The Great Glen Fault and beyond. Part 1

VH-KDK

This flight follows the Great Glen Fault and beyond.

We shall start at Inverness and fly down Loch Ness past Fort William today and tomorrow conclude the flight in my usual way!

Loch Ness has the second largest surface area after Loch Lomond but due to its great depth(deepest at 230m)it is the biggest by volume. It also contains more water than all the lakes in England and Wales combined.

1.3sj9e.jpg

Off from Inverness Airport beside the Moray Firth.

2.QhG2W.jpg

Over Inverness. The Beauly Firth is top centre with the Kessock Bridge clearly visible. We will follow the Caledonian Canal and the Ness River.

3.y9uoe.jpg

The first view of Lock Ness at Lochend. Loch Dochfour is under the Cessna.

4.isZ8Q.jpg

Invermoriston and the Moriston River.

5.8S5gw.jpg

The western end of Loch Ness at Fort Augustas. The Caledonian Canal and the River Oich can be seen. Spot the Lighthouse.

6.U0BRE.jpg

The start of Loch Oich at Aberchalder.

7.Clacy.jpg

Inbetween Loch Oich and Loch Lochy is Laggan and of course The Caledonian Canal.

8.3g9QV.jpg

Loch Archaig is to the right. Beinn Bhan is above the Cessna.

9.G5MB.jpg

Passing Gairlochy and Moy, Strone is at the bend of the Caledonian Canal which was constructed in the early 1800s with the chief engineer being Thomas Telford. Ben Nevis can now be seen.

10.JfOBP.jpg

Plenty in this cap. Ben Nevis, Fort William(Go the Fort),the Rivers Nevis and Lochy, the mouth of the Caledonian Canal, and (sea)Loch Linnhe. At 1344m Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in the UK.

Hope you liked viewing and to be continued.

Mastershots here VH!

Just seeing these shots makes my summer cooler. Enjoyed looking at them.

Smashing set these Martyn.

cheers

Iain

Just looking at your shots I feel cooler ! . Exceptional shots Martyn , I look forward to part two .

Cheers

Brad

Great shots Martyn. Scotland is very beautiful in winter. Thanks for posting these.

Outstanding shots and flight Martyn !!

Adam

Thank you all for the comments.

Glad I am cooling you down up there in the north, loving winter here but soon it will be my turn to roast!

Archived