NEW!: CYSE Squamish, BC for FSX, P3D and P3Dv2

The vector light bulb effect doesn't cast it's own light or affect anything around it.

That would be an item idea for development for sure, and one I'm looking into after we release Squamish. The actual light fixture does cast a shadow that represents the shape of the fixture itself.

I have to say, if you could develop the vector light bulb effect to cast light that would allow textures to receive light as well as the light effect that can create shadows, then the flight sim community would be eternally grateful, plus much of the community would have another very solid reason to migrate to P3D and would purchase FTX Global Vector.  This could put the night scenery on par with the X-Plane 10 night visuals, which many people rave about.  Best of luck to you in working on this.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, if you could develop the vector light bulb effect to cast light that would allow textures to receive light as well as the light effect that can create shadows, then the flight sim community would be eternally grateful, plus much of the community would have another very solid reason to migrate to P3D and would purchase FTX Global Vector. This could put the night scenery on par with the X-Plane 10 night visuals, which many people rave about. Best of luck to you in working on this.

Flightsim community? Speak for yourself. I'm interested in 'flight' sim not 'light' sim :)

Release data? No not until it's finished ;)

I'll answer the last few posts in this one blurb.

There is good lighting available it just needs to be modified to a specific purpose. Quite a few payware aircraft have exceptional lighting that does illuminate textures and terrain. I'll be experimenting with that on the next build.

I put the beta in a holding pattern waiting for the P3D 2.2.10437.0 patch to be signed to the ObjectFlow .dll. There were a number of changes to our .dll in the last few days leading up to the release of the LM patch. I didn't want to hotfix my new airport immediately after release, so I held it until we signed off on the LM patch. Don't worry...I kept adding bits to the build in the interim.

The build is signed to the new LM patch and is currently on the server for Ed to build an installer. I'm finishing the User Guide for use in the beta. This is a sophisticated build that needs to be set up properly. The User Guide has all the data.

I'll stress the importance of studying the User Guide before flying Squamish. There are three fully developed environments in this build and each has it's own resources. You don't want to load all three at once...trust me.

Watch for the release announcement.

I know I can't, but I'm sure I'll very much want to :P

I'll put it into perspective...I test it WFO full sliders on my rig and make about 18 FPS when I hit Squamish center mass. When I move away from the high load zone I bump back up into the twenties.

When I build a two card system it will purr like a kitten. Most guys don't have the $$$ tech to run that kind of horsepower, so I set it up to be managable. Bottom line, I built a ton of stuff into Squamish...it's a lot of bang for the buck. The CP is set up to make it all work.  ;)

Don't worry...I kept adding bits to the build in the interim.

P3D2ers, get your submersible ready! I suppose there's a pirate chest somewhere at the bottom of the Howe Sound :lol:

Looking forward to this one, regular stomping ground IRL :)

Looks terrific, this'll be my P3D impetus. At some point soon I'll have to work out what Vancouver-and-surrounds addons are P3Dable (Vancouver+ etc) for the best coverage up and down the coast here. 

Cheers!

Iain

I installed Vancouver+ using EMT. You have to add the two directories ("High priority" and "Low Priority") manually to the scenery library but that's all of the fuss I had. No problem. FSDT's CYVR in its newest version has a P3D2 installer.

Thanks guys, appreciated! I'll be getting CYVR, the hop up to Squamish is great. Would love a CZBB (Van+ does Langley and Pitt Meadows, from memory). 

Nice place to fly around :) 

Does Squamish have the new cable car, I wonder?

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be the icing on the cake with Vancouver+ and Victoria+ and 11S this will be superb to fly in in P3D 2.2! 8)  

I installed Vancouver+ using EMT. You have to add the two directories ("High priority" and "Low Priority") manually to the scenery library but that's all of the fuss I had. No problem. FSDT's CYVR in its newest version has a P3D2 installer.

OT: My I ask how is the performance in that area with Vanc+ and the CYVR-airport in P3D 2.2? Is there room for Don Grovestine's CZBB? 

