CBB7 Tipella BC, Canada Freeware Previews

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice job Gordon. It hasn't changed much since I flew in there in 1985. I don't recall a float base hangar back then so it must be booming up there...

Used to take loggers and their supplies in and out of there with now long gone Chilliwack Aviation in a 182. The one aspect I remembered the most was departing North and always worrying about the tall evergreens on the end of the strip and how quickly you approached them before getting airborne when fully loaded. I certainly would not have flown into there at night back then. Frequent rain and low clouds made it difficult enough during the daylight. My last visit up there was 91/92 so it will be entertaining to do a flight down memory lane again. Thanks for your time and efforts, they won't go wasted.

Cheers,

Thad

Amazing job Gordon!  Love the floatbase and the whole atmosphere here.  Can't believe it's free; that is payware quality work....now I've got to clean up where I drooled all over my desk!

Great shots, looking forward to this. 

Especially animated beer-guy.  Clearly ORBX is ready to expand the whole concept of "people-flow".

What a great way to say thank you -- we appreciate this because you don't have to do things like this!

I've been following the comments, and I'm kind of overwhelmed with the reception my work has received. Thank you all for making me feel so welcome here.

Sadly, the real world Tipella I have researched for this project has had it's share of abuse from developers.

Upon considerable reflection on the design possibilities, I have chosen to create a more romantic atmosphere for my rendering. I have included all of the amenities you would hope to see in a remote bush/float plane destination such as this. I've made every attempt to be as accurate as possible with tree placements etc, but at the same time the vegetation and overall appearance is deliberately dramatic. Just visualize a Disney ride...you'll get the idea.

I will include sounds you would expect to hear in a remote mountainous area. You will hear loons, grebes and gulls with the occasional insect noises. Besides that maybe a distant incoming flight.

I hope you will all enjoy this place. I'll be working diligently until this project is ready for release...and yes, I do give careful consideration to everyone's comments and requests.

Cheers

It's indeed a lovely project by Gordon.

Just like Vlad Maly (and others before him) cut his teeth on Orbx scenery design with his freeware airports, we're doing the same with Gordon's debut scenery as a freeware release and then he will apply this same attention to detail for a future payware offering.

That's lovely news JV! Its indeed a truly gorgeous and incredibly atmospheric piece of work Gordon, just judging from the development (WIP) screens and your description alone! And thanks for an insight into the history, geography and flight-specifics of the place (love learning new things about places I don't know personally). I'm bowled over, really. Can't wait to feel the immersion in the BC bush for myself :) And thank you both again for another great-looking freeware. Best of luck with the completion work and you're intriguing next project too Gordon! From one forum newbie to a talented Orbx Developer newbie!

It's indeed a lovely project by Gordon.

Just like Vlad Maly (and others before him) cut his teeth on Orbx scenery design with his freeware airports, we're doing the same with Gordon's debut scenery as a freeware release and then he will apply this same attention to detail for a future payware offering.

So how does an aspiring scenery artist get a tryout like this?  Is it just an informal thing where a guy sits down and gives it his best shot and sends it in as a draft project...?  And then you decide if it is worthy of public consumption?  he could use the ORBX scenery library I would think, provided he does not share it, correct?  Maybe then at that point the guy could get access to people-flow and animal flow and grass textures and all that stuff.

I am not suggesting I am good enough to qualify, but I have kicked it around a few times in my head before I saw this thread, and it certainly would be an interesting challenge.  The FTX region airports that your man Neal (and possibly others) have done are really pretty damn good just the way they are.  I would imagine that it would really require some kind special object/building content, along with the people/various-flow items to improve up on what you already have.  And really that is where I would probably fall short.

Generally I come across scenery and airport designers either by seeing their work at FSDeveloper.com, other websites or someone on the team lets me know of a person I should talk to. I also get approached by developers who have already made previous sceneries and want to join our team. In that instance I usually ask for examples of their work before we talk much further.

