Getting ready at Bundaberg for another inland tour:

oO573.jpg

LKnY.jpg

wvoPM.jpg

Monduran... 

Y619x.jpg

... and the Monduran Lake:

JUMRX.jpg

Now, here we are: At Moura Mine. Well, not such a positive finding in Wikipedia:

"The name of the local coal mine changes each time it's sold - currently Dawson Mine - owned and operated by Anglo Coal. Only open-cut mining has been used since 1994.

There have been three mining disasters that have occurred near Moura:

The first was the Kianga mining disaster occurring due to an explosion in the underground workings of the Kianga No. 1 mine on 20 September 1975, claiming 13 miners' lives.

The second, on 16 July 1986, was an explosion in the Moura No. 4 underground mine, claiming twelve miners' lives, the youngest miner being 18.

The third was an explosion in the Moura No. 2 underground coal mine on 7 August 1994. Rescue and recovery attempts were abandoned after a second, more violent explosion occurred 18 hours later. Eleven miners' lives had been lost and the mine was sealed at the surface.

After 1994, underground mining ceased and the area was operated as an open-cut coal mine."

19Kjn.jpg

vtyS.jpg

n6mi1.jpg

Heading back over Theodore...

ESJlU.jpg

... Eidsvold ...

uiRh.jpg

... Munduberrah ...

dBJx.jpg

... and Childers, towards Hervey Bay (starting point for tomorrow).

qfuZS.jpg

Thank you all for your comments.

Great flight and scenery Gerold.
Interesting info too, one place I would never work is underground in a mine.

I think this depends on the area: In Germany it works quite safe, I will not be making comments on Southern Africa or China. Surprising to read about disasters in Australia, maybe the ground is just not solid enough?

Thank you all for your comments.

I think this depends on the area: In Germany it works quite safe, I will not be making comments on Southern Africa or China. Surprising to read about disasters in Australia, maybe the ground is just not solid enough?

Is it a ground characteristics problem or a company's policies with regards to security of workers? I don't know the details here but there is an accumulation of serious accidents in one place so one is allowed to ask the question. Other than that, great informative set Gerold.

Archived