Bitdefender detected FTXCentral.exe as a virus

curts

Hi,

Then I tried to install the latest version of Orbxlibs 140405 Bitdefender detected FTXCentral.exe as a virus.

And I or Bitdefender managed to remove the FTXCentral.exe file.

So now I need to reinstall FTXCentral to restore all files. How do I do that?

And I have made an exclusion for all FSX files.

/Curt

Curt,

Avast! does the same thing, which is why they recommend that we temporarily disable the antivirus software during installations.

I believe that if you simply reinstall a patch, say Pacific Northwest 008 for example, you should get FTXCENTRAL.exe back.

Respectfully,

Brian

Curt,

Avast! does the same thing, which is why they recommend that we temporarily disable the antivirus software during installations.

I believe that if you simply reinstall a patch, say Pacific Northwest 008 for example, you should get FTXCENTRAL.exe back.

Respectfully,

Brian

Hi,

Thanks for your answer!

I have never had any problems until yesterday and the install of Orbxlibs.

I will try to install a patch and see if that helps.

/Curt

Hi,

I have installed a couple of patches but none of them restored ftxcentral.exe.

How can I get ftxcentral.exe back?

/Curt

Did a full instal of FTX Global + update. And now I have FTXCentral back again.

And the update Orbxlibs worked as it should with no problems.

/Curt

The problem you encountered had nothing to do with the new libraries, but with Bitdefender's virus definitions that suddenly flagged the exe as a possible virus. In other words: a false positive. I experienced it too yesterday and it was the first time ever it did this (I had not updated the libraries). Luckily, I have Bitdefender set in a way that it "merely" moves the file to quarantine. However, I had to exclude the FTXCentral-folder from scanning. The same thing happened with the "LGIR Traffic.exe" that is part of Aerosoft's Heraklion-scenery. There's probably a new virus rampant that makes AV-manufacturers extra cautious and those exe-files may on the surface seem to exhibit the same "behaviour" as the virus. That's the disadvantage of heuristic scanning.

It also pays to make back-ups ;D .

Yesterday,my F-secure(from TalkTalk) flagged up Central.exe as infected with a trojan.I have never had a trojan malware before.F-secure quarantines the .exe file and any attempt to restore the file or download a new Central(in my case I used the Iceland demo) results in the file being quarantined as  soon as it appears as a shortcut on the desktop.Basically,Fsecure won't allow Cental to work.

The trojan is listed as 'generic' which made me suspicous that it may be a false positive.I downloaded the full version of AG protection as a trial and the trojan never showed up on full scan or specific scan of the central.exe file.I get the F-secure as part of my TalkTalk package and do not want to pay for any protection as it is just yet another cost to add to computing.

Over the weeken I installed fs global 2010.It seemed to run ok and then the trojan occurred.So, I have spent hours investigating this possibilty as a cause (uninstalls etc) but I tyhink it was just coincidence.

You can restore the file, but what you need to do is to temporarily disable your AV-program (if you want to be safe, disconnect your computer from the Internet first), then restore the file from quarantine. Next you exclude the folder that the exe resides in from scanning by your AV-program. After you've done that you can reenable your AV again.  Simply restoring the file from quarantine won't work, because your AV obviously will flag the file as a virus again (remember, it still thinks it's a virus). We can only hope AV-manufacturers will update their virus definitions so the file won't get erronously flagged as a virus.

Archived