Shackleton over the Beagle Channel.

VH-KDK

Only ever saw one Shackleton flying but it is something that 35 years later is still clear in my memory.

It was leaving Southampton on rwy 02 as it flew past my house,and the sound of the 4 Griffons under power was unbelievable.

This series is taken at The Beagle Channel at the southern tip of South America. The northern side is in Argentina with Chile in the south.

1.HmVoy.jpg

Leaving Ushuaia in Argentina. The snow covered Mount Sampaio can be seen in Chile.

2.XWA6G.jpg

To the right is the Valley de Andorra.

3.sAjfr.jpg

Because of the excessive noise and position of the props in relation to the cockpit, high tone deafness was an extra hazard of flying the Shackleton.

4.c9vTw.jpg

Mount Lindenmayer, Chile.

5.X2i8q.jpg

Derived from the Lincoln bomber and Tudor airliner the ancestry of the Shackleton going back to the Lancaster can be seen with the huge weapons bay.

6.l5ZyX.jpg

The airport at Cabo de Hornos can be seen along with the mountains of Navarino's Teeth, Chile.

7.PUIFR.jpg

Some impressive cliffs on the Argentine side of the Beagle Channel.

8.4rEjX.jpg

Isla Picton, Chile.

9.hfGlM.jpg

Looking over Tierra del Fuego, Argentina.

10.rm6Pc.jpg

The 3 islands l to r are Nueva, Lennox and Picton all in Chile.

Hope you enjoy

No editing apart from minimal cropping.

Fantastic shots of the old timer Martyn!!

Adam

Very nice pics from this remote region - however, it's obvious that South America needs a heavy update via openLC.

Yes Frank,FTXG is just the first stepping stone in what is going to be something fantastic in the time to come.

Some nice shots of the "hundred thousand rivets flying in close formation" ;) The last Shackletons I saw were parked at Paphos airport, Cyprus.

Cheers

Mallard

With that plane you will have to go to the Falklands / Malvinas for a safe landing...

....and they are not too far away from that part of the world.

Interesting shots and story here. First time I see that aircraft here.

Very nice set indeed.

cheers

Iain

Enjoyed your shots and flight Martyn.  This is the first time I have seen shots of that part of the world.

I have never even  seen or heard of this AC . Thanks Martyn for this very interesting post .

Cheers

Brad

Happy to have introduced you to it Brad.

Great shots of that seldom seen aircraft and scenery Martyn.

Many thanks folks for your great comments. Thanks for the interest.

Archived