Cessna 150 - The little beauty I'm training on

alexf

I am training for a PPL on this beauty at North Perry airport (KHWO) in Hollywood, Florida. It belongs to my instructor and is almost as old as me.

She flies very nicely.

D30_9351w-L.jpg

Weather is always good. An occasional rain here and there. Not ready to solo yet. I am at 20 hours or so. Working on landings now.

The aircraft is from 1958 and in very good shape.

That first solo is the most fun, a couple times around and you'll feel like a million bucks.

Don't put it off too long, take it as soon as your instructor says you are ready. Everything changes after that first trip.

Have fun.

Thanks! Just came from another class (1.6 hours Thursday 5pm to 6:30 pm or so). Pretty quiet place on a weekday, compared to the busy airspace on weekends as I'm used to.

We went to Opa-Locka (KOPF) a few miles away for a different experience. Did nice touch and gos plus one more returning home to KWHO for a total of 10. Did pretty good. The last two were flawless. The previous ones not so much but not that bad.

Had a try at three different runways. First they gave us the long one (12,000ft)  27R and right pattern until it got busy with bizjets. Then they switched us to the one we wanted, 27L, shorter (5,000 ft) and not busy. Then the wind changed so they switched us around to reverse to 9R on the shorter runway. Had a blast trying so many different runways and right then left pattern work. Good practice.

Hey Alex - is there still a plaque in front of the first BIG tan hangar's office door? If so, can you get a picture of it, please?

Don

Don't know which one you are referring to. There are three entrances to the place. I go on the main entrance on the north side (Pines Blvd). From there there are a few buildings. Need to show me which building, maybe on a Google maps pic? I don't recall seeing any plaques.

This is an old sat image in Google Maps. The runways are not 18R-36L anymore but 19R-01R.

KWHO_Sat1_zpseef02080.jpg

OK, it would be the hangar that is now used by the banner draggers.The entrance back then was on the south side to the left of the big doors. There was a small grass area there.That was the only thing on the north side of the field when I started working there. This is very cool to meet someone who is flying there now. Oh, back then the hangar was blue!

Don

Very happy for you. You looking at plane ownership or renting after? Congrats on your progress.

Charles.

Don't know. Wife is an issue on this one.

OK, it would be the hangar that is now used by the banner draggers.The entrance back then was on the south side to the left of the big doors. There was a small grass area there.That was the only thing on the north side of the field when I started working there. This is very cool to meet someone who is flying there now. Oh, back then the hangar was blue!

Don

I have not seen a plaque. Will look. The thin left part of  the big hangar, with a little darker roof is the NSA Aviation School.

I am training for a PPL on this beauty at North Perry airport (KHWO) in Hollywood, Florida. It belongs to my instructor and is almost as old as me.

She flies very nicely.

Good luck with your PPL Alex.  Its funny you should mention the aeroplanes age.  When I did my PPL I did it in a C152 that was as old as I am.  When I did hour building in Florida I few many 1978 C172's and actually did my JAA night rating at KHWO.  X country KFRP - KHWO then 5 touch and go's.  I'm pretty sure they were glad to see the back of me :lol:  Have you been to Everglades Air Park yet?  Great fun landing on their short runway.

Archived