Excited for Northern California

DDC

I have to admit that I have been scouring these forums every morning when I get up to see if there is any news on the upcoming release of Northern California. Any updates would be most appreciated! I live in San Francisco but I am from Vancouver and I often fly back and forth. For those of you who have never visited Northern California (we call it "NorCal" vs "SoCal") it really is a beautiful area to see from the sky. There is the obvious San Francisco with the Golden Gate Bridge but other areas such as Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley and the coastal towns such as Monterey and Eureka.

I saw someone where the release is a little late so we might have to wait a few more weeks. GIve me any updates about this one!

I'll buy Northern Cal on day 1 - count me in as one of the excited. But I am happy to wait and have Orbx take their time with this one.

There are so many areas to be explored here. From the beautiful west coast to the Sierra Mountains around Lake Tahoe. This will be quite a gem.

On a side note, Truckee-Tahoe Airport KTRK would be a pretty great choice as one of the feature airports. One can dream :)

I am also ready for some new territory to visit. Back when I was taking private pilot lessons, I flew left seat with a CFI in a C172 from KMRY south down along the Big Sur coast for about thirty miles before turning back and heading to KSNS for a touch and go. Then back to Monterey to end my flight. Got that entry in my logbook somewhere.

Can't wait to see how Orbx show the agriculture in the Salinas Valley area. Lots and lots of rows of lettuce, artichokes, etc. Green in the valley and gold colored mountains next to the royal blue Pacific.

It'll be beautiful.

Brad

Work is still chugging along! 

Every photoreal area in the northern part of NCA has been completed, recently I turned southward and finished off the salt flats at the south end of the SF bay. After I complete my photoreal work around downtown SF and Oakland I'll be going eastward to finish up my contribution to the region :)

Alex, does that include photoreal of the Sutter Buttes up by Marysville?  Often pass by them.  Also wondering about Elkhorn Slough by Moss Landing on Monterey Bay.  Small area but I'm hopeful.

With the number of potential photoreal areas in NorCal some consideration had to prioritizing areas. Unfortunately the Buttes and Elkhorn Slough didn't make it but I can say for certain that Neil Hill, our NorCal native and one of the guys working landclass, has represented the Sutter Buttes very well. 

Some areas it will include:

Brown Mountain

Cinder Cone

Crater Lake

Glass Mountain

Honey Lake

Humboldt Bay (north and south ends)

Klamath Lake

Klamath Marsh

Lassen Peak

Lower Klamath Lake

Mount Shasta

Mt. McLoughlin

Sierra Army Depot

Whitney Butte

San Francisco and Oakland waterfront stretching from NAS Alameda to Point Bonita Lighthouse

South SFO Bay wetland and salt flats

And some screenshots from a month back:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/64720-will-global-make-full-fat-regions-obsolete/?p=591437

i dont understand i guess....the list of sites is great....but will it look "patchy" in the areas that are not "featured"?......like someone said the sutter buttes isnt "featured" but will they still be there as a cinder cone?...or will they (it) be flat....im in auburn ca, KAUN,and from my front yard i can see the buttes clearly,so i guess what im askin..will they still show?..just not in super detail?...and what about Beale AFB...it may not be a featured airfleid...but will it show?...im new to the Orbx world..just installed FTX Global and am allready impressed..

also.."Crater Lake"? in norcal?.....its in Oregon last time i looked....lol....why is it in norcal?..or is this a place ive not heard of?..

Dave,

Crater Lake is indeed still in Oregon, but will be covered in the new NorCal release.   I'll have to go check how the Sutter buttes are looking under FTX Global.  Do you have any 3rd party elevation mesh installed or just default?   That would make a difference on how well defined the Buttes look.

i dont understand i guess....the list of sites is great....but will it look "patchy" in the areas that are not "featured"?......like someone said the sutter buttes isnt "featured" but will they still be there as a cinder cone?...or will they (it) be flat....im in auburn ca, KAUN,and from my front yard i can see the buttes clearly,so i guess what im askin..will they still show?..just not in super detail?...and what about Beale AFB...it may not be a featured airfleid...but will it show?...im new to the Orbx world..just installed FTX Global and am allready impressed..

also.."Crater Lake"? in norcal?.....its in Oregon last time i looked....lol....why is it in norcal?..or is this a place ive not heard of?..

