And not for something completely different

Guest Private-Cowboy

Guest Private-Cowboy

I hope you don't mind if I show a screenshot that has nothing to do with an FTX product (rare, but happens). But I've to draw your attention to this now-masterpiece (with SP1 that is)...

Posted Image

I really recommend you take a closer look at this ugly beauty - hard to believe what you get here for the price of "only" two Carenados. Best bang for the buck in a loooong time if you ask me.

Hope you like the shot and don't mind a non-FTX shot once in a while.  ;D

Hi P-C,

You are on the money there, it's a cranky bugger that needs to be flown by the book, but that makes the charm of it and once you've mastered that she will reward you with some sweet flying, it is something totally different than a Cessna but that has another charm this one has a very special one ........... beauty is allways in the eye of the beholder ;)

I love flying this plane....for one minute and then I crash and burn...it's too tricky for me to fly. :o I usually get home from work tired and I don't feel like going in deep to learn to manage this plane. But it is no doubt a high quality addon.

Erik,

I don't know if you have the 'Accusim' module that you can purchase with the B377 but if so, you can always temporarily disable this module for easier flying as you won't need to constantly monitor your engines, cowl intakes, intercoolers etc etc. Also, you need to have a reasonably long runway, set flaps to 25 degrees (from memory) prior to takeoff and lastly, there was a little patch for Service Pack 1 (SP1) users that needed to be installed for some folk (those with FSX SP2 installed but not Acceleration) or the Engine Manifold pressure wouldn't go past around 35" so take-off wasnt going to happen. You may need to install that patch?

With SP1, the patch, flaps and Accusim turned off, its fairly easy to fly, just dont pull the yoke back too far as this aircraft takes a while to get altitude. It's a fantastic model though, with superb viewing in the Flight Station.

Paul

Guest Private-Cowboy

@Wolter: You're absolutely right. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't mean that I don't like the 377 when it comes to looks. I must say that I prefer the more elegant forms of a Connie or at least a plane with a "nose". The 377 looks very unusual to my eyes. It makes her special though as she does not look alike any other plane (like todays jetliner are so similar looking).

And I did not mean to say anything negative about Carenado planes. I love them myself and they are just right if you wanna enjoy the beauty of FTX for half an hour. But the Carenados are also as shallow as can be (the 152 shares the same air file as the FSX 172SP - air files are absolutely identical shown by a bit level comparison) and don't offer much of a challenge. You can jump in a Carenado plane and have fun and given the beautiful texturing you get a lot of milage out of them. However you don't have to care for anything in those planes, you cannot break em and you don't need more than two buttons to operate them.

That's why I like the 377 for a change. It nearly takes longer to start everything up properly than my usual 152 flight. And that is a totally different kind of challenge. Yesterday (when I took the pic above) I had huge problems getting all engines running. It was cold and wet and the engines would always stutter and die again and needed to be refired. Even raised idle rpm could not keep em running because the oil temp. was not high enough. There is a lot of fun to be had. And if you want to have the 377 "Caranado-Style" you can have that with the press of one button.

Comparing Carenado planes to the 377 is like comparing Need4Speed to GTR2 (If you know that one). The first might look flashier and may be something for your primal instincts but the latter has depth and substance.

I'm surprised that the 377 doesn't even need a lot of runway. I can operate her easily out of YSCH. However you have to be careful not to overdo the pitch on takeoff or you'll not get far. Sadly there are so little repaints of the 377. I'm not sure why that is. Is the general public more interested in shallow but good looking addons (not that the 377 is not good lookking) or is the 377 unattractive as a plane itself and people wait for the next B737 or A320?

Guest Private-Cowboy

Had quite a bit of fun visiting Busselton with the 377. I was surprised to see how well the 377 can cope with smaller fields now that she can break...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I cant wait to get this Beauty, I am too young to remember Planes like this, but I love the look of the Old Girl.

I can only just start up a Cessna with My Saitek Prof Flight Panel, But i still use Auto mixture as i dont fully get all this.

I will get there and then buy this, But I think until i can use it properly it would be a waste of my dosh at the moment(DO YOU AGREE?)

Thanks for the Piccies, Looks great

Cheers

Jason

Guest Private-Cowboy

Well the 377 is not complex if you don't want her to be. You can switch the complexity "off" by disableing AccuSim (or not even buying that must have addition) and then the 377 is like any other shallow Cessna. If your comfy with that you enable AccuSim and start flying in a totally different dimension.

The 377 does not force its complexity upong you. It is very deep and complex if you want her to be. But she can serve you just as well as a simple cruiser to have fun in.

Well the 377 is not complex if you don't want her to be. You can switch the complexity "off" by disableing AccuSim (or not even buying that must have addition) and then the 377 is like any other shallow Cessna. If your comfy with that you enable AccuSim and start flying in a totally different dimension.

The 377 does not force its complexity upong you. It is very deep and complex if you want her to be. But she can serve you just as well as a simple cruiser to have fun in.

OKAY Done, I will buy it then, I will get the ACCUSIM as I want that kinda Flying when I get up to Speed.

I have other Shockwave products and love them, So I think this will be next in my Hangar,

Thanks Private Cowboy

Cheers

Jason

Guest Private-Cowboy

Some more...

Posted Image

I bet Busselton has never seen such a monster.

Posted Image

Rolling with Busselton in the background.

Posted Image

You can lift her up any time you like - as the aussie would put it  ;D

Posted Image

Cruising over Western Australia gaining alt slowly.

Hope you'll like the pics

Guest Private-Cowboy

Well, it was never meant to be beautiful but to carry parts of the Saturn rocket. That's why the fuse of the 377 was modified. There is also a newer version that was used by Airbus to carry parts around - this one (the Superguppy) featured turbo prop engines instead of the piston ones.

But you're right, the 377 itself is already ugly. This one is off the scale. ;D But I like it when planes not look alike.

Archived