Gliders: Archaeopteryx Demo-Clip on Vimeo

alexf

They're a neat idea, but so, so overpriced for what they are... You can buy a brand new real sailplane for about the same price.

Yeah, I know Derek... I almost dropped dead when I saw the price... £50,000!!! I used to dream about something like this in my days of Hang Gliding back in the late 70's, at that price it will have to remain a dream! I find it hard to understand where the aircraft is placed in the market. It's not a hang glider and not a sailplane, so it resides somewhere in between, and there lies the paradox, it's basically a hybrid.

So that is not a real sailplane?

Well, like Howard said above, it seems to lie somewhere more between hang gliders and sailplanes, and is certainly not unique.  The distinctions are starting to get blurry these days.  It is technically a rigid wing hang glider as the pilot is suspended from the structure near the CG below the wing.  It is controlled by conventional surfaces rather than weight shift, but so are several other rigid wing hang gliders like the Atos AIR.  The glide ratio is certainly better than other RWHG's at a maximum of 28:1 for a wingspan of 13.5m, but an equivalent ultralight Sailplane like the Sparrowhawk at 11m wingspan has a considerably better glide ratio of around 36:1.  Even the reasonably crappy PW-6 two-seater trainer I fly has a 33:1 ratio.  My main contention is the price, other RWHG's are available at 1/4 to 1/3 what the Archaeopteryx costs, and some of the eastern European sailplane manufacturers will furnish you with a flapped 15m or 18m aircraft with performance in the 40:1 to 42:1 range and speeds of up to 160kts.  But for it's niche market, it certainly does look very nice.

Archived