FTX Global - We nailed it! The new 3D lights system

Yes indeed you will. We have reverted back to the old apps which are still needed for the full FTX Regions. At some point in 2014 I will start a project to add the new 3D lighting system to all our FTX Regions so we have a single system in use. That's a big project but I do promise you all it will happen.

You King! ;-)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome news John.  Congratulations and thanks in advance to Eugene and the whole Global team.  My money is ready and waiting to purchase FTX Global as soon as I hear the announcement :).

but I always like to fly with 0.30 zoom.

Yes, I went back to 0.30 recently. When I was flying the 737NGX and scenery wasn't a too high priority I used 0.70. After getting back to low and slow GA I got more and more and heavily annoyed by how late FSX loads the textures and the popping up of autogen. So I went to 0.60 (also because tweaks won't help with the late loading and popping up) and a while later all the way back to 0.30. I did (of course) create a new view (with OpusFSX) so my view on the VC was about the same as it was with 0.70/0.60 and now things look a lot better. Popping up of autogen is a LOT less noticable and quite often I can't even see if the highest res textures have already loaded or not (which is very obvious at 0.70), so that problem is far less annoying now.

Yes, it takes some time to get used to that zoom (you get some sort of fish eye lense effect) but it's certainly worth it. And the added peripheral view and higher sense of speed is a nice bonus too. ;)

Funny thing is how soon you get used to such a change: when I go back to 0.70 now it's like I am constantly looking through binoculars and I miss all the scenery around me!

There has been a slight FPS impact through development but they are an order of magnitude more efficient than our previous FTX region lights.

Yes the price has been announced, but for the sake of communication it is AU$99, or at today's exchange rates - £55 / â‚¬68 / US$90

This all sounds great

Thanks

Yes, I went back to 0.30 recently. When I was flying the 737NGX and scenery wasn't a too high priority I used 0.70. After getting back to low and slow GA I got more and more and heavily annoyed by how late FSX loads the textures and the popping up of autogen. So I went to 0.60 (also because tweaks won't help with the late loading and popping up) and a while later all the way back to 0.30. I did (of course) create a new view (with OpusFSX) so my view on the VC was about the same as it was with 0.70/0.60 and now things look a lot better. Popping up of autogen is a LOT less noticable and quite often I can't even see if the highest res textures have already loaded or not (which is very obvious at 0.70), so that problem is far less annoying now.

Yes, it takes some time to get used to that zoom (you get some sort of fish eye lense effect) but it's certainly worth it. And the added peripheral view and higher sense of speed is a nice bonus too. ;)

Funny thing is how soon you get used to such a change: when I go back to 0.70 now it's like I am constantly looking through binoculars and I miss all the scenery around me!

Hey what Zoom settings are you talking about - are you referencing the Camera.cfg - Virtual Cockpit's InitialZoom Setting?

Thanks

If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of ORBX users world wide doing The Happy Dance....

Tappity Tappity Tap    Even with the onslaught of server demand, I'll still purchase and DL at the first opportunity this Saturday.   Bring it on!

now that what i am talking about realy amazing oh yeah baby saturday release can't wait it's going be awesome 9 day's for me, i am off on holidays from work so going to  flying ftx global like crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Hey what Zoom settings are you talking about - are you referencing the Camera.cfg - Virtual Cockpit's InitialZoom Setting?

Thanks

SImply the ingame zoom, although I used OpusFSX to set it in myh case. If you only use the ingame zoom you will have to move your position forward using the rather complicated view change controls in FSX because obviously your view on the VC will also be zoomed out a LOT.

I prefer not to set things using the cfg if I can set them in a more convenient way. ;) Maybe or probably the cfg and setting you mentioned will give you the same zoom but not the changed position in the VC which is imho mandatory in order to enjoy such a zoom setting.

BTW If I would only like to change the zoom in FSX and save it, I would load my default flight, set the zoom and save that default flight. As I said, I never really use cfg's to change things: I only add very few tweaks to the FSX.cfg and that's it.

