-= NCA Airports Roadmap =-

John Venema

Hello all,

For those enjoying NCA Northern California and wondering if we plan to fill it with airports (both payware and freeware) like we did PNW, the answer is a resounding YES!

Here is a *very* rough roadmap without timeframes other than what I show, and not all of these will see the light of day, although all of them have been reserved by Orbx developers.

Confirmed in production, alpha, or beta:

KRDD Redding will be released by this coming weekend all going well

Cityscape SFO will be April (freeware)

KHAF Half Moon Bay planned for a June release

And planned through 2014/15...

KSQL San Carlos

KMMH Mammoth Yosemite, Mammoth Lakes

KBIH Eastern Sierra, Bishop

O57 Bryant in Bridgeport

CA51 The Sea Ranch

E55 Ocean Ridge Airport

KEKA Murray Field airport + O33 Samoa

KMRY Monterey Regional Airport 

KBLU Blue Canyon Airport

KACV Arcata

Third party developers

KSFO V3 by Flightbeam - updated to match NCA, add new tower etc

Other smaller airports we know are in production

So plenty of NCA goodness to be had by the end of the year, we promise you that! :)

wooohooo

I have been flying out of Redding all week, finding out that you are bringing it out is awsome.  There are a lot of fields near Redding to go to and the scenery is brilliant.   Thankyou so much.

Funny.. I just looked at  "the tale of two cities", it hadnt clicked that was were I have been flying from.

Ken

Those are some pretty ambitious plans -- I applaud you guys for that. Looks like a nice selection of airports around the state. Well done!

Should keep the crew busy for awhile. Better keep on recruiting talent, JV - I don't know where you are finding them, but you sure are getting some good artists on your team.

I'll take them all!

+ 1

Thanks John, good to know.

Bishop and Bryant are interesting choices as they are outside NCA if I am not mistaken, . Does it mean that  you will extend a little bit part this area to the East ? I'd look forward very much to it !

Missing is the iconic Lake Tahoe airport, hope somebody  will look into it someday. But we'll have Blue Canyon for some stargazing parties  :) (the little observatory is already there , nice touch).

If I may throw my hat into the ring here, I highly recommend Pine Mountain Lake KE45. A stone's throw from Yosemite and much more exciting and esthetic than Mammoth Lakes. Besides, it's an airpark with houses with hangars instead of garages. Add the fact that it's at high elevation surrounded by hills and nearby lake and golf course, make it a scenic destination. 

Capture_zps3832b751.jpg

Thanks for the exciting info!

I was "forced" to spend two separate tours of duty at the Presidio of Monterey and have very fond memories of the airport and the surrounding area... Yessiree, six hours a day of classroom fun learning languages on the Army's nickel!

Respectfully,

Brian Richmond

I was "forced" to spend two separate tours of duty at the Presidio of Monterey and have very fond memories of the airport and the surrounding area... Yessiree, six hours a day of classroom fun learning languages on the Army's nickel!

Did the same, only it was on the Navy's nickel.

While I was there I managed to save a few of my own (rather scarce) nickels and take some flying lessons out at KMRY. So NCA has already brought me some fond memories.

Hi guys, why do I think that San Fransisco doesn't need a city scape.  Just saying that I think that KSFO and the city already look very good like it is. With an average of 20-25 FPS (airport take off) I'm scared of adding anything to the bay area that look pretty amazing to me already!!!

On top I'm amazed to see that even smaller airport all over N.CA had great improvement.

Unless it doesn't affect our FPS to much? Canberra is fine as for FPS so maybe there is a trick?

Ben

Very nice list of airports.  E55 has always been a favorite.  Eureka Murray is a special place where I would go as a kid to just watch the airplanes.  I hope one of the little wine country airports makes it such as Boonville, Angwin, Schelleville, Sonoma Skypark, Petaluma, Healdsburg, Cloverdale...etc.  Napa and Santa Rosa are probably too big for a project.

Cheers,

TJ

I think also you are going to need something in the Sacramento area. Probably also I would say draw a line around that area around KSAC to include Fairfield, Stockton, Placerville and Yuba City, and find a couple good municipal/regional airfields in those areas as well. Hell, I would say even KOVE and KCIC would be nice, being right at the foothills of Sierra Mountains like that.

Man, there is just ton of good stuff to explore in NCA, isn't there?

It isn't the physical size per se, but a matter of access.  Santa Rosa and Napa are both class D towered airports.  STS has airline operations.  I used to work at Santa Rosa at one of the FBOs and security is very tight, even for an airport that size.  Whoever goes there to take photos would have to jump through a few hoops to get access to the various spots on the field.  Granted it wouldn't be as bad as doing SFO or OAK, but still would require a lot of planning and work.  

Cheers

TJ

Hi guys, why do I think that San Fransisco doesn't need a city scape. Just saying that I think that KSFO and the city already look very good like it is. With an average of 20-25 FPS (airport take off) I'm scared of adding anything to the bay area that look pretty amazing to me already!!!

On top I'm amazed to see that even smaller airport all over N.CA had great improvement.

Unless it doesn't affect our FPS to much? Canberra is fine as for FPS so maybe there is a trick?

Ben

The current San Fran city is still using default FSX buildings, many of which are not very well optimized for FSX (Microsoft simply reused old FS9 buildings).

Fixing those older buildings and using proper FSX optimized models should not only make the city look much better, but may well even improve performance too ;)

im curious about a comment made up a few posts,about Blue Canyon,is there more than one Blue Canyon airport in california?,the author of the post talked about a observation building?..that some sort of telescope?..im just confused...ive lived in norcal all my life,KAUN Auburn muni is nearby,i can see planes taking off from  RW25 from my home.also,,if it gives some food for thought.the Nevada county airport in nevada county,between Grass Valley (the home of nascar/sprint car driver Brad Sweet) and Nevada City,it is known in my world as the Nvada County ATB,or air attack base,where tankers T-88 of Joe "Hoser" Satrapa and T-89,along with AT-230,right behind the ATB is the NEU/NYP headquarters for CalFire,again..if any of you collect diecast planes or tanks,and have ever bought from "The Flying Mule" they are located in the industrial park to the southwest of the runway,then there is also Cameron Park,which is one of those airport-housing places(airpark?)im going to post a screen grab from google eather showing Julie Clarks house..the woman who flys a T-34 mentor on the airshow circuit,and back to Blue Canyon-Nyack airport at Emigrant Gap Ca,it only gets useage from Calfire in summer as a helicopter base during large fires.

one airport that would also be good is the Truckee Airport...home to the Donner party....

NCATB_zps30f801e8.jpg

CameronPark_zps322c47f3.jpg

blue_zpseb8e93fd.jpg

T-88 At Grass Valley ATB 

100_1719_zps4ff12424.jpg

How about STS? That's an important gateway airport for Sanoma Flyers that love to see the vineyards and rolling hills. Plus, STS has the newly updated terminal and the "many" T Hangars. The people Flow out of STS would be amazing, especially if you make an option for when the Airshow comes around there in the Summer months - or you can leave it as a normal airport too ;)

This airport isn't 'too big' either! ;)

Archived