Flightsim Show 2013

SGunard

Hi Everyone,

I know Capt Pugwash raised this over in the pilot's lounge a while back, but is anyone planning to go to RAF Cosford on Saturday? Should be a good day out with the museum and all.

Hopefully there'll be some boxed OrbX bargains to be had to! 8)

Steve

here's hoping flightstore offer some in their 50% off event deal! 8)

That would be good - even better if they matched FSS's sell-off prices for boxed stock! I was seriously tempted but the airmail costs back to the UK are a killer! :

Would of loved to go just to find out about Air Hauler 2 but am busy, also its quite far from Eastbourne. Enjoy the show for me. At least with me not going I am going to save the £500 I probably would of spent up there. 

Steve 

Totally Gutted

I was going (may not bother now) especially to test out the Flight Illusion C172 Panel; they were supposed to be exhibiting it alongside SimWare.

Mark V just e-mailed me and told me they won't be along as they are not quite finished with it - hmmm

Would of loved to go just to find out about Air Hauler 2 but am busy, also its quite far from Eastbourne. Enjoy the show for me. At least with me not going I am going to save the £500 I probably would of spent up there. 

Steve

Hi Steve

Funnily enough I was just over the JustFlight forum and saw a post about AH2 by Slopey - it implies this is a hoax, any sure idea?

Cheers

I think Slopey was messing with us as i got an email on Tuesday from Just Flight saying he will be there to "tell us about what he's got in store for us in the next version"

Oh cool

I like AH :)

Won't be going to the show though; will wait and see

Cheers

Ha, at least you got a couple of answers Steve. Every time  I post some thing like this no one replies. I went to the on in Wichita in May and Nov 3-4 going to Amsterdam from Alberta here to what they say is the biggest out there. Posted to see if any one was going as I would be nice to meet a few guys but like usual not one response . No I won't be going to the one your talking about Steve .

http://fsweekend.com/index.php

Wow Louis, that's dedication! Canada to Holland is a way to go for a flightsim show! I guess you must have stayed a few days and had a bit of a holiday?

As for not many replies to your requests as to who's going to shows I suppose the community on this site is pretty global and thus many will live a long way from any show (not that that seems to stop you!) and the hard-core OrbX-ers will have most of the FTX range and maybe aren't interested in seeing stuff from other developers?  Who knows.

For me the museum is a big part of the pull. I've been to Duxford and the RAF museum at Hendon (both great places) but never Cosford. The Helicopter Museum where there's been a couple of Flightsim shows in the past was good to.

Wow Louis, that's dedication! Canada to Holland is a way to go for a flightsim show! I guess you must have stayed a few days and had a bit of a holiday?

As for not many replies to your requests as to who's going to shows I suppose the community on this site is pretty global and thus many will live a long way from any show (not that that seems to stop you!) and the hard-core OrbX-ers will have most of the FTX range and maybe aren't interested in seeing stuff from other developers?  Who knows.

For me the museum is a big part of the pull. I've been to Duxford and the RAF museum at Hendon (both great places) but never Cosford. The Helicopter Museum where there's been a couple of Flightsim shows in the past was good to.

I went to Cosford for the first time a couple of years ago and was very impressed with everything they had on display.  The site is a lot bigger than I had though it was.  There was many aircraft there that I had never seen in the flesh such as the Avro Lincoln, ME410 and well most of the 50's and 60's experimental aircraft.  Definitely worth the trip to see just those.

Given the opportunity available for young (and old) to participate in aviation (albeit virtual) and learn a great deal about aeronautical science while at the same time having real fun I'm surprised there are not thousands more participating in on-line flying.  I grew up with an avid love for airplanes, eventually earned my pilots license and flew RW for years and now continue to enjoy the wonderful world of flight through simulation.  I somehow doubt that the thrill of this great hobby has completely saturated the general public.  Case in point, rarely do I see any mention of the "Flightsim Shows" or advertisement relating to the flight simulation hobby on television or other media.  I do know it is used in U.S. Civil Air Patrol, squadrons in the USA, promoted to a small degree in the Air Force and a few other minor areas.  However, It surprises me somewhat that it hasn't taken off (no pun intended) like a pop star's new DVD. :)

A great many individuals just don't know what they are missing.

Hi Guys,

Back from work now. So, where were we . . . ? Ah, yes Air Hauler 2 . . .

