openLC EU final pricing

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm in as well. I think the price is extremely reasonable considering the man hours consumed.

I've always had faith in you and your vision John; even when you started VistaAus (is that the right title? Pre AussieX) all those years ago.

I will continue support of the team.

Cheers

Hank

Weren't the forests originally included in Vector and then taken out again to reduce system strain? - I could be wrong!

If so, I feel the price is very fair to both parties.

Looking forward to the release and just remember John - You and your team are no longer the saviours of FSX.

You are the saviours of the massive flight community in general.

We realise you have to turn a profit but I feel fair pricing between both parties will enable you to sell so many thousands more copies of Open LC EU - and Global and Vector come to think of it - to those stupid enough not to have had the trust, faith and confidence to do it already! - Do it!

Trust John and his team - It Works - As Mr Meerkat say's - Simples!

As John Say's - It is a set of "Layers and is one overall package, each layer, Global, Vector and the eagerly awaited LC just compliment each other" - For those of you that haven't made the investment yet, Just do it, you won't regret it!!

It is straightforward and simple to get them all Rocking together and just looks stunning!

So looking forward to the release of Open LC EU

Great news John!

Let's see, if I give up 2 bottles of wine or three 6 packs of GOOD micro-brews..... Hmm that's about US $30. And your team is impressing the wife enough that she asks which areas/airports I'd like for birthdays, anniversaries итд. ;)

Respectfully,

Brian

I'm not giving up my wine or my beer but the price sounds good to me..... ::)

Doug

Totally agree with everyone here...No problems at all. Well worth it and more than deserving of the price...Thank you! for the great updates in communication as always!

I must say I'd happily pay even more for the 2 or 3 Asias, Africa and South America packs because of their sheer size, diversity and the fact of how much difference will be made to these parts of the Orbx Orb... :smile:

I've only just noticed this thread! That's not a 'price', that's a tip. :D

Cracked me up big time.

To be honest, I expected a much higher price tag on this, based on the previews on show. I can't recall seeing any complaints so far, so you should feel happy John Venema. I think the main concern with everyone, and me too, is performance! If any product effects performance, you couldn't GIVE it to me. If it maintains or betters the performance I have now, I don't mind paying "proper" money for it. This isn't "proper" money, it's a steal.

.....Of course, this will make some of you unhappy but the reality is we're running a business and all our projects need to turn a profit at the end of the day. 

It's understandable that some may feel they've been slightly misled here, John. 

Many who spent £55 on Global and £35 on Vector - as well as a possible £45 on the Pilot's mesh like I did - would have done so with the intention of finalising this investment with openLC at what was originally priced at approximately £80 for the entire planet. Including the Pilot's mesh (which is worth every penny and is almost essential for Global to really shine) this investment would have cost approximately £215; a reasonable chunk of cash for the package I was getting, but not a package that I personally wanted to pay more for.  

But now we're told that the openLC packs have effectively doubled in price, and to own the entire Global package, with Pilot's mesh, it'll cost us (with current exchange rates) approximately £285, AU$520, US$490, Eu360. And that's presuming the other six regions sell for £21. Of course, there will be people that state we're getting the whole globe for such and such cost, blah, blah, blah, but the investment I originally bought into is now going to cost me at least £70 more, which is a significant extra cost.  

I understand you have to make money, John, I run my own business and I can't carry out work for nothing, and I'm not having a go at you, but in future it would be wise to not state, "Each openLC pack will cost less than AU$19 (£11.50 / €13 / USD17.50). Final pricing has not yet been determined yet, but it won't exceed AU19 per pack.", until you've properly evaluated the actual required work involved in such a large project. 

I'm sure the entire Global package will transform the world into a beautiful place to fly, but it'll have cost me almost £300, so I expect nothing less.

I hope the release of EU openLC runs smoothly for you guys. :)  

That was written over a year ago when the product was in gestation and was going to be a simple 1km x 1km landclass addon using just FTX Global textures plus a few new classes.

Development time/cost was then measured as 90 days.

Now we have effectively added 600 new unique, triple the initial number, and it has taken three times as long as initially thought.

So please be grateful I have not tripled the cost.

If you don't see the value, don't buy it, simple as that :)

Hobbies, don't they cost a fortune? Try golf, motor racing, yachting, in fact almost anything you take up seriously, or even semi-seriously, will COST! As for flight simming, in terms of £s, $s, €s, ¥, per hour, doesn't amount to much. Too much free stuff around and it spoils folk. ::)

Like I said, John, it's not wise to state a price when you're not sure that you can keep to that price. If you hadn't of said anything you could have tripled the cost. Who would have known?

