[FTX GLOBAL] - Debut video! The EU Preview in 1080p

Ok time for a bit of fun with this.

I am not the world's best FS video producer but here's what I did here.

I bought a cheap little $10 tripod for my iPhone5 and pointed it towards my Macbook Pro Retina running at 2880x1800 resolution with all sliders maxxed in FSX. I then shot 1080p video clips and used the $5 iMovie app on the iPhone5 itself to edit this trailer and upload it directly to YouTube.

Of course it's not perfect; you can see the laptop screen bezel in some shots and YouTube has added in some stutters during the conversion, but it's as close to sitting on my shoulder as I test the pre-alpha version of FTX Global as you can get.

There are another 5-6 iMovie trailer templates I can use, so in the coming weeks I will so North America, Asia, Africa and Pacific Island mini-trailers for you all.

So sit back, watch this in 1080p with the sound turned up LOUD, and enjoy!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdC7jMjWMZA

This is pure FTX Global; no other addons, no mesh, no LC - just the FTXG textures and nothing else.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice job John; especially considering your tools!

I sat down with my coke and popcorn and then it ended..... :P

I've stashed it all away now, in readiness for the next video: hope the coke doesn't go flat :D

Amazing what you can do on a limited budget; just look at John Carpenter!!

Dom

Outstanding!

What specs was the computer used to this video? :)

Specs are in my sig ;)

There is no fancy tricks used, this is a pure video shot from my phone, edited on the phone, and then uploaded direct to YT. The only thing I am miffed at is the slight stutters introduce either by the iPhone or YouTube's codecs. In reality the MBP Retina runs downtown Paris smooth as silk all sliders maxed at 30FPS locked using the nVidia Inspector external FPS lock.

John are you using Bootcamp 5, 4, 3?

Last week I lost my Bootcamp partition (which was made in Snow leopard before I upgraded to Mountain Lion) during a power cut and had to reinstall it.

Upon making a fresh Bootcamp partition in Mountain Lion I learnt that my Windows Enterprise disk was no longer supported in Bootcamp 5; only versions 4 and below: I thought I was stuffed!

So, I had remove ML, install SL, make a Bootcamp partition, install Windows, then boot into OSX and install ML...phew

These are the supported versions of Windows in Bootcamp 5:

• Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Enterprise versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 are not supported.

So for any mac users looking to update to Mountain Lion; be careful if you have to make a new partition.

Sorry for the over long description, LOL.

Yeah a bit long LOL.

This is a new MBP Retina 2012 so it came with the latest OSX version and Bootcamp drivers out of the box. It has performed flawlessly for me these past two months, hands down the best FS development machine I have used.

OK for those who want to see more of Paris, low and slow and at dusk with the alpha test new 3D lighting, here's one I made last week as a test (run it full screen at 1080p though!):

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYY0z6o8Cac

Excuse my ugly mug in the laptop screen reflection when I change time of day, LOL!

This vid shows the incredible density of the autogen (maxxed) and you can occasionally see the FPS counter top left. Smooth as silk. Imagine this on a 4.6Ghz current top-end Intel and GTX680 huh?

Abso-f***-lutely great!!! Great vids anyway JV. Sometimes the iPhone cam gets a little underestimated. I leke filming with it and combined with the ollo clip its a good and cheap alternativ to a gopro. It has a good stabilizer inside so I took some cool inflight cockpit vids with it :) Unfortunately i cannot make em available online.

Greetz

MJ

You know what's funny? I'll tell you: Instead of capturing the video with Fraps for getting top quality and editing it using cool effects like other FS-developers do, JV simply uses his iPhone camera. And it looks freakin' awesome. This is, well, just Orbx :D

Hello all.

At first I liked the idea of FTX GLOBAL. Everyday I was following the discussions with a great interest about how the installation will be, setups, impacts on the framerates and the like. There were also many stunning photos followed, and from the very beginning I was considering myself to jump on the FTX GLOBAL boat.

Today there were 2 preview videos that made me speechless! only one word. OUTSTANDING!

People like you bring our hobby into higher standards. Congratulations ORBX Team.

Will other Continents have the same detail as FTX GLOBAL EU we saw today on the preview?

Damn, so that's what FSX with max Autogen looks like! So now I have to get this and figure out how to make this box more powerful to take full advantage of everything this add on will offer.....

Thanks for the preview vids.

That was 'EPIC'! What a good advert for the iphone iMovie app - getting it right now. Loved the credits, you can have alot of fun with those.

And the retina screen is excellent, I totally forgot I was watching a video of a screen.

Enjoyed making my Youtube comment though :D

Well J.V. I think you should be SENT to Boot Camp for giving us such a short sharp lesson! It does'nt half look good though eh?

Even with my pension discount I didn't think I would be able to afford "Global" but if I can just trim Her Indoors expenditure I might just be able to swing it. Perhaps another couple of snippets will do the trick.

Cheers, Kevin

Great vid JV,...I think the idea John, is that you won't need FSGX (?) or UTX... ....

The way I read it FTX Global will be a texture & autogen replacement pack, and will not change terrain features such as roads, rivers and coastlines.

Therefore Ultimate Terrain X which does change terrain features, will be needed outside Orbx regions just as it is now and should complement FTX Global very well.

Excellent videos, John.

If I am not mistaken you have managed to erase all the default.xml autogen crap that is totally out of place in Europe, such as US water towers etc.

Yes, Europe looks like... Europe :)

The way I read it FTX Global will be a texture & autogen replacement pack, and will not change terrain features such as roads, rivers and coastlines.

Therefore Ultimate Terrain X which does change terrain features, will be needed outside Orbx regions just as it is now and should complement FTX Global very well.

The choice is yours; UTX, SceneryTech, OpenVFR, TRUElandscape, etc - there are many LC/vector/geodata enhancement products on the market which will work seamlessly with FTX Global.

Aah, OK, I see. Thanks for the explanation. BTW, so what would be the best product to improve terrain mesh?

Terrain mesh for most parts of the world can be sourced from FSGlobalX, FSGenesis, FS Dreamscapes and many freeware meshes are also available for specific areas of the world.

What I would recommend is firstly just install FTX Global and check out your favourite areas with default mesh, then perhaps invest in mesh for mountainous areas you like to fly in.

Hi John,

I would love to see either some screenshots or videos of Poland. Drzewiecki Design does some great airports (and sceneries in general) for Poland, so I feel it's an often overlooked place that actually has some great potential. I suppose I also like flying around Poland since I've actually been there and my wife is Polish. Any chance you could show some previews of that? For what it's worth, I have fsgenesis mesh, UTX Europe, and SceneryTech Landclass for Europe.

Thanks!

-stefan

WOW!!!! This scenery is starting to grow on me like a drug. I need it! I want it! LOL

I would love to see NYC rendered with such great detail. JV please post your settings and everything we will need to experience what I see in the 2nd video. Thank you and to your team for continuing to develop mind-blowing sceneries for FSX.

Archived