Hi Dave,

The list of areas I provided are for photoreal areas. Everywhere within the bounds of NCA is fully represented using landclass and vector roads, rails, rivers, etc. These areas are simply those that get photoreal treatment, i.e. the bigger landmarks of the region. It is by no means a patchy experience, if you have PNW, NRM, CRM, PFJ, SAK you can see the same is done with major peaks and other features.

And NorCal covers a little bit of Oregon and Nevada which is why Crater Lake has photoreal treatment.

I asked once awhile ago if the map in FSX could have borders added to show the full fat regions so I would no when to Full Fat - Hybrid - Glodal, but it did not seem possible.

So my request this time is can we get a printable or at least online map that shows the borders.

When you go to an airfield to see about what it has to offer and if to buy, you can open the page with the map showing the location of all the airfields developed.

I would really like to see the Sectional chart boundaries on this map, and be able to print it out.

Case in point I was recently  flying over Crater Lake and had Central on America thinking that it was covered. It appears that it was not.

Anyway I just feel it would be a great help to be better able to work out what zone I am in quickly instead of puzzling over maps.

Thanks

Allan 

I'm excited about Northern California as well.  I live right next to Murray field (KEKA) in Eureka.  I see the Fedex feeder Grand caravan fly over my house almost every day.  Can't wait to see what Orbx has done with the Humboldt bay photo real area.  I drive around the bay quite often.

I asked once awhile ago if the map in FSX could have borders added to show the full fat regions so I would no when to Full Fat - Hybrid - Glodal, but it did not seem possible.

So my request this time is can we get a printable or at least online map that shows the borders.

When you go to an airfield to see about what it has to offer and if to buy, you can open the page with the map showing the location of all the airfields developed.

I would really like to see the Sectional chart boundaries on this map, and be able to print it out.

Case in point I was recently  flying over Crater Lake and had Central on America thinking that it was covered. It appears that it was not.

Anyway I just feel it would be a great help to be better able to work out what zone I am in quickly instead of puzzling over maps.

Thanks

Allan 

See this thread for a picture from Holger about the NCA boundaries.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/60020-to-orbx-team-norcal-question/?hl=%2Bnorthern+%2Bcalifornia#entry545322

Hi daveroo,

The Sutter Buttes aren't flat in NCA, They stick up out of the valley floor just as they should.  I used to live in Yuba City and made sure they looked right as I added the LC to cover them.  You won't be disappointed.  Actually when I worked for PT&T (a long time ago) I worked at a microwave relay station that was up on the Buttes, hmmm, I wonder if it's still there?    Oh, and an enhanced Beale AFB is there although there not a lot that can be done in the way of enhancing those big AFB's, other than make it's layout accurate. 

Cheers, Neil

I am also ready for some new territory to visit. Back when I was taking private pilot lessons, I flew left seat with a CFI in a C172 from KMRY south down along the Big Sur coast for about thirty miles before turning back and heading to KSNS for a touch and go. Then back to Monterey to end my flight. Got that entry in my logbook somewhere.

Can't wait to see how Orbx show the agriculture in the Salinas Valley area. Lots and lots of rows of lettuce, artichokes, etc. Green in the valley and gold colored mountains next to the royal blue Pacific.

It'll be beautiful.

Brad

What a small world. I flew a first flight from KMRY down the coast to Big Sur in December 1958. My PPL cost back then was $640. Guaranteed by Del Monte Aviation. For that price I got as many hours as I needed to get the license. Oh for the good old days.....

Doug

I am more than excited about Northern California as well. I was an exchange student at Arcata High School in 1980 and can't wait to pilot my virtual planes in and out of KEKA and KACV. I actually had an aviation science class in school and made few flights in a Cessna 152 from KEKA with the teacher. Great memories!

Jaakko

EFHK Finland

I too have great memories from the area, but not because of any real-life experience. I started simming with Flight Unlimited II in ~1997, and it was limited to the SF Bay area. So my first experience with simming was over San Francisco and northern CA :)

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as though NorCal is slated for release before the end of the year, when might we start seeing some preview screenshots?

Also, I had a question for John about San Carlos.  What is the best way to contact him?

Seeing as though NorCal is slated for release before the end of the year, when might we start seeing some preview screenshots?

Also, I had a question for John about San Carlos.  What is the best way to contact him?

I was wondering about NorCal as well.  I wasn't going to say anything but I see I'm not the only one.  I'm sure the screenshots will show up when they're ready.  It's hard to be patient though.

Archived