Innsbruck, Austria

John York

Tucked on the edge of town in amongst the Alps Innsbruck is one of the more difficult airports to fly in to.  Navigating among the mountains culminating in a fairly steep glide slope down from 9,400' to 1900' from 10 miles out is quite a challenge for real life pilots and simmers alike.

I go by this town in the coach (my wife doesn't fly) most year's on my way to holiday at the north end of Lake Garda in Italy.    But what I want to say is that Orbx Global fairly represents what Innsbruck is like as a place.  The mountains are pretty realistic too.

Anyone who has the chance to visit this pleasant town should go and while there take the chair lift to the top of the mountain (I think its called Sylvretta) that threatens the population below with really fierce avalanches.

John

I prepared a screenshot but frankly, these days find posting screenshots on the forum just too complicated.

Hello John,

nicely said. Just drove through LOWI yesterday was on short boarding vacation in the northern alps. Unfortunately due to high winds around the Stubai glacier boarding wasnt possible so we choose another winter sport area. On our way we drove through the Inn valley and i can imagine how difficult it can be to land there.

There isnt that much space between the mountains and the winds are really nasty too. I flew into some difficult airports like Nice, Florence and Marseille but this looks dangerous to me :D

A freind of mine flew for Tyrolean Airways on the Dash 8 and he did a lot of landings there. He said it was really scary. And at night as long as you can see the lights of the town and the airport there is no rock between you and the field ;)

Archived