Heinkel He111Z Zwilling

VH-KDK

The He111Z Zwilling (twin) was built for glider towing with the Me 321 glider in mind.

1.o05CG.jpg

It was liked by the pilots and had an endurance of 10 hours.

2.K0LF.jpg

2 He111 bombers were joined with a new centre wing and a 5th Jumo 211F engine.

3.mS3k9.jpg

With 4 optional 640 litre drop tanks the total fuel capacity was close to 11000litres.

4.NxQUB.jpg

The He111Z did not have enough power to tow a fully laden Me 321 so 4 RATO rocket assisted take off pods were added which were released after take off.

5.JTwfr.jpg

Little about it's operational history. 8 were shot down or destroyed on the ground but 1 was shot down by the RAF over France with it's Gotha GO242 glider.

6.dubAG.jpg

The He111 had a crew of 7 with the pilot operating the controls from the port fuselage.

All straight vees with minimal cropping.

Hope you have enjoyed looking at this unusual aircraft.

Very interesting plane and shots!

I see you like the British Autumn as well :)

Nice shots of the siamese twins 8)

Amazing pictures, aircraft and informations! Thanks, Martyn.

Very nice shots of an unusual aircraft

+1 - Thats what I was thinking too!

First time ever that I see this one. If you were a known expert programmer and it was April 1st, I would think this is a hoax!!! Stunning aircraft this one!

Great shots! :)

Talk about joined at the hip , quite the flying machine you have here Martyn . Great shots of this unusal plane !! .

Cheers

Brad

I used to use these as target practice in IL-2 ... amazing to see them make it to FSX!! Where did you find it?

Adam.

Great pics Martyn. I didn't know that Heinkel created such a curious plane and I should also like to hear where did you find it.

Many thanks for the interest and comments. A very unusual aircraft indeed and by all accounts and ideal glider tug.

Here is the link to Simvation which also includes the Me321 and Me323. An interesting trio which I will be trying out more at the week end along with Iceland of course.

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=Gigant&x=0&y=0

Archived