To Orbx Team - NorCal Question

Kamanba

Hi guys,

I hve a questions for you. Im a faith customer of your company and i have bought all your ftx regions and a ton of airports....and i was wondering if we'll see the california region this year as well as the southern rocky mountains area......
If yes, i have two requests tha everyone might like:
1st, can we expect the california region to cover the whole californian state down to the border of megascenery x southern california ?
2nd, can you guy give details regarding the area being covered by the SRM, size and borders....etc

Thank you very much !!!

Hi Kamanba,

Northern California is in the works and we hope to release it towards the end of this year. Its coverage area has been finalized and reaches to just south of Fresno as shown in the screenshot below.  

A Southern Rockies region is still in the early planning stages and we don't know yet when we'll be starting on it and whether it'll be the next region after NCA.

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-54845500-1370806433_thumb.jpg

I'm glad to see Lake Tahoe won't be split down the middle but a bit disappointed that Reno was left out.  It's so close.

Let me pose two more questions.  What are you going to do about the Golden Gate and San Francisco Bay bridges?  Are you going to redo them or leave the ugly default bridges there?  Also Coit Tower.  Will it be moved to the top of Telegraph Hill where it belongs or left at the bottom f the hill where Microsoft placed it?

Noel (San Francisco home town boy)

Very nice!  I was not expecting any of the Bay Area.  I will admit to not knowing California well at all.  But I had assumed northern CA meant the upper 1/3 of the state.  I have always thought the Bay Area was 'middle California'

The Bay area is a gorgeous location and I cannot wait to fly there.  

Also, Nvidia corporation is located in Santa Clara.  Maybe you could model their HQ in high detail and have them sponsor the Orbx area to offset some of the development cost  ::)

Kidding of course

Also, is there any chance we could get a map of the New England maritime map?  That is another area I will admit to not being familiar with and it is open to interpretation.  Looking on Google, it looks like the most widely accepted interpretation is from Maine in the north as far west as New Hampshire and as far south as Connecticut and east to the tip of Cape Cod.  

Another breathtaking area to model.  Especially Maine.  I hope there are loads of custom 3-D lighthouses to go out and find.  

Also Coit Tower.  Will it be moved to the top of Telegraph Hill where it belongs or left at the bottom f the hill where Microsoft placed it?

I've repositioned all the Microsoft models as close as they can be, so the Coit Tower is on top of Telegraph Hill. If you are using Aerosoft's San Francisco product that will be compatible. 

Glad to hear Coit Tower will be in the right place.

I've tried Aerosoft's San Francisco but the bridges still look clunky.  I'm currently using Mike Mahat's FS9 Bay Area Bridges which are beautiful.  They fit perfectly with FSG mesh for FSX.

TpkN.th.jpg

Noel

Hi Kamanba,

Northern California is in the works and we hope to release it towards the end of this year. Its coverage area has been finalized and reaches to just south of Fresno as shown in the screenshot below.  

A Southern Rockies region is still in the early planning stages and we don't know yet when we'll be starting on it and whether it'll be the next region after NCA.

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger:

As a former Northern California resident I am very excited about this project!

One question - at the southern border, I see that is generally in the vicinity of the Monterey peninsula.  Has the team decided upon where the "cut-off" will be in that area?  Would Monterey, Pacific Grove or Carmel be included at all or will the line be north of that?

I know you have to draw the line somewhere, and there is much interesting scenery all along the coast, so though disappointing it would of course make sense if that area could not be included...

Thanks!

I just reinstalled Aerosoft San Francisco and while they udated the San Francisco Bay Bridge they are using the ugly default Golden Gate Bridge.

This is Matt Mahat's Golden Gate Bridge for San Francisco. It's for FS2004 but if you install it per instructions for Megascenery this is what it looks like in FSX. Mahat also includes a nice Bay Bridge before the earthquake and the San Mateo Bridge.

PARMs.th.jpg

This is the defalt/Aerosoft bridge.

PCBQq.th.jpg

Noel

So far it's looking like you'll be able to use NCA and Aerosoft's San Francisco together to get our new custom bridge with it's photoreal area and keep the entire downtown from Aerosoft. I'm working on making compatibility as seamless as possible since I know many users have the Aerosoft product. There will be some colouration mis-match but beside that it should be seamless.

When the time comes we'll post compatibility instructions and screenshots, like what Holger did for Anchorage when SAK was released

Hi Kevin,

Hello Holger:

As a former Northern California resident I am very excited about this project!

One question - at the southern border, I see that is generally in the vicinity of the Monterey peninsula.  Has the team decided upon where the "cut-off" will be in that area?  Would Monterey, Pacific Grove or Carmel be included at all or will the line be north of that?

I know you have to draw the line somewhere, and there is much interesting scenery all along the coast, so though disappointing it would of course make sense if that area could not be included...

The southern boundary of NCA runs at N36° 33.6', which is ~2mi south of KMRY airport. In other words, all of Monterey is included but not Carmel.

There are a number of factors that influence where we place region boundaries and one of the more important ones is the internal world grid of FSX that fixes the location of landscape exclude files. Thus, it's not possible to "nudge" region boundaries a few miles this or that way, it's always a matter of adding or dropping many hundred square miles at once.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Kevin,

The southern boundary of NCA runs at N36° 33.6', which is ~2mi south of KMRY airport. In other words, all of Monterey is included but not Carmel.

There are a number of factors that influence where we place region boundaries and one of the more important ones is the internal world grid of FSX that fixes the location of landscape exclude files. Thus, it's not possible to "nudge" region boundaries a few miles this or that way, it's always a matter of adding or dropping many hundred square miles at once.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger - Thank you for the explanation!  That makes sense - it is unfortunate that the FSX grid boundary wasn't just a few miles farther south, but it is great that most of the Monterey Peninsula is included.  Certainly with FTX Global the boundaries shouldn't be as jarring...

Looking at the grid map, it appears I could still land my Scout on the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach in Orbx NorCal :P

Again, thanks for pursuing this project!

Very nice!  I was not expecting any of the Bay Area.  I will admit to not knowing California well at all.  But I had assumed northern CA meant the upper 1/3 of the state.  I have always thought the Bay Area was 'middle California'

The Bay area is a gorgeous location and I cannot wait to fly there. 

When I lived in the Bay Area, we joked that anything south of Carmel was "Central California" and anything north of Healdsburg was Oregon ;)

But yes, it will be amazing to fly in an Orbx landscape as far south as Monterey ...  and Crater Lake will be included!!! 8)

I'm sure it's going to be worth the wait. The Bay Area was where it all started for me, with Flight Unlimited II all those years ago. I have so many (virtual) memories of flying there with the Beaver, Baron and "Trainer 172", learning everything from basic flight controls (pitch, roll, yaw) to navigation, weather, landings and even ATC (FU II had rudimentary real-time ATC and AI traffic). It's almost like I lived part of my life there... It's going to be great re-discovering it in P3D with all the latest OrbX technologies.

Also it means you'll be able to follow the coastline from Salinas all the way to Seward/Anchorage over continuous, high-detail scenery, which is pretty amazing. Quite an improvement over the 11,000 square miles of terrain that Flight Unlimited II came with.

• 2 months later...

Not much in the way of screenshot, we've still got our heads down working away.

In terms of news, I have finished the bulk of the photoreal which encompasses almost every significant natural feature of NorCal. As soon as I can I will begin teasing them :)

Not much in the way of screenshot, we've still got our heads down working away.

In terms of news, I have finished the bulk of the photoreal which encompasses almost every significant natural feature of NorCal. As soon as I can I will begin teasing them :)

My Christmas gift!! can't wait!

Archived