Vector problems near KFFA and the Outer Banks

SPowell42

Hi, I'm seeing issues around KFFA and the Outer Banks, specifically trees in the middle of the runway, and completely missing shore line and beaches. Trying to find someone who can tell me if I've somehow installed incorrectly or if this is a true bug.

Thanks,

Scott

P.s. To see the shoreline issue, just fly south from KFFA along eastern edge of the outer banks. The shoreline is perfectly straight line, with buildings and traffic right up to edge of water...no sand to be seen anywhere.

Hi PFS, thanks for confirming, glad it's not just me! Re: OpenLC, I believe it should fix buildings ( I hope?), but my understanding is that beaches are 100% vector. Had issues with beaches when UTX first came out.

Bernd, any chance you can confirm if the beaches are fixable? Also, not sure what would have caused trees to sprout in middle of runway, is that fixable also?

Thanks!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to be excessively arrogant or rude... but really... how can the birthplace of powered flight get rendered so poorly? Maybe I'm biased because I grew up near OBX and FFA but I just bought Vector and Global yesterday on the premise of "accurate shorelines" and was thoroughly disappointed when I saw roads and house at the water's edge...

Unless of course it was rendered to look like the Outer Banks right after a major hurricane has blown through, in which case, excellent job!!

• 9 months later...

Just installed Vector 1.2 and still seeing misplaced houses, roads, etc.

Roads such as Route 12 and Route 158 look accurately placed but everything else is just randomly scattered... Is this even a Vector-related issue or something that might be corrected by a Prepar3d update to v2.4 or OpenLC when it's released for North America?

kqM4f.jpg

I believe (but am not 100% certain) that beaches are vector, not land class. So I strongly suspect this is a vector problem. The thing I really don't get...after saying they were using new source data, it still looks like the concept of beaches (at least along the Outer Banks) is completely missing. I don't understand this...UTX had good North Carolina beaches like 10 years ago. Hard to believe the source data has gotten "worse"?

Still waiting for the day I can give Orbx $ for this...but the Outer Banks is one of my primary flying places. MSmithJR, thanks for posting the pics. Still hoping this will someday be fixed.

Thx,

Scott

No beaches seems to be prevalent in more than the Outer Banks.

Northern Gulf Coast is completely devoid of the beutiful pure white sand beaches the area is noted for.  The barrier islands south of Pensacola look more like farmland than beaches.

Thanks Bernd, nice to know this has at least been noticed.

Hi!

The new source data for the US didn't contain beaches but I will look into this for a future update.

Regarding "misplaced houses": that's the way FSX works. With landclass, it will get better, but it still will be an autogen-texture-based scenery.

Bernd

• 1 year later...

Hi, just wondering if after the latest patches Vector is fixed for the Outer Banks and I can finally think about purchasing it. Can someone shoot a screenshot or two of KFFA and the beaches that should surround it?

Thanks!

Scott

No need for screenshots around KFFA because the shoreline is still sand free and looks more like a rocky shoreline.  I even had an addon (Kill Devil Hill) that did nothing for the shoreline either when installed.  I guess the beaches are still on the drawing board.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, going on 4 years now. I'm going to be buying a lot of stuff with the upcoming release of prepar3d v4...would like to move forward with Global, Global Vector, etc....but only if there's actually beaches along the NC coast. Has this been fixed yet?

Thanks.

Scott

Hi Richard, any chance I could ask you to snap a picture near Ocracoke island airport W95? Just a top down view from the runway is fine. Should be right next to the beach... Beautiful little airport in real life.

Agree with msmithjr that something is fishy with the autogen... Not sure why. I would think the vector roads would line up with real life... In which case I think the autogen would be better. Maybe it's a case of the small roads being too small to be included in vector, in which case autogen would pop up everywhere. Wonder if I could fix this....

Thanks both to Richard and msmithjr for confirming.... Looks like it's finally time to buy vector.

Scott

You guys need to search this forum. I posted about these beaches and Ocracoke Island. Most of which was fixed. The autogen is a shame in these desolate beach and State Park areas. It does look much better now though. KFFA looks real good if you get the NA freeware airports. I even got them to fix the monument so it looks like a monument and not a top hat.

I know the OBX as well as you do, One of my favorite places too. The autogen you can't blame ORBX for. You obviously don't understand the autogen process. However, you are correct, it sucks, go fly without any of it. That sucks more!

That's the nature of landclass and vector scenery, it will never be exact, there is no landclass texture for "string of beach houses at the waters edge surrounded by sea oats". Just "semi-rural temperate residential" placed at it's closest approximation. You may be better served by finding a photoreal solution for higher precision.

I'm not referring specifically to autogen - and I'm also not attacking other people's knowledge of the area... just saying I'm not impressed with a product for which so much hype was made and hasn't lived up to that hype. 

For the I've money spent, I expect better than "semi-rural temperate residential". 

Archived