AYPY Jacksons, AYKO Kokoda has added to the Go-to list for convenience, but you must understand the other strips are not exactly...flat, and besides it will give you something to hunt ;)

I have a brother who worked on Bougainville I can already hear him pestering me, as to when that will be added to the

PNG experience

Finding suitable imagery in the Pacific is a hard task, cloud cover is the biggest hurdle to overcome, we got lucky with the project here regarding clouds, I will definitely consider Bouganville at some point

Something a little different is fantastic.

Thanks! that is exactly our intentions

Now I notice that this isn’t an orbx region but part of orbx global, If so does this means one MUST be under orbx global

to benefit from Orbx future developments?

FTXglobal basepack contains not only custom Orbx ground textures but also an extensive autogen library, I am not in the business of making scenery for default FSX, its just too bland and lifeless for me in both feel and colour palette, as for this being the 'modus' for future Orbx developments, we are (as far as I know) the only (Orbx) development team striking out to do something 'completely different' at present.

I only fly regions so its a no go for me. I hope this is not going to be standard procedure where Global will be used

like a sort of mesh for new regions

That is fine, you are more than entitled to your opinion!,

Let me also explain a little further... having worked with the FTX regions team for 6 years on Australia, New Zealand, and all the American regions (mostly Autogen, 3D POI models, Landclassing and Alaskan photoreal Glaciers etc) after a while one does need to just follow ones heart and dreams, the Pacific is mine and holds a special place forever, you can only work for so long on certain projects before you begin to 'tire', Flight simulation. development is a mostly thankless task at times, it evolves many long nights alone at the PC, many long days fighting silly FSX inconsistencies, involves lots of compromises and places strains on relationships and never really pleases the bank manager all that much, so to that end to continue you must do what you LOVE <3

The only requirement here is FTXGlobal base pack (which is already a 'Rough region pack' for the world), I will always provide the best terrain mesh and expert autogen annotations, and using my extensive inside-knowledge provide expert solutions to the more annoying aspects of non-region pack areas, as for 'flying only regions' that is perfectly fine and I understand your opinion totally, After all I have after spent the better part of this century helping to convert you to only fly FTX regions hehe ;)

Currently no (but I'm not JV however), the regions on the table atm are the rest of California and more of Alaska, these take a LOT of time, so the team needs to get these out of the way first!, but with OpenLC on the way for Asia/Oceania in the not too distant future this area will only improve more, and that excites me greatly, currently Scenerytech Indochina LC does a fab job if you wanted something as a stopgap,

I have done some extensive LC work to blend our work nicely into the island so this is not necessary, nor is VECTOR or FSGglobal2010mesh, while adding value they are not requirements

In PNG? you just never know, support us in this and there will be more, we are taking a stab in the dark here after all

Is there a rough estimate for a release date?

We have just hit Beta stage, we held it back more than any other project and only sprung it on the team yesterday haha, mostly everything is done, its just a matter of sorting out any bugs, I dont expect it will be all that long (no promises or dates though!)

And yes as Ken says we already have another Pacific project lined up, more on that later

And to finish up, I have not quite let all of the pigeons out of the bag on this one yet...... ;)

Cheers

Tim

Woow we at Andras Meridian Virtual Airlines have a network over there, and there will be a flying event for our members in some time hope it won't take to long to finish this wonderful scenery area judging from the screenshots it will be a very beautiful area can't wait to see the end result.

Cheers,

Ruud 

I think this is a terrific idea providing not only a single airport (which gets boring really quick) but rather a full experience to enjoy a specific area of a country which is not yet covered in FS. Keep up that idea. Africa would also be a great area to implement that new idea. I'm really looking forward to future projects along these lines. And to the complainers (which have unfortunately already come forward): Who doesn't own FTX Global? Sorry, but this is the most fundamental add-on for FSX and Prepar3d and asking for it as a requirement to run these new add-ons is really not asking much as most simmers own it anyways...

this is only airport that could not be found with this type of detail nobody has ever made it and ftx has now beat everybody to the punch well done absolutely stunning work wait ago i just can't wait to get my hands on this airport it is a must.

Archived