0.30? Isn't that the widest view? I am using 0.60 for VC cockpit flying. Although I may go back down to 0.50 or somewhere around there. Isn't 1.00 the best since the graphics are the clearest at that setting? Hardly any room though at that zoom level. Easy to see scenery and stuff with a wider view. Are you guys using wideviewaspect=true too?

0.30? Isn't that the widest view? I am using 0.60 for VC cockpit flying. Although I may go back down to 0.50 or somewhere around there. Isn't 1.00 the best since the graphics are the clearest at that setting? Hardly any room though at that zoom level. Easy to see scenery and stuff with a wider view. Are you guys using wideviewaspect=true too?

1.00 isn't the best, no. Zoomed in way too much, you can hardly see a thing, only huge pixels. ;) I wouldn't call that the clearest! ;) I use wide=true, yes, with my 1080i screen.

Strange, I saw a video on youtube saying 1.00 is the best and most realistic, and that things at that zoom level appear its best and how it's meant to be seen, any above or below that and you're going to pixelate the image. Looks like I'm going to have to reset my zoom levels for my EZDok Camera views again, sigh. I should've stuck with 0.40 - 0.50. I always thought it looked much better. Anything higher and it looks cramped and claustrophobic. Plus its so much better as you can see much more when doing VFR flying looking at the beautiful scenery.

Strange, I saw a video on youtube saying 1.00 is the best and most realistic, and that things at that zoom level appear its best and how it's meant to be seen, any above or below that and you're going to pixelate the image. Looks like I'm going to have to reset my zoom levels for my EZDok Camera views again, sigh. I should've stuck with 0.40 - 0.50. I always thought it looked much better. Anything higher and it looks cramped and claustrophobic. Plus its so much better as you can see much more when doing VFR flying looking at the beautiful scenery.

You simply have to use a setting that YOU like, not what someone else in a YouTube video tells you to. ;) About pixelating: you are pixelating the image at every zoom...! Don't know what the guy meant there. Sounds like nonsene to me: you will never see a texture at 100% and it will always be pixelated because that's how screens work...!

At a zoom of 1.00 you see every textures very large and up close and imho they always look blurred and vague that way. 0.30 might be too much for some but EVERYTHING is better then 1.00! ;)

Can't find words.. Looks so great!! Can't wait for tomorrow. 

Thanks for your great work. The price is simply amazing to what you get. I'll buy a lot of airports when more scandinavian airports get added. 

/Anders (Totally new to ORBX, I never fly in US)

This may be the link to the video you saw.  There are actually 2 Videos - Part 1 and 2.  

http://youtu.be/qjbCFNSofpk

http://youtu.be/ikwToOzX_UA

They provide the best explanation of zoom levels for FSX that I have seen.  He covers both normal and wide aspect monitors and the appropriate zoom levels on each and gives very detailed explanations of the entire concept.  In summary flying with a zoom level of .30 will give you a very wide angle view and sharper looking ground textures and an increased sense of speed, but other than sharp ground textures it is not realistic and the sense of speed is greatly exaggerated. You will also experience a lot of distortion as you pan.  It is much like trying to fly a real aircraft while looking through a very wide-angle lens.  Anyway check out the videos - it is well worth the time to watch them he also uses FTX scenery throughout the demonstrations!

It is much like trying to fly a real aircraft while looking through a very wide-angle lens.

You could say something similar about using a zoom of 1.0: that's like trying to fly a real aicraft with horse blinds on. ;) But I think it's impossible to compare flying 'on screen' with flying in real life so this remark doesn't make too much sense, although I understand the idea behind it. The biggest difference between flying in real life and on screen is the peripheral vision, which is completely lacking on a flat screen. To me a low zoom like 0.30 'cramps' what I would see in real life PLUS the peripheral view on one flat screen. Yes, obviously it looks odd and different because you shouldn't be seeing the peripheral view in front of you ;) but after a very short while you get used to it and it does help hiding the loading of textures and autogen which is so obvious with higher zooms.

But as I said above, everyone should simply use a setting they like. ;) Imho there is no wrong or right here.

Archived