Time for a Holiday: Introducing Broome International Airport YBRM

Posted Image

G'day everyone,

I'm very excited to unveil the first shots of my latest airport - Broome International Airport. After a recent foray into US projects, this will mark a short return to Australian airports for me; Broome is located within the FTX AU Green area. On a personal note, Broome has been a bit of a pet project - my family holidayed there regularly when I was growing up, and I have to say the area is one of the most dramatically beautiful places I have visited.

For those not familiar with the town, Broome is one of the biggest tourist destinations in Australia; as well as being home to the world-famous Cable Beach, it is also a major hub and gateway to the Kimberley wilderness area. Broome has a fascinating and diverse history, much of it centred around the pearling industry that was set up in the 1880s - indeed one of the many visual icons of the town is the sight of a pearling lugger sailing past Cable Beach at sunset. The town also came to prominence during World War II, when the airport (home to USAAF B-17 and B-24 bombers) and town site were bombed by the Japanese. The most well-known casualties of this raid were a fleet of Dutch flying boats anchored at Roebuck Bay - these aircraft were on their way from the Dutch East Indies to Perth at the time.

The airport itself is quite iconic due to it's proximity to the town centre - the main runway at YBRM essentially cuts the town in half. From an eastern approach, short (short) finals take you low over the town centre - when visiting the local outdoor cinema (Sun Cinemas - incidentally the oldest outdoor cinema in the world), it is common to be interrupted by a 737 flying over only dozens of feet overhead! When approaching from the west, short finals take you over the impeccably white sand of Cable Beach, passing just to the south of the Cable Beach Resort.

Broome International Airport is the major hub for the Kimberley and north-east Pilbara regions; it is served by by five major airlines (Qantas, Virgin, Skywest, Air North & Skippers), is base to most major GA operators in the Kimberley (in fact is home to more C208 Caravans than any other airport in Australia), and is a regular host to international and interstate business jet traffic. More recently, Broome has seen the construction of a large new heliport to service the Super Pumas and Sikorsky S-92s flying up the offshore rigs in the Timor Sea. I have spent a large amount of development time optimising the scenery to a high degree, so whether you are an NGX flyer, "low and slow" cruiser or even a helicopter (or amphibian!) explorer, Broome Airport should be perfectly suited to your requirements without breaking your machine.

FEATURES

- Ultra-detailed & low-impact rendition of Broome International Airport (YBRM),

- Huge coverage area including the entire town of Broome, Dampier Peninsula, Dampier Creek and Cable Beach

- High-quality ground coverage at 7cm (airport), 50cm (town centre & cable beach), 80cm (town and peninsula) and 9m (extended coastal waters)

- More than 15 new StaticFlow models, variations and skins created specifically for Broome

- Advanced rendering & ambient occlusion techniques

- Dozens of local landmarks and points of interest, including Broome Jetty, the Sun Cinema, Broome town centre, Gantheaume Point lighthouse and Cable Beach Resort

- Brand-new tropical vegetation library - created specifically for Broome!

- Custom AI ships - including vessels unique to Broome

- Full suite of ObjectFlow, PeopleFlow2, TextureFlow and CreatureFlow

- Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX AU SP4

COVERAGE

Posted Image

Enjoy!

Jarrad

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

WOW!

On my "to buy list" - looking fantastic!

A big "Thank You" Jarrad for all this detailed information (it'd be great to watch some movies at the Sun Cinemas ;) )

And all this fantastic vegetation! This is looking really amazing ... it really adds some great variation into ORBX Australia!

... getting my planes ready to go there as soon as possible (and now on my way to set up some dedicated flightplans in advance)

Great work!

Cheers, Christoph

Jarrad your work is stunning.....just an enormous amount of detail right there, looking forward to seeing it progress. You got me as a customer for sure

One thing which really struck me is the way that in shot 15 each one of those individual cones actually follows the slope of the terrain....just superb attention to detail, such little things add so much

Cheers

Indeed that is a difference to the default FSX/FTX Broome scenery, Jarrad. A great entry to the northwest of WA, where AussieX has put quite some things to explore. I am sure we´ll see lots of screenies of the region after your successful release!

That looks amazing. Question. Would this look okay with the Holgermesh Austrailia (freeware) if I bought airport only?

Greywolf, I would like to recommend AU red (or all AU, with the recent discount), plus the OZx freeware. The desert simply looks amazing.

WOW ...... that is some busy looking airport. Will be on my to get list. One other airport in that area I would like to see done in its original 1943 configuration is Truscott. At the moment when I fly my RAAF Liberators or Mosquitos I usually fly from Truscott to areas like Indonesia, Timor and other islands in the range of these aircraft.

Archived