Crash! Vectored into a mountain by FSX

Rexbo47

I was flying IFR from Ketchikan to Juneau and all was well until my descent to 2000 when instead of turning final, I kissed the top of a mountain in the fog

It was great flight until it wasn't.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I think years ago I had them vector me into the ground lol.  Usually they have you climbing and descending numerous times to avoid terrain.  Stock ATC definitely can't handle an approach like Juneau.  You don't fly straight in to runway 8 because of the terrain.  You could expect to fly (and have real world ATC vector you) according to this chart:

RNAV(GPS) Runway 8

Hello,

About the charts/plates.

What charts/plates can I get for FSX?

I remember Jeppesen had a FSX product but I don't know if its still available.

I suppose the problem is the charts would have to be 8 or so years old.

Simplates by Dauntless Aviation appears to be good, but are the charts for FSX time period.

Thanks

Allan

I almost lost it in a flight in Nepal recently ., couldn't get low enough to see the airport

but out of the corner of my eye i saw it and a mountain the other side, just made it,

but could have come off second best,,I dont do much over seas stuff but was challenged to it

Hello,

About the charts/plates.

What charts/plates can I get for FSX?

I remember Jeppesen had a FSX product but I don't know if its still available.

I suppose the problem is the charts would have to be 8 or so years old.

Simplates by Dauntless Aviation appears to be good, but are the charts for FSX time period.

Thanks

Allan

USA airport charts: http://airnav.com/airports/

Aussie charts: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/AeroProcChartsTOC.htm

But FSX ATC doesn't use real world routes.  If you want to use real world procedures you might want to check out Vatsim. Or just fly without ATC.

I'm no expert, but yes the FSX data is out of date.  Such as runway numbers being changed in real life due to magnetic bearings changing and navaids being added.  Generally though, the data on the charts works for most flights. 

There is a website that has updated default navdata, but I hear it isn't complete and doesn't apply to ILS/LOC frequency changes (which are rare anyway). Of course, if an airport adds an ILS or LOC, your best bet is making manual changes using ADE (if changes have to be made). Regarding current GPS data (whether for navigation or RNAV approaches), using an FMC or GPS unit that uses current navdata is the best way to go.

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

Todd

Archived