The Orbx FTX EULA prevents anyone from using our libraries in projects and sometimes we have to gently remind people of this if we see them used in projects. In most cases if their work is good enough (as was Gordon's) then I invite them to make some freeware for Orbx and see how things pan out.

Anyone approaching me wanting to develop for Orbx but has no prior experience usually gets referred to OZx or FSDeveloper to learn the essentials before we take discussions further. We did run an intern program for a while but as it turned out most of those were young guys who did not have the time to see any project to completion or had study conflicts etc, so we just stopped that because it was too much for us to administrate.

I hope this answers your questions about the process.

Gordon,

Two things come to mind, first will it work in DX10 preview without any issues and secondly, could you reconsider removing the fuel trigger while in the service hangar and just have it at the fuel dock? Reason being is that many FSEconomy users will be using this and it will cause issues for those who would like to end their flight up in the Hangar.  Also FSPax users might also have issue with starting a flight there as amphib planes like the C172 etc can't fly full fuel without giving up a lot of carry load.

One other thing just came to mind since this set seems to all be during one part of the seasons. I dont know scenery design so please forgive my request if it sounds far fetched.  It would enjoyable if during the wet season that the dirt strip could have puddles on it either as a feature (like how lakes freeze during the winter in FTX) or a Control Panel checkbox option. The closes info I could find about rain in the Tipella area was this link:

http://www.chinci.com/travel/pax/q/6166954/Tipella+Indian+Reserve+7/CA/Canada/0/#1|5|travel|pax|5|6166954|Tipella Indian Reserve 7|CA|Canada|America/Vancouver|02|RESV|49.7829916|-122.2193154|British Columbia

You have a true taste for giving a bush feel and I hope to see more of your work in the bush areas of Orbx!

I"ve noted Kilstorms tip on the fuel trigger and will only place it at the dock....thanks K. Great tip. The test team here will give the betas a good flogging prior to release. Any nasities lurking in the design will be addressed.

"High Iron", I'd like to pick your brain for details. Reliable info on CBB7 is rather hard to come by. A vet would be a great resource.

Years ago, before they improved the facility, I flew out of KMMH with my Dad in a 401. Loaded on a hot day we mowed the lawn more than once. I can't imagine Tipella in a full 182.

CBB7 will offer seasonal changes as well as other ORBX features. I'm working on some special trees for the Fall season, which I hope everyone will enjoy. The seasonal changes built into the design will be activated at the end of "construction". In this case it will require quite a bit of code, but the end result will be well worth it.

I'd like to acknowledge John V. and the Orbx devs who have honored my work with their kind comments in this thread. This is a great team, and I'm looking forward to our future projects.

Generally I come across scenery and airport designers either by seeing their work at FSDeveloper.com, other websites or someone on the team lets me know of a person I should talk to. I also get approached by developers who have already made previous sceneries and want to join our team. In that instance I usually ask for examples of their work before we talk much further.

The Orbx FTX EULA prevents anyone from using our libraries in projects and sometimes we have to gently remind people of this if we see them used in projects. In most cases if their work is good enough (as was Gordon's) then I invite them to make some freeware for Orbx and see how things pan out.

Anyone approaching me wanting to develop for Orbx but has no prior experience usually gets referred to OZx or FSDeveloper to learn the essentials before we take discussions further. We did run an intern program for a while but as it turned out most of those were young guys who did not have the time to see any project to completion or had study conflicts etc, so we just stopped that because it was too much for us to administrate.

I hope this answers your questions about the process.

JV this is a very good answer, thank you for putting this much into explaining how this works.  And it makes a great deal of sense -- the best place to learn this stuff is probably FSDeveloper; certainly that is where the resources are, and expertise of those that are established.  Honestly I think anybody that serious about the craft is almost certainly already over there asking questions, it would be surprised if you would have to refer anybody.

So in my own case I will just continue working on what I have been tinkering with, and see if it gets noticed anywhere.  I generally split my time between building missions and experimenting with sceneries, so naturally the result is that I have a healthy appreciation for the difficulty of doing both, but have really not mastered either.  And of course my hard drive is littered with cool ideas that I never seem to finish.  I am, by the way, working on a series of freeware missions that are made to highlight & advertise your FTX regions.  More on that later.

