VECTOR V1.2 - *Massive* improvement to NA - here's a preview

Bernd has shared with the team just a single comparison in Arkansas that shows the DRAMATIC improvement to North America that moving from OSM to USGS NHD data for the USA and GeoBase NHN data for Canada has done.

Note how the new data has a vastly denser water body definition, even showing every orphaned river section to the east of Little Rock, where previously there was only one or two. Complete river systems, streams and more accurate road networks have also been added. You can now see how even the default landclass compliments the path of the White River to the east. There is a substantial benefit from moving from OSM to more accurate and vetted data. The approach to KLIT (especially at dusk) will be spectacular!

arepU.jpg

V1kzy.jpg

We said from the beginning that VECTOR is your investment in a continually improving product, and this is just one example of how each version will get better and better, especially if you guys keep those reports coming in. We always knew it would have warts, but it's getting better as time goes by particularly as we source more accurate data.

Vector 1.2 is being worked on now, and there will be an interim V1.15 release shortly which solves most if not all the AEC issues people are having.

Yours in updates!

Is there an equivalent of USGS providing the same resolution of data for Europe, Africa, and Asia?

Marc

No. There are data sources for other parts of the world, but some of them are way too expensive and for many countries they're simply not available in this resolution. Also, every country released their own data sets and these data sets are very often not adjusted to match the datasets of neighbour countries.

However, the source data we have used for Europe is far better than the OSM data for the US, so the difference wouldn't be that big in Europe. We will look for other data sources (and I already have some) for updates after V1.2 but all I can promise is that they'll increase the quality of the product. Don't know how they are compared to USGS NHD etc.

Bernd

As one of the people that tipped you off about the USGS dataset, I should add that there is a nice ArcGIS coverage for Euopean rivers, which is free for non-commercial use. You have to contact the auhors about commercial application, though.

HydroSHEDS (Hydrological data and maps based on SHuttle Elevation Derivatives at multiple Scales) provides hydrographic information in a consistent and comprehensive format for regional and global-scale applications. HydroSHEDS offers a suite of geo-referenced data sets (vector and raster), including stream networks, watershed boundaries, drainage directions, and ancillary data layers such as flow accumulations, distances, and river topology information. HydroSHEDS is derived from elevation data of the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) at 3 arc-second resolution. Available HydroSHEDS resolutions range from 3 arc-second (approx. 90 meters at the equator) to 5 minute (approx. 10 km at the equator) with seamless near-global extent.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9062a1b2f48a4e04aa8b45df19b8ff40

As one of the people that tipped you off about the USGS dataset, I should add that there is a nice ArcGIS coverage for Euopean rivers, which is free for non-commercial use. You have to contact the auhors about commercial application, though.

HydroSHEDS (Hydrological data and maps based on SHuttle Elevation Derivatives at multiple Scales) provides hydrographic information in a consistent and comprehensive format for regional and global-scale applications. HydroSHEDS offers a suite of geo-referenced data sets (vector and raster), including stream networks, watershed boundaries, drainage directions, and ancillary data layers such as flow accumulations, distances, and river topology information. HydroSHEDS is derived from elevation data of the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) at 3 arc-second resolution. Available HydroSHEDS resolutions range from 3 arc-second (approx. 90 meters at the equator) to 5 minute (approx. 10 km at the equator) with seamless near-global extent.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9062a1b2f48a4e04aa8b45df19b8ff40

The problem with HydroSHEDS is, that is doesn't contain the actual river polygons but only stream lines which is not sufficient to make good-looking FSX scenery. However, if you think that they have these polygons (and I just don't find them), feel free to write a PM or answer this post :).

Thanks,

Bernd

Man, that difference is amazing. I thought what I already have is very good, but it's amazing to see the differences in detail between the two. I'm definitely looking forward to this, even though it has a ways to go. Thanks for the preview. :)

I am currently crossing the USA from east to west using Global, Vector 1.1  and FTX Terrain Mesh 2010.

The entire continent has become one huge terrain package!

With the advent of Vector 1.2 etc. and Open LC I can see the demise of terrain packages altogether, with the developers focussing on airports only ...

Wow, Wow, Triple Wow............a shot using Arkansas as an example.............  Show more.  I've been holding off on purchasing Vector because I've been spending most of my sim allowance on regional scenery.  Arkansas is my home state and it has a lot of awesome scenery.  Please, some pics from a lower altitude and of some of the Northeastern part of the state, showing the Mississippi River and the delta farmland.  I'm sold, on Vector as soon as finances allow, can't wait for the landclass project to be finished also.  I have been using FSGenesis for North America for a long time, it is not great, but better than default.  Please, more shots of vector 1.2 showing roads.

Wow again.

Barry

I am currently crossing the USA from east to west using Global, Vector 1.1  and FTX Terrain Mesh 2010.

With the advent of Vector 1.2 etc. and Open LC I can see the demise of terrain packages altogether, with the developers focussing on airports only ...

correction - for "terrain" please read "regional" ...

Wow, Wow, Triple Wow............a shot using Arkansas as an example.............  Show more.  I've been holding off on purchasing Vector because I've been spending most of my sim allowance on regional scenery.  Arkansas is my home state and it has a lot of awesome scenery.  Please, some pics from a lower altitude and of some of the Northeastern part of the state, showing the Mississippi River and the delta farmland.  I'm sold, on Vector as soon as finances allow, can't wait for the landclass project to be finished also.  I have been using FSGenesis for North America for a long time, it is not great, but better than default.  Please, more shots of vector 1.2 showing roads.

Wow again.

Barry

Hi Barry!

Since I'm not from that area (not even from the US), can you give me an ICAO code or a city name which is near the area you want to have screenshots from? If yes, I can easily make them and upload them to this thread :).

Thanks,

Bernd

Hi Barry!

Since I'm not from that area (not even from the US), can you give me an ICAO code or a city name which is near the area you want to have screenshots from? If yes, I can easily make them and upload them to this thread :).

Thanks,

Bernd

Bernd, thanks for the offer.  I will ask for two.  If you have time and want to make a few more, I will be happy to suggest more.  First, this is a small town airport in eastern Arkansas, across the Mississippi River from Tennessee.  It is in the Mississippi Delta, Cotton Country.   Osceola, Arkansas   7M4   .  The second is in north central Arkansas, near my present home, Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas  6M2.  If you can take screen shots showing roads, I will be very appreciative.  Thanks in advance

Barry

Go and buy NCA and you will see that there won't be a demise of regional packages. 

Not until they start releasing regional airport packs but were getting closer. Most all small to medium airports are still sterile little strips devoid of content and buildings. Regions are still king but at least this will allow me to be far less aware that I have crossed over from a region into default scenery. At least until I land. Ha!

C.

Hallo John,

such a speed with your updates and new versions, it´s really great, thank you very much for this product...

...but it makes it a little bit difficult for a review with your astonishing work, but you wrote this in the manual. FTX Global Vector is not only a product, it´s a project...  O0

Archived