FTX Global - Video - Hong Kong vs Default

Will FTX Global take memory from the video card or main memory?

Considering that FSX is still 32bit and has a limited amount of memory (video memory eats into that allocated amount); will there be an impact on performance by using memory intensive aircraft?

Would be really interesting to see how much memory was actually being used during these flights with the microlight.

Cheers

So; is that video memory or main system memory Bruce?

My installation of FSX on a 64bit operating system (Windoze 7) bounces along with about 2GB of main system memory being used.  If you couple that with video memory, it's not leaving a great deal left as FSX is 32bit.

Flying over places where OSM data is being used extensively; for example Berlin, then more memory will be used. 

Would be interesting to know if OSM data is being used by system memory or Video memory.  

Flying over places where OSM data is being used extensively; for example Berlin, then more memory will be used.

Shouldn't make much difference, because FSX loads and unloads objects and textures on the fly.  If you're strapped for memory, use something like Game Booster to unload all unessential programs and processes before you launch FSX.  I gain upwards of 40% performance increase with it, which helps a lot when you have 16 gigs of RAM and FSX only sees 4.

Shouldn't make much difference, because FSX loads and unloads objects and textures on the fly.  If you're strapped for memory, use something like Game Booster to unload all unessential programs and processes before you launch FSX.  I gain upwards of 40% performance increase with it, which helps a lot when you have 16 gigs of RAM and FSX only sees 4.

On a 16GB 64 bit system I'm hoping that FSX will be able to see as much memory as it can handle, LOL.

FSX can only handle at most 4GB being 32bit. 

In terms of loading and unloading; some objects will go to main memory for processing; whilst other parts of FSX will go to the video card.

If you have 1/2GB of video memory being utilised by FSX for textures and numerous other graphical add-ons, then it doesn't leave much memory for OSM objects.  

In X-Plane 64bit for example I can use as much as 6GB in total with OSM data (buildings and trees), high res mesh and textures installed.  When X-Plane was 32bit, this wasn't possible because I'd run out of memory. 

It will be interesting to see how Global works with some heavy duty add-ons installed. 

Archived