Rockhampton to Gladstone sightseeing tour

Stillwater

Just a short flight from Rockhampton to check some OZx features around... well, there were quite some of them...

Rockhampton airport:

31gLU.jpg

Stanwell Power Station:

LQajA.jpg

Coorooman Creek:

MrB9V.jpg

Emu Park:

Cv4cj.jpg

Limestone Creek:

aR4I7.jpg

Great Keppel Island:

NavT4.jpg

Port Alma salt pans, around Balaclava Island:

hjHop.jpg

East End Mine:

bixO.jpg

Aldoga Mine:

ubIjz.jpg

Targinie Rio Tinto Mooring:

XPez.jpg

The port of Gladstone, major exports include coal, alumina, aluminium, cement products, Sodium Cyanide and Ammonium Nitrate:

UflE.jpg

Boyne Island, Rio tinto aluminium smelter - taking profit from the coal mining around:

y2eEI.jpg

The potline buildings were considered the longest buildings in Australia [10] at nearly a kilometre in length and requiring for each potline 7,300 tonnes of steel, 32,000 cubic meters of concrete and 75,000sq meters of roofing and siding, with 7500 tonnes of aluminium busbar each. First concrete was placed Mar. 1980, first steel June 1980, 132 kv power energised Nov. 1981. For the initial smelter there were 1,500,000 cu m of earthworks, 116,000 cu m of concrete, 20,000 tonnes of steel, 250,000 sq m of sheeting, 1,000 electric motors, 560 km of cables, 50 km of piping and 60 km of cable racking.

eioX.jpg

MtgzV.jpg

... and finally Curtis Island. Not really the perfect landing strip for the Legacy...

y7wuQ.jpg

pa2EC.jpg

Sorry for the high number of pics. Just too much to see there... ::)

Top class set Gerold.

Many thanks for the travelogue, most interesting.

You should be apologising for not putting up more shots of this grand flight.

Quite the Eco-Tour Gerold , I bet the fishing is good in shot #13 . :unsure:  :lol:

Cheers

Brad

Plenty of Red Snapper and Red Mullet to be caught there. Come on in the water is fine :(

Quite the Eco-Tour Gerold , I bet the fishing is good in shot #13 . :unsure:  :lol:

Cheers

Brad

Sure you will find a place without fishing competition there.

Rio Tinto seems to be leaving some traces in the environment judging by the multicolor set you just presented...

You can not cross-check it in Google Earth, because the picture is coloured. But what may be the reason for doing that? Bing Maps doesn´t look better either, but appears to have a realistic (red) colour. So we cannot release the appearance of Rio Tintos work with our obvious sources. 

Plenty of Red Snapper and Red Mullet to be caught there. Come on in the water is fine :(

Hahaha! That is the right way of looking at it!

Archived