Almost there

VH-KDK

I did not realise that Lufthansa are restoring a Starliner to flying condition.

Apparently it is due to fly next year.

The ultimate in piston engine airliners only 44 were built with just 4 surviving.

1.ItnEH.jpg

Straight vee with minimal cropping.

The Connie has to be undoubtedly the queen of the passenger radials (The DC 6 the King) .... Her bygone belle grace built with 40's American "craftsmanship" and "will" really shone threw on the shot well done VH well done.

Dreamer

You know the A380 may be the ultimate in passenger airline growth nut to me it is nothing more than mans ability to show his arrogance to the sky and say I can make anything fly. BUT Man built the Connie with paper plans, wood drafting tools and man operated  machinery  flown by shear will and flew it with intimate knowledge of the girl and the environment he took her into.

Great capture. Conifair used to fly those to fight bugs proliferation in trees, decades ago in Quebec. One or two were transformed to carry a huge tank of insecticides inside the hull. Then the plane would fly very low over the evergreen and spray. Don't know what happened with those. Anyway, great souvenir shot.

People are inspired today! Great shot! >)

A beauty of a shot.

Brings back the romance of flying.

Great shot and information Martyn. Here's a link to the Lufthansa Foundation:

http://www.dlbs.de/en/Projects/Lockheed-Superstar/index.php

Thanks for the link Frank.

The Connie has to be undoubtedly the queen of the passenger radials (The DC 6 the King) .... Her bygone belle grace built with 40's American "craftsmanship" and "will" really shone threw on the shot well done VH well done.

Dreamer

You know the A380 may be the ultimate in passenger airline growth nut to me it is nothing more than mans ability to show his arrogance to the sky and say I can make anything fly. BUT Man built the Connie with paper plans, wood drafting tools and man operated  machinery  flown by shear will and flew it with intimate knowledge of the girl and the environment he took her into.

Fantastic shot Martyn .

Brad

What a beautiful bird, good to hear that one is being restored to fly again.

+1

Great capture. Conifair used to fly those to fight bugs proliferation in trees, decades ago in Quebec. One or two were transformed to carry a huge tank of insecticides inside the hull. Then the plane would fly very low over the evergreen and spray. Don't know what happened with those. Anyway, great souvenir shot.

Wonder how much those tickets are going to cost.

Hey Martyn..a magnificent shot of a regal lady

stu

Thanks for all your comments and interest.

I will be so good to see the Starliner in the air again and wouldn't it be great to have a flight on it. I think I would rather go on it than the many "tourist" space craft that will soon be lifting off!

Archived