Thank you for shining a little light on this, John, and thanks for doing what you do.  You are really setting a whole new standard.

JV this is a very good answer, thank you for putting this much into explaining how this works.  And it makes a great deal of sense -- the best place to learn this stuff is probably FSDeveloper; certainly that is where the resources are, and expertise of those that are established.  Honestly I think anybody that serious about the craft is almost certainly already over there asking questions, it would be surprised if you would have to refer anybody.

So in my own case I will just continue working on what I have been tinkering with, and see if it gets noticed anywhere.  I generally split my time between building missions and experimenting with sceneries, so naturally the result is that I have a healthy appreciation for the difficulty of doing both, but have really not mastered either.  And of course my hard drive is littered with cool ideas that I never seem to finish.  I am, by the way, working on a series of freeware missions that are made to highlight & advertise your FTX regions.  More on that later.

Thank you for shining a little light on this, John, and thanks for doing what you do.  You are really setting a whole new standard.

Hi Ripcord,

Missions for ORBX-Land? That would be cool!

Maybe you could post them in the new section for add-ons here in the forum?

Highly appreciated!

BTW: Great scenery! Looking forward to flying in that strip!

Doc Bird, that is the plan, sir.  First got finish a couple of them, clean them up a bit and add some decent dialogue content.  Then I gotta get folks to test them.

If you are interested in being a tester, for me and for others, I am member of a smaller group of mission builders who build and test fly missions.  The group is slowly expanding, we might have 10-20 members.  You can join to be a resident member and get access to all the mission content.  It is called FSX Missions Hangar. at www.fsxmissionhangar.com

Hi Ripcord,

Missions for ORBX-Land? That would be cool!

Maybe you could post them in the new section for add-ons here in the forum?

Highly appreciated!

BTW: Great scenery! Looking forward to flying in that strip!

Maybe once I finish them and get them tested, I will check with the ORBX moderators to see if they would mind my posting my content there.  I was hoping that they would let me do that, but we will see. 

But first got to get a couple done and cleaned up and ready for proper testing.

Doc Bird, that is the plan, sir.  First got finish a couple of them, clean them up a bit and add some decent dialogue content.  Then I gotta get folks to test them.

If you are interested in being a tester, for me and for others, I am member of a smaller group of mission builders who build and test fly missions.  The group is slowly expanding, we might have 10-20 members.  You can join to be a resident member and get access to all the mission content.  It is called FSX Missions Hangar. at www.fsxmissionhangar.com

Hi Ripcord,

signed up for an user account on that website and awaiting approval.  Looks like a nice site.  

Mike

Heh, I actually did not realize that the first post I made actually got posted, I thought I'd lost it.  Then I thought more about it and figured I would not continue to hijack Gordon's thread here to go quite that far off-topic.

Maybe CBB7 will lend itself well to a few mission ideas.... at least while we are waiting, perhaps we can think something up interesting and fun for that.

"High Iron", I'd like to pick your brain for details. Reliable info on CBB7 is rather hard to come by. A vet would be a great resource.

Feel free to pick away. I hope any memories I have can be useful if you need them, even as spotty as they are. PM me if there is something you feel I may be of assistance with.

Cheers,

Thad

• 2 weeks later...

The final code work has been finished. Tipella has seasons. A last bit of touch up and our beta guys will give it a final look. I've attached a few winter shots to pique your interest. The D-17 is pure eye candy...I couldn't resist.

Enjoy...

post-27339-0-67230400-1371402946_thumb.j

post-27339-0-53383100-1371402861_thumb.j

post-27339-0-89990400-1371402870_thumb.j

post-27339-0-89324000-1371402881_thumb.j

post-27339-0-20370800-1371402892_thumb.j

post-27339-0-15226300-1371402900_thumb.j

post-27339-0-41017400-1371402910_thumb.j

post-27339-0-35065400-1371402920_thumb.j

post-27339-0-43981800-1371402932_thumb.j

Archived