My 1st Test Flight with Opus (CYEG-CYXD)

Eric C

After seeing all the amazing screenshots on our forum using the Opus weather engine, and this video that I linked below my set, I decided to try out Opus once and for all to see the engine myself on my own system. I have to say that I am very impressed, and I even kept looking around the entire sky and it was all filled with today's snowstorm in Edmonton. I still used REX for all of the textures, and will still continue to give Opus a try but so far it's pretty awesome. Hope you enjoy the set :)

CYEG (Edmonton) to CYXD (Edmonton City Center)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bonus:

This is the video that made me consider trying out the Opus demo and checking this out for myself.

Nice Eric, yes Opus does crappy weather really well!

Thanks Simmo, it definitely does indeed. Like that video there are advantages and disadvantages of both I'm sure, but I know Opus will come in handy when flying more of England and Wales which I hope to do more of soon.

Eric - great to hear you've been trying the OPUS demo. The video is OK - but it's only comparing the Live Weather Engine(s). OPUS has great turbulence effects too - far more sophisticated than EZDOK's and Accufeel combined.

The beauty of it is that it'll work with any weather texture creating tool you may already have (REX, FEX or Active Sky). I use mine with a combination of FEX (mainly) but some REX as well. The "Live Camera" views in OPUS aren't as fully functional as the EZDOK equivalent ... yet ... but that will be looked at after all the weather functions have been done.

If you need any further convincing - dive into their support forums and see how friendly and helpful they are.

I'm not sure quite how far I can go in an ORBX forum - pushing other people's products - but OPUS is certainly a great dancing partner for REX.

Very nice set...of some really gnarly weather! Makes me want to sit by the fire with a nice glass of bourbon....aaahhh, who am I kidding; pour the bourbon, lay the fire, and crank up the FSX!

+1 - Great shots Eric .

John

Great shots and nice vid showing the comparisons.

Im an opus fan.. i suppose im biased into liking opus more... but..

There have been some changes to all weather engines since that vid was made. REX has become REXE, ASE has had an upgrade and Opus has had many upgrades since.

Thanks for sharing Eric :)

Some severe weather here Eric!

... But great shots!

And sure:

When it comes down to weather, OPUS is a fantastic program indeed.

And their support is really great too!

It's just that!... be it for VFR or IFR flights now or low and slow or high and fast flights or whatsever ... it's always a reliable and trustworthy weatherengine!

But!

REXEss+ is also a superb package for what it offers and when it comes down to textures it's still even unreached in my personal opinion.

I also like the REX community and support forums very much too - ... so:

For me there is no need to decide between these two!

Because as so many other dedicated flightsimmers around here, I also just enjoy having them both available and running together wonderfully and smoothly on my system!

The best of both worlds together so to speak ...

:)

But for now and again:

Great pictures here Eric!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Eric - great to hear you've been trying the OPUS demo. The video is OK - but it's only comparing the Live Weather Engine(s). OPUS has great turbulence effects too - far more sophisticated than EZDOK's and Accufeel combined.

The beauty of it is that it'll work with any weather texture creating tool you may already have (REX, FEX or Active Sky). I use mine with a combination of FEX (mainly) but some REX as well. The "Live Camera" views in OPUS aren't as fully functional as the EZDOK equivalent ... yet ... but that will be looked at after all the weather functions have been done.

If you need any further convincing - dive into their support forums and see how friendly and helpful they are.

I'm not sure quite how far I can go in an ORBX forum - pushing other people's products - but OPUS is certainly a great dancing partner for REX.

Thank Adam, and I'll definitely read up on the Opus forums to learn more about it and the settings. It's definitely a powerful tool when used with REX textures like many have said, but I wanted to see it for myself to make sure :)

Awesome shots Eric, Stunning weather, Opus looks great ::) I haven;t tried it yet but i think i will go for it!!! Any impact on the frames?

Thanks my friend. I definitely notice the frame hit but it's pretty similar as if I was using another weather engine for example. Let me know how you like the weather engine, and again, I'm not saying one is better than the other in regards to REX and OPUS, but it's good to try out each product and see if it works well for you. In this case, REX and OPUS used in unison can provide some incredible results.

Great shots and nice vid showing the comparisons.

Im an opus fan.. i suppose im biased into liking opus more... but..

There have been some changes to all weather engines since that vid was made. REX has become REXE, ASE has had an upgrade and Opus has had many upgrades since.

Thanks for sharing Eric :)

Great points and I agree my friend that the video is older, but it did make me interested enough to do some testing with REX and Opus and see what kind of results I could get using them together. So far I'm very happy with the results, but of course I will continue to test out more throughout the week :)

Some severe weather here Eric!

... But great shots!

And sure:

When it comes down to weather, OPUS is a fantastic program indeed.

And their support is really great too!

It's just that!... be it for VFR or IFR flights now or low and slow or high and fast flights or whatsever ... it's always a reliable and trustworthy weatherengine!

But!

REXEss+ is also a superb package for what it offers and when it comes down to textures it's still even unreached in my personal opinion.

I also like the REX community and support forums very much too - ... so:

For me there is no need to decide between these two!

Because as so many other dedicated flightsimmers around here, I also just enjoy having them both available and running together wonderfully and smoothly on my system!

The best of both worlds together so to speak ...

:)

But for now and again:

Great pictures here Eric!

Thanks Christoph, and this post wasn't me saying that Opus was better than REX at all. I just noticed an improved difference in that snow storm and wanted to make sure everyone knew how and what program I used to get that effect. I agree that combining both programs may be the best of both worlds, but I'm sure REX may try to find ways of generating similar weather engine results like Opus in the near future. Competition only strengthens the overall product, value, and results for the user at the end of the day.

Nice ones Eric!

Thanks a lot JV, glad you liked these my friend :)

Hello Eric!

No misunderstanding here at all my friend!

No worries please!

Really - i have to apologize on my side, if i should have been unclear.

I am really sorry, if my wording should have caused any confusion.

It's absolutely clear, that You have never ever stated anything like "REX being better than OPUS" or the other way round or anything like that at all

And i have never thought so!

All i was pointing out on my side though was that the combination of both might be a "flightimmers heaven" so to speak, and that there is no need to decide between thzem for me personally anymore - simply because:

I like them both (each for its strenghts) equaly!

I was just throwing in my two cents at the discussion here too, that's all.

Cheers, Christoph

Hello Eric!

No misunderstanding here at all my friend!

No worries please!

Really - i have to apologize on my side, if i should have been unclear.

I am really sorry, if my wording should have caused any confusion.

It's absolutely clear, that You have never ever stated anything like "REX being better than OPUS" or the other way round or anything like that at all

And i have never thought so!

All i was pointing out on my side though was that the combination of both might be a "flightimmers heaven" so to speak, and that there is no need to decide between thzem for me personally anymore - simply because:

I like them both (each for its strenghts) equaly!

I was just throwing in my two cents at