Hardware FSX controls

DDC

All,

I was thinking that including some hardware controls to my hobby would be fun. After looking at Amazon it seems that a company called Saitek is the main maker of these added features. Do any of you guys/gals have any feedback? I would like to have at least a flight yoke and switch panel.

I have all Saitek gear (check sig.) have had no real big issues,( a burned out autopilot light,broken starter switch on switch panel) easy fixes with a bit of mechanical aptitude.

It's not the best flight gear out there but as long as you take care of it it should work great.

Goflight is what I'll probably be using for my next cockpit build but I'm still doing research on all of the products out there.

I would say grab the yoke,pedals and multi panel or switch panel and you'll love what they do for your sim.

There are many with Saitek gear and loving it, me included. And, obviously, some who do not.

The Saitek gear is not entirely without fault or complication, though this is as much the fault of FSX as the hardware and drivers.

But once setup they make a real difference. I have four panels, the rudder/brake pedals and the trim wheel and wouldn't wish to do without any of them now.

Even so, and though you don't mention anything about it, if you haven't already, I find the TrackIR to be the one hardware item I wouldn't wish to lose above all else as far as immersion is concerned.

Cheers

I've got an almost complete Saitek cockpit setup. Great innovative product lineup with no competition in the pricerange. That said, quality is abysmal and I've replaced half of the items because of failures. The TPM and TQM are prone to losing friction, and the turning knobs of the radio panels all have very different sensitivity and accuracy (I've got three radio panels, so its quite easy to tell that quality is different between items). The good side is that they're easy to use if you use SPAD and FSUIPC to control them. The only thing that is lacking is an few extra free buttons on the start swith and autopilot panel to complement missing features for different aircraft.

thats the saitek instrument display..also on all the sites...it shows a whole lot of different gauges and you can also install other gauge displays off their web site

its really cool piece of kit.

so what you are looking at is 2 seperate panels with the saitek instrument in the middle and ive joined them all together.

they all come with screws where you can join them all up.

cheers stu

Stu, would you mind posting a close up of that instrument panel?

Looks like there are several gauges being displayed, but the Saitek website says you can select one of six (no mention of multiple gauges at the same time)

Cheers

Stu, that "map-thingy" on the far left.

Is this an external monitor or some sort of an preconfigured instrument?

Cheers Matthias

Hi Matthias.

Thats an apple ipad and i have down loaded 3 apps on it.

Just google Remote Flight Cockpit HD and it will bring up their website..

I have got all 3 of their apps...cockpit gauges,moving map and auto pilot/radio stack.

it comes with an external interface that you down load on your fsx computer and this in turn wirelessly talks to your ipad.

i use the map mosty..its fantastic..you can even load your fsx flight plans into it.

its really stable and has never let me downi highly recommend these apps

cheers stu

Stu, would you mind posting a close up of that instrument panel?

Looks like there are several gauges being displayed, but the Saitek website says you can select one of six (no mention of multiple gauges at the same time)

Cheers

XtJPw.jpg

here you go...this is the display i use for my airline flying.

it comes with this display preloaded..completly accurate withe fsx.

you can use the buttons to scroll through about 6 other gauges..has all the main ccockpit gauges.

cheers stu

Hi Matthias.

Thats an apple ipad and i have down loaded 3 apps on it.

Just google Remote Flight Cockpit HD and it will bring up their website..

I have got all 3 of their apps...cockpit gauges,moving map and auto pilot/radio stack.

it comes with an external interface that you down load on your fsx computer and this in turn wirelessly talks to your ipad.

i use the map mosty..its fantastic..you can even load your fsx flight plans into it.

its really stable and has never let me downi highly recommend these apps

cheers stu

heres the map...its great..this has got a fsx flight plan loaded..completely accurate with sim

B9CUj.jpg

cheers stu

how sweet it is ;)

Something i forgot to mention about the map...obviously a touch screen..you can pull map right in to see basically google earth..roads cars etc on the ground..great for checking out runways before you get there !!..and expand right out to see the globe(i think)

also lots of different type maps to choose from..and also aircraft types to display on the maps..lots of features.

cheers stu

Very impressive set up Stu , very neat and tidy - I don't see any wires . Most of the set ups I see they have wires not organized hanging all over the place and just looks like a real mess. I don't have 3 monitors like you cause I don't know how to set them up .

Archived