If you you are not yet aboard the P3D2 bandwagon, you soon will be; FSX can never render this place in the same way. Study the screenshots and look how the way light plays with object and grass creates a whole new level of reality.

Welcome to the future; now ...

Bravo John. I have never been this excited about any release as much as this one. I know this is gonna blow the socks off of everything else and will most likely see a huge surge for P3D2.2.

This looks incredible and Gordon really is a true artist! 

Here's a bump guys...been down the rabbit hole since we went into Beta, but I thought you'd appreciate an update.

The beta team gave me a bunch of great input. I've made a number of adjustments based on their input, and tuned the build up.

One major change/improvement...P3Dv2 lighting required that I re-evaluate my ground poly bump files and make some technical changes. What has previously worked fine in FSX was creating an anomally in V2. The take away from my R&D in this area is illustrated below. I've added specular mapping to the GP, and the results in HDR light conditions are absolutely stunning.

FYI: The effects will be appreciable in FSX also.

All of the ground polys reflect light depending on direction, time of day and weather. Asphalt throws light depending on the brightness of the pebbles. Concrete throws light differently than asphalt. Winter is especially good with the snow and ice on the runway displaying a characteristic glare. The reflected light changes with cloud cover and shadows as the weather moves across your field of view.

The screens below don't really do the effect justice, but you will get your chance to see it yourself very soon. In motion this effect is ultra lifelike.

The ground poly is the last big change, and I've got that pretty well wrapped up. All that's left is a bit of clutter and ObjectFlow code to integrate and Squamish is a done deal.

This build took longer than expected, all a result of my taking time to evaluate the awesome new resources available in P3Dv2 and attempting to take the design to the next level. This place is like nothing you've seen yet...and definitely an indication of things to come.

Thank you all for you incredible comments, patience and support.

Gman

CYSE_Beta_89_zps92721b12.jpg

CYSE_Beta_91_zpsf6d14b3e.jpg

CYSE_Beta_88_zpsc7158b08.jpg

CYSE_Beta_92_zps9830faf9.jpg

CYSE_Beta_90_zps6ce8892a.jpg

Gordon, I really do think you're the first to really push what P3D2.2 can do.

Those that still think it's just FSX dressed up, need to look and think again. Now we have a dedicated P3D2.2 scenery, and not just any....  but Squamish... and put together by someone I really consider a true artist.

This scenery will have infinite replay value as now there are millions of combinations of lighting, reflections to play with.

This just looks incredible and something which I have never seen before... if I had to chose just one scenery to use.. Squamish would be it!

Thank you and the rest of the team for all your hard work and take your time sculpting this beauty until final release... though, I seriously can't wait! 

Look what good developers can do with P3D2. This is one of the first airports that take (full?) advantage of the new features of P3D2.

Looks very, very nice, Gordon, and the new features sound very promising!

Sound like if you made some experiences that will give the whole team (I assume that you share your knowledge and experience with the other Orbx-developers) new opportunities to play with.

Some developers consider Prepar3d a necessary evil, others a chance. Great you ORBX guys choose the second approach. 

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks guys.

First, I'll emphasize that the other devs are incredibly talented and creative in their own right, and I'm still deep in the learning curve. If I can contribute in some way to help others enhance their work, I'm quite happy to share my techniques (always in development) with the team. I will, of course, be constantly experimenting in an attempt to improve the overall sim experience for everyone's enjoyment.

P3Dv2:

The LM platform is a realization of where FSX was intended to go. The LM dev team deserves their due credit for the brilliant work they have done with the simulator. Personally, I didn't really have any attachments to the FSX vs. P3D debates and only took on the V2 platform when I began the work on Squamish. In my experience, the simulation is vastly different than FSX and absolutely loaded with potential.

IMHO

I've got three more airports in development for NorCal at this time. You should begin to see these reasonably soon after I finish Squamish. I'll take what I've learned in this project and apply those techniques to the works in progress.

Archived