VECTOR V1.2 - *Massive* improvement to NA - here's a preview

Guys - I'm not at all familiar with that part of the world, but the pictures tell their own story. Good choice which seems to have paid off handsomely. Fine work. Thanks once again! I will now familiarise myself with Arkansas!

Indeed we could have spent 5 years to make it 'perfect' but we chose to give customers the benefit of the product now and continually upgrade during improved data acquisitions and adding new tech etc.

Your attitude is the right one and in tune with modern times.

Cheers,

Sinesio

I'm not surprised to see such a huge improvement; this is a massive project, and will no doubt have many further rounds of work to evolve it.

All very much worth it, as once the updated LCs become available from ORBX, we'll really have the full layer cake!

I can already see hints of this in the 80% of what's working now, even with the default LC; amazing steps forward.

Hang in there and thanks for all the immense effort!!!

That looks pretty amazing.  

I'm looking forward to flying around Botswana in the Okavango region with the new Vector update.  

Though this would indeed be great, unforunately if I understand correctly this new data source is only for the US - so probably no improvement to regions in other parts of the world.

Though this would indeed be great, unforunately if I understand correctly this new data source is only for the US - so probably no improvement to regions in other parts of the world.

Oh?

Will Africa be getting a detailed update at some point?

Oh?

Will Africa be getting a detailed update at some point?

AFAIK ORBX will release OpenLC products for all regions including Africa within the next few years. However, even this will have no impact on vector data like rivers and streams. I don`t know how the Okavango delta looks like with Vector (haven`t tried it yet), but the FSX default is awful - a few ponds in a desert, nothing like the real thing (been there 2 years ago). I guess the problem is that most of the data available for developers is derived from geological surveys conducted by governments or universities, and these countries just don`t have that kind of exact data available like the US or European countries have. Even satellite imagery of those regions tends to have a much lower resolution than what you see in Europe or the US (just try to zoom in with Google Earth over a random place in Africa and you´ll know what I mean). I think that`s why most developers don`t want to do sceneries for these regions, the lack of data will always show in the product. I hope this will change someday, but at the moment I´m happy flying over America and Europe and enjoy what I see.

Cheers,

Fabian

The two photos are an unspoken testimony to the application of Orbx.

Not to sound churlish, but much of the landclass and vector info in Aus 4 is quite ordinary.   Any chance of the same treatment?

But I thank you for Vector 1.2 to come, and the huge step forward involved.

• 2 weeks later...

@macca22au: After version 1.2 we will look for other data sources (I have some of them already downloaded on my disk but didn't have the time to check their quality etc); that's why I can't promise improvements for specific countries after version 1.2 :).

@Khyle Cruz: Hard to say, it's a lot of data and a big area that needs a lot of testing. Stay tuned for more screenshots and more information.

Bernd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived