Changing Horses

VH-KDK

All aircraft are good but the best for me are the piston engine airliners of the 40s and 50s. I suppose this stems from living in Surrey near Heathrow in the mid 50s to mid 60s, and seeing the many different aircraft heading off to various parts of the world.

In this set we will fly in BC from 108 Mile to Lillooet but as you will see every second shot will change aircraft except for the last trio of shots.

1.rlfRx.jpg

C-54 taking off from 108 Mile CZML.

2.lQbjV.jpg

Heading south and following Route 97.

3.KHkpn.jpg

Now in a Pan Am DC-7. Passing the many lakes that dot the area and following the Cariboo Hwy.

4.jfvlN.jpg

At Green Lake.

5.jyRUP.jpg

The end of the line was the L-1649 Starliner. With the jet age arriving only a few were built.

6.uL9kw.jpg

The aptly named Chasm.

7.ZoOz2.jpg

Close to Clinton is the PAA L-069.

8.UFNAb.jpg

This L-069 is fitted with a Speedpak and is passing Clinton Lookout.

9.1TbOh.jpg

The DC-6 is in Peace River Country.

10.h2JPw.jpg

Entering the Frazer Canyon. Not surprisingly the Frazer River flows through it.

11.62lXY.jpg

Now its the turn of the Martin 404 near McKay Peak and Pavillion.

12.GB1U6.jpg

A sharp turn near Fountain Valley and Moore Peak.

13.zvLP6.jpg

The familiar C-117 homing in on Lillooet.

14.V8SCl.jpg

The usual missed approach and a second try at landing.

15.7V5EU.jpg

Safely down after a flight of varied scenery and aircraft.

All straight vees with minimal cropping.

Hope you enjoy viewing this as I did making the flight.

i'm with you on that Martyn, I miss watching and flying on the old girls from the 50s and 60s. My first flight was on a TWA Connie from Pittsburgh to Chicago in 1962. Those were some of  the best days of aviation as far as i'm concerned with a mix of piston and jet aircraft. Super shots my friend!!

Adam

The Lockheed looks fantastic, with a nearly "organic" shape. Thanks for flying!

Great collection of shots and birds.

Great set! :)

Martyn you are a man after my own heart!!!! Piston airliners are the best and your shots reflect how great those old classics can be.

I enjoy bringing them back to life. The only problem is when the missus is home the volume has to be turned down.

i'm with you on that Martyn, I miss watching and flying on the old girls from the 50s and 60s. My first flight was on a TWA Connie from Pittsburgh to Chicago in 1962. Those were some of  the best days of aviation as far as i'm concerned with a mix of piston and jet aircraft. Super shots my friend!!

Adam

Ah the memories. I can just remember my first flight from Heathrow to Idlewald via Montreal in a BOAC DC-7 in 1958.

Fantastic set of shots Martyn , it was hard to choose a favorite . For me shot #8 was the one .

Cheers

Brad

A stunning set of great shots and beautiful aircrafts - I like especially #8, sky and plane fit together wonderfully.

Great shots! And nice set of birds!

Sure are a fantastic set Martyn.

cheers

Iain

Thank you everybody for the great comments.

Archived