The first thing I should say is that I don't use Air Hauler myself so I'm not exactly familiar with the in and outs of AH - and therefore neither the differences between 1 and 2.

Also it was a nice, warm, dimly lit auditorium and it had been a long day . . .

So, as far as I remember, the main points are:

1: Progress in AH can be imported into AH2 so you don't have to start over.

2: The map in AH2 can be chosen from one of a number of different sources.

3: You will be able to trade commodities (like in the old 'Elite' space-trading game). Buy coffee cheaply in one city and sell it at a profit in another.

4: The types of jobs you can take on are being expanded to include aerial photography, maybe military (but not combat), and narcotics running (yes, really!) etc.

5: He's aiming for a release in the second quarter of 2014.

There's probably loads more I missed or have already forgotten so if anyone else who was there can chime in . . .

Steve

ps Some of you have asked for photo's. Yes, I did take some but they are in RAW format and need processing and resizing etc and I just don't have the time right now (I shouldn't really be typing this, even. I should really be getting on with my degree course! ::) )

So, as far as I remember, the main points are:

1: Progress in AH can be imported into AH2 so you don't have to start over.

2: The map in AH2 can be chosen from one of a number of different sources.

3: You will be able to trade commodities (like in the old 'Elite' space-trading game). Buy coffee cheaply in one city and sell it at a profit in another.

4: The types of jobs you can take on are being expanded to include aerial photography, maybe military (but not combat), and narcotics running (yes, really!) etc.

5: He's aiming for a release in the second quarter of 2014.

I'll do my best to add a little to this...

6. You'll also be able to fly passenger loads now on both a scheduled (generated) and adhoc basis, much like the way FSPassengers works I believe Slopey said (I've never used it myself).

7. Slopey also hopes to allow you to fly PAX loads with multiple sectors i.e. EGKK - LOWI - EGLL for example, rather than just your standard A to B, but this isn't yet confirmed.

8. You'll be able to bid for contracts with companies, whether that be PAX or Cargo and will be required to carry out the necessary flights weekly/daily and such to keep the contract.

9. You'll also be able to create your own VA on AH2 and have multiple real life people fly for the same company.

10. On a similar note, you'll also be able to transfer funds between your personal airline and VA.

11. The cargo damage still applies to the way you fly/land etc, except now there's also a passenger comfort 'meter'.

12. There will be a dynamic passenger loading sequence with loading times accompanied by sound effects (perfect for doing your pre-flight and such)

13. For the PAX flights you will set the cost of each ticket and based on the demographics of your chosen airfield and the cost of the ticket, your aircraft will be loaded accordingly.

14. All of the AH2 commands are controlled within FSX now. It looked very much like the ATC window if you want an idea.

15. Finally, Slopey said he is hoping to include cargo drops where you will drop the cargo in flight and the aircraft weight will alter accordingly sending you skywards! 

16. Oh, and it will be for FSX and Prepar3D, but no FS9 version unless demand requires.

That's all I can remember as well, so we'll see if Steve remembers anything else! 

Cheers all 8)

**Edit - Could I just add that after reading the forum terms I'm slightly unsure as to whether it breaches them, if so, can the mods please do the necessary. 

Good grief . . . I really must have fallen asleep!!! :blink:

Though Jetstream1, some of what you mention does sound vaguely familiar . . . Well remembered!

ps For those that wanted pics try this link to mutleys hangar: http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/11225-fs2013-cosford-show-stand-ready-to-receive-visitors/

There are photo's on both pages.

I've also posted my pictures and thoughts from the show at CBFS and NZFF:

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25903#p287327

http://nzff.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=20966

It was my first ever flightsim show and proved to be a very interesting day. Lots of Orbx stuff on sale and used on the simming PCs. It would be great to see Orbx there in person at a future event.

Enjoy,

Ade

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant guys, thanks again

What do you mean AH2 Commands are controlled in FSX?

With the current Air Hauler program everything is controlled outside of FSX.

Mike

Sorry gents, please let me clarify what Slopey showed us (you'll most definitely see it in the links below).

Unlike currently where you are required to switch to and from Air Hauler and FSX to carry out loading, refueling and such; now this is all controlled whilst you are still in FSX with a menu screen much like the default ATC one.

Like I say, check out the links that Steve posted. After all, who could explain it better than the actual creator!

Take care B) 

Archived