Victor - the last of the "V"Bombers.

VH-KDK

The Handley Page HP.80 Victor was the last of the "V" Bombers.

1.5Lg4Z.jpg

86 Victors were built between 1953-63.

2.pOx3.jpg

At the height of the Cold War, Victor squadrons were at 4 minutes readiness to take off.

3.Dvw7C.jpg

It was estimated that Soviet radar would detect the high level Victors 200 miles out. Specific routes to take advantage of weaknesses in the Soviet radar system along with ECM measures were expected to lead to successful strikes being made.

4.oYBiH.jpg

Improvements in the Soviet radar meant that low level strikes were favoured with unforseen results.

5.aiJS1.jpg

In 1968 the discovery of fatigue cracks lead to the Victors being withdrawn from strategic bombing with some being converted to the tanker role.

6.WatXv.jpg

The Victor tankers saw action in both the Falklands and first Gulf Wars.

7.KVy7d.jpg

The last Victors were withdrawn in 1993, being replaced by VC-10s and Tristars.

8.JLesH.jpg

5 Victors remain in existence today, 1 bomber and 4 tankers.

The last flight of a Victor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrb5vWZSCrs

All straight vees with minimal cropping.

Hope you enjoy.

Fond Memories of the big bombers.. Bringing the kids home to Sydney from the Blue Mountains in 1970/71 (not sure exacly) it's right on dark, and as we passed Richmond aerodrome just where  HW40 kicks left and puts you right under short short final at the start of the approach lighting assembly I was blinded by huge landing lights and a monstrous black shape passed over the  car .. less then 100ft up .. it was a Vulcan.. the noise and the lights were stunning. Teecee.

Interesting looking plane, you show her well Martyn!!

Adam

They don't build them like this any more.

Sure are a great set and what a plane.

cheers

Iain

Thanks for this set of great shots Martyn! And what an astonishing video! Bob's Victor is about to crash and he "felt seriously troubled" - simply British.

Bit of an understatement. I know what I would have been doing.

Great shots! :)

Great shots of that unusual plane. Thanks for posting these and the video.

Fond Memories of the big bombers.. Bringing the kids home to Sydney from the Blue Mountains in 1970/71 (not sure exacly) it's right on dark, and as we passed Richmond aerodrome just where  HW40 kicks left and puts you right under short short final at the start of the approach lighting assembly I was blinded by huge landing lights and a monstrous black shape passed over the  car .. less then 100ft up .. it was a Vulcan.. the noise and the lights were stunning. Teecee.

Only ever saw 1 Victor flying but many Vulcans when I visited my brother up north.  When I was very small I can remember being terrified of the Valiants when they came to nearby Wisley, which was Vicker's airfield. Big, noisy and smokey, how I would like to see and hear one today.

Great design, and another cool adition to your hangar.

The hangar is fairly bulging at the seams.

+1

Brad

Like the captures and the video is great ^-^

Bygone era, ugly but lovely at the same time, thanks Dave

A very futuristic design for it's age, but I didn't find it too ugly, just sinister.

Many thanks to you all for your comments. Glad you like the caps and video.

I love the Victor as well (see my comp entry for this month!). What a great video as well!

Did anyone do a half decent Valiant (I already have the Iris Vulcan)?

Adam.

Thanks Adam. I think the Victor is one of the greatest shapes ever with the crescent wing, big dihedral t tail, and the nose.

I have only found the Valliant for FS9. Just hope one day we shall get it in FSX.

Archived