NEW!: CYSE Squamish, BC for FSX, P3D and P3Dv2

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply amazing!!

The incredible thing these days is that it's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between a real aviation picture and a flight simulation picture. I often have to look a bit harder to see which one it is because of close they have become.

Cheers,

Craig

I'm going down the punch list and catching the last little details. It's a short list.

I haven't really shown any details of the airport until I finished and mapped the polys.I wanted the surfaces to look ultra convincing so I used a different approach for the various asphalt and concrete pads and taxiways. 

As always, the shots are un-retoucned screen caps. HDR lighting is enabled for all but the night shots.

CYSE airport in her full glory. Enjoy

Glacier Air Hangar

CYSE_Beta_93_zps64109379.jpg

Glacier Air hangar resembles a NASCAR shop. My reference material shows either a J3 or 172 suspended. I chose the Cub. Kudos to the folks at Glacier for maintaining such a beautiful operation.

CYSE_Beta_94_zps0e928e52.jpg

Blackcomb Aviation helo nest. The dolly is landable.

CYSE_Beta_108_zpsab2d6065.jpg

Taxi out of the Black Tusk hangars.

CYSE_Beta_98_zps5081c991.jpg

Main taxi to GAP, Black Tusk or Glacier Air.

CYSE_Beta_95_zps5450bdd8.jpg

Black Tusk hangar parking.

CYSE_Beta_97_zps275c0298.jpg

Dirt taxi path to Rwy 33. Striking objets will result in a crash. It's real world tight through here and I placed rocks all through the pucker brush.

CYSE_Beta_100_zps07baf29e.jpg

Taxi from Black Tusk hangar towards main parking. All of the placements are based on real world, it's snug.

CYSE_Beta_96_zpscbeb17aa.jpg

Taxi to the Black Tusk hangar. Only light aircraft will fit these narrow taxi ways.

CYSE_Beta_99_zps00794e1b.jpg

Black Tusk service hangar parking at heavy winter.

CYSE_Beta_104_zpsb301f39a.jpg

CYSE general aviation parking.

CYSE_Beta_101_zps7aa2a29f.jpg

Blackcomb Aviation helo pads at night.

CYSE_Beta_106_zps9c6259fe.jpg

Blackcomb Aviation helo pads at heavy winter.

CYSE_Beta_102_zps6d21dbb3.jpg

Black Tusk hangar parking at heavy winter.

CYSE_Beta_105_zpsfe6dfcd4.jpg

GA helo fuel pads at night. I worked with high def photos, generously provided by Peter Legere. Rest assured, it's really this tight at Squamish.

CYSE_Beta_107_zpseae0beb8.jpg

I think the last time I had a tear in my eye was when my kids were born...

Or was it when they left home?

Whenever it was, this scenery really excites my sense of anticipation.

And Tipella to follow too. Magic stuff Gordon.

Thank you.

Not too bad, Gordon, not bad at all!

But I think - I may repeat may self - that you should open a new post for every set of pictures you show us. 

I sometimes miss one of your continuing posts!

I'm punching out the last tweaks, so the next thread will be the release announcement. No more pics for this thread.

Ohhh great! That's good news!

"Release announcement" sounds good in my ears! 8)

I've completed the work and I am tidying up the files for release. I'm handing Squamish over to the team for final testing and approval. Once approved you'll see a product release blog. I'll have all of the release info posted there along with screens of the final work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gordon, when you release this fantastic addon area and airport, could you please perhaps include what texture presets from (REX and/or REX4) you have been using in your latest screenshots in this thread? They are simply breathtaking and for me I'm having a hard time finding anything close to what those clouds, skies and sun look like using REX 4. Also, if that's real weather being generated that looks so spectacular, maybe you could save the weather files from those situations.

I think many would be glad to pre-pay on a project this size as well. :)

Cheers

Andrew (Jocko)

I'll post up my settings once we release Andrew. I'm running Rex/Rex4, also have OPUS but don't have the time to explore that one much.

I definitely have good and great weather days. It's all down to live weather. With the new lighting and shadows it gets even better. I take my screens on the days that really stand out.

FYI: keep your IFR skills sharp, Squamish has a low ceiling. I put an IFR in for this reason, even though real world has none. I didn't think anyone would mind too much.

No need to prepay. Workload is super high and the team has a lot of plates in the air. My RTM is being cleared for TO right now.

Thanks for your compliments on the screenies. There will be a new set for the release blog...mostly P3Dv2 but also FSX.

BTW: I see comments about P3Dv2 being too dark. Here's what I do. If I want FSX to look more like P3Dv2 I run DX10 with the fixer and bump up my Nvidia gamma settings a tad. If I want to tone down P3Dv2, I do the reverse with the gamma.

Also turn off HDR lighting at night in P3Dv2.

Cheers

FYI: keep your IFR skills sharp, Squamish has a low ceiling. I put an IFR in for this reason, even though real world has none. I didn't think anyone would mind too much.

I would keep that optional. There are those of us who do like our sim matching reality.

'll post up my settings once we release Andrew. I'm running Rex/Rex4, also have OPUS but don't have the time to explore that one much.

Cheers

Great to hear Gordon. It would be nice to be able to try an IFR at that airport, those that don't like it can simply not use it, quite simple. I've been turning off HDR at night like you recommended and it really helps to bring up the lighting conditions back to "normal". I *think* it's just a case of LM fine tuning HDR and other graphical settings in future releases.

Keep up the great work Gordon. :)

At this point and time the development environment is extremely fluid...in a good way. LM will certainly keep bringing better refinements to the table and we'll design around the platform.

The ILS is hard coded into the airport itself, so there is no real way to offer an option to switch. I wanted to make the simulation as flexible as possible, so I included the IFR option. I've flown many VRF approaches in real weather Squamish soup (sim, not real world). Using landmarks works fine and is pretty exciting when you only have a couple hundred feet ceiling, and the trees take up half that space. Great fun.

On the other hand, an ILS approach in near zero visibility can be equally as stimulating. Either way...it should keep everyone satisfied.

Archived