FSX does not want to load.

alexf

Stays in splash screen forever with Task Manager showing "Not Responding" but process show memory going up and down for over 15 minutes.

Moved logbook.bin out. FSX.CFG is renamed, deleted my last saved flight (which I always save as default reusing the same filename), just in case it was corrupted, and deleted the Previous flight files too.

I looked at Addon Scenery and sorted by last folder on top. It was installed way before this but renamed it just in case. When it started, it complained the folder was missing very early in the sequence so I see it gets to Addon Scenery, but after pressing OK for the missing scenery files, same thing. In every case (tedious) I let it go at the FSX splash screen for up to 15 minutes.

I suspect it must be a corrupted file somewhere.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Id put the FSX disc in the drive, run the installer and select repair install.  It sounds like you my have a corrupt file somewhere along the lines but god knows which one?  Remember that once you have done a repair install of FSX you will need to reinstall SP2/Acceleration.

Without going that far I tried setting FTX Central to Default. it worked. Loaded default at Friday Harbor and flew around in default scenery.

Set FTX Central to NA and Asia and neither one works. Something is corrupted somewhere.

Hi Alex, I have seen this before. Set your FTX Central to default then take a look at your scenery\world\scenery folder and check that all the ADE_FTX files end with the suffix .OFF. If they don't then edit the name so that they do. Then try setting FTX central to a scenery area then back to default and so on a couple of times. Check your scenery\world\scenery folder again and the FTX files should be .OFF if you have FTX Central set to default, .BGL for the area in use if you have FTX Central set to a particular region.

Norman

Alex is it worth a try to use "System restore" and go back to a point in time when you did not have problems?

Ken

System restore is dangerous as other things may get changed too. I have my own backup system with Beyond Compare, a great utility app to compare folders.

Hi Alex, I have seen this before. Set your FTX Central to default then take a look at your scenery\world\scenery folder and check that all the ADE_FTX files end with the suffix .OFF. If they don't then edit the name so that they do. Then try setting FTX central to a scenery area then back to default and so on a couple of times. Check your scenery\world\scenery folder again and the FTX files should be .OFF if you have FTX Central set to default, .BGL for the area in use if you have FTX Central set to a particular region.

Norman

Good idea. It cycles fine with .OFF in all files when in default, then only back to BGL in the ORBX area selected. Some file is corrupted somewhere.

Archived