Yakutat: Where Canoes Rest

I'm excited to show off my latest project, Yakutat Airport for the first time! This has been a long labor of love working on Yakutat. My interest in Yakutat dates back to the legendary Glacier Bay freeware for FS2004 when Yakutat was my base for exploring southeastern Alaska. Some info about Yakutat:

Yakutat is a small Alaskan town of 662 northwest of Juneau. The town was settled by the indigenous Eyak and Tlingit people, the name meaning "place where canoes rest". Today it's primary activity is fishing with fishermen flying into the airport via regular airline service to Juneau and Cordova, provided by Alaska Airlines. From there they are flown out to the bush or on to more remote destinations such as Icy Bay or Yakataga, provided by Alsek Air Service. The airport was established in 1940 as Yakutat Army Airfield and later transitioned to a public airport. It's iconic WWII hangar is currently undergoing renovations to transition into a community resource with shops, restaurants, an aviation museum, and a movie theatre. 

Features:
-Ultra detailed Yakutat Airport designed with advanced modelling and ambient occlusion techniques
-Huge coverage area covering the Yakutat Peninsula, township, and islands.
-Bonus airfield: A68 Situk Airport, northeast of Yakutat airport
-Compatible with FSX, DX10 Preview Mode, P3Dv1, and P3Dv2

Coverage:

coverage.jpg

Preview:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

33.jpg

Love this, sold. But this presupposes a P3Dv2 compatible Alaska Region, doesn't it?

Kind regards, Michael

Love this, sold. But this presupposes a P3Dv2 compatible Alaska Region, doesn't it?

Kind regards, Michael

Southern Alaska's Prepar3Dv2 installer is currently in the works. It will most likely be released by the time Yakutat is done :)

I've been waiting on this one! Alex, what sim did you take these shots in?  Almost looks like some are in P3D is why I ask.

These are actually FSX, DX9, with no ENB or SweetFX. The only thing installed is SAK, Yakutat, REX Essentials, and FS Water Configurator. I'm out of town all week so these are all from my laptop. Once I'm back at my desktop I can make some P3Dv2 screenshots with all the shadows turned on. A bunch of our beta testers have P3Dv2 so some shots may surface before then.

These are actually FSX, DX9, with no ENB or SweetFX. The only thing installed is SAK, Yakutat, REX Essentials, and FS Water Configurator. I'm out of town all week so these are all from my laptop. Once I'm back at my desktop I can make some P3Dv2 screenshots with all the shadows turned on. A bunch of our beta testers have P3Dv2 so some shots may surface before then.

Nice work Alex - this projects stinks of goodness, extreme goodness. 

Can't wait to pick this up.

Cheers,

Jas

Yes there is quite a lot of 3D grass, possibly more than any other Orbx airport but I don't have any solid numbers. For P3Dv2 there will be a comprehensive control panel, it will perform most of the functions of ObjectFlow, albeit manually.

And the 737 is static, on a control panel toggle so that anybody needing the gate can make use of it :)

This is looking VERY impressive Alex! Well done! It matches my recollections of the place in real life. I am delighted to see this airfield come to P3D2! :)

IIRC in winter they pile the snow from the tarmac up a huge mound/s (and it takes months to melt, even into the summer. The mounds turn from crisp white to dirty grey as the season progresses and they melt!). Can this be modeled too?

Can we assume that as this'll be SAK scenery that SAK will also have a P3D2 installer released at about the same time?! I'd be over the moon! 8)

Just whilst I think of it, how about having some fishing and sightseeing charter boats sailing to and from the River Lodge in town? They'd go around the islets or out to see for fishing, out to sea to spot whales, and up to Hubbard Glacier for sightseeing. They typically use the kind of aluminium boats made by the likes of Wooldridge. Yukutat Charters is a good example. If I can help just let me know.

Andy

sea_wolf_at_dock091508-600w.jpg

This is looking VERY impressive Alex! Well done! It matches my recollections of the place in real life. I am delighted to see this airfield come to P3D2! :)

IIRC in winter they pile the snow from the tarmac up a huge mound/s (and it takes months to melt, even into the summer. The mounds turn from crisp white to dirty grey as the season progresses and they melt!). Can this be modeled too?

Can we assume that as this'll be SAK scenery that SAK will also have a P3D2 installer released at about the same time?! I'd be over the moon! 8)

There is an SAK P3Dv2 installer in the works, it should be ready to go before Yakutat is done. I've got plans for the winter, Yakutat receives 155in of snow each winter so it's a pretty big part of the airport! I have many pictures of the snow mound and I'll do my best to make the slushy wet winter wonderland as best I can within the limitations of the simulator, but it's not finalized yet so nothing I can say for certain.

Archived