I'm sure you've learned a lesson, I know I have.

And of course I'll be buying openLC, that was my intention from the outset. Only now, the whole openLC package is going to set me back over three of the latest full FTX regions more than what I was originally told when I bought into Global. Let's hope you guys don't have any problems with the rest of the openLC planet, otherwise triple the cost may not be enough. ;)

I learn lessons with this business daily, the moment I claim to know it all is when I hang up my hat and do something else :)

I do find it amusing however, just how much business advice I am continually being offered. Thus far most of my decisions (even under cries of protest from customers) have been the right ones for Orbx.

But I am not too proud or arrogant to never admit I am wrong, as many long termers here will attest to me eating humble pie on more than a few occasions.

Thanks for all your effort Mr. Venema. I am really happy with your products...

If you allow me with One suggestions : why not a huge sale on the Europe airports and regions for the launching of OpenLC EU ? It will help to increase the sale of these airports, which are not at the equivalent level of sale than NA stuff, as you said in another trade.  

Just an another "business advice" LOL!

Have a good day... and sale with OpenLC

Michel

(Sorry for my English)

I learn lessons with this business daily, the moment I claim to know it all is when I hang up my hat and do something else :)

I do find it amusing however, just how much business advice I am continually being offered. Thus far most of my decisions (even under cries of protest from customers) have been the right ones for Orbx.

But I am not too proud or arrogant to never admit I am wrong, as many long termers here will attest to me eating humble pie on more than a few occasions.

No worries! You got there! Now just refine the procedures to other areas of the planet!

As for the price, even though you will not earn much now, keeping your understanding within the reasonable costs for future releases which will be much smaller: the learning curve and operational efficiency in the development of the necessary job has already reached its plateau!

Cheers,

Yesterday I went shopping and bought food for €25..... Can you imagine, how small the amount of products was? And the worst thing was... It was eaten up the same evening...

There was a time, I spend 200€ for VFR Germany... It has never got Updates, it has never got a second (or third or fourth) season, because "too huge", too expensive " and its now laying uninstalled and unuseful in a corner...

No, €25 for such an improvement and fun for month is really more than OK!

And: We could have the situation, that it would cost the same amount to use it in P3Dv2, but we get it free!

Pity, that I'm just now in sweden for 4 weeks in my holiday cottage and have a limited mobile account for my Internet connection :(....

Looking forward to seeing what friends are saying about it and looking to the following Screenshots...!

Stephan

I agree with Ron, this hobby is a heck of a lot cheaper than others.

When I think how much each individual Ultimate Terrain X cost me for FSX I think this is very fair indeed (and Global/openLC etc looks a hell of a lot prettier!).

I will be splurging on Vector, FS Global and open Lc in the near future, firstly though I have a car to MoT and wedding duties to undertake. I will though, look on to your screenshots with envy!!!

Simon

I think the price is quite fair comparing to products that focus only to a very small area. I also agree that OpenLc is parted because of much of simmers of argue they don't ever fly over places too far from their home so what for paying for that....

How does the openLC Europe work with the FTX European regions that have already been produced, like Scotland and Ireland?  How should you place them in the scenery files?

Thanks in advance.

Just bought it. My beautiful wife spends about £30 a fortnight to have her nails done. So this release is less than a set of nail work!!!! Bargain in my view!!!!

Regards,

Keith

Brilliant post! and your views look different every time you fly, her nails look the same every time she looks at them.....well for two weeks anyway :)

That was written over a year ago when the product was in gestation and was going to be a simple 1km x 1km landclass addon using just FTX Global textures plus a few new classes.

Development time/cost was then measured as 90 days.

Now we have effectively added 600 new unique, triple the initial number, and it has taken three times as long as initially thought.

If you don't see the value, don't buy it, simple as that :)

Hi JV,

can you please confirm this Information?

- default FSX offers 147 landclass types.

- with openLC you add 600? additional landclass types.

+Therefore you replace the default LC-table-file in FSX.

- In 2016+ there will be an openLC 2.0 with lower resolution than 1km

Many Thanks!

600 textures divided by either 7, 8 or 16 depending on the class type so actually we are closer to the 256 class limit.

OpenLC 2.0 will use poly LC for villages and better definition, but that is some way off.

Eventually we want to add 3D models for thousands of POIs worldwide, probably OLC 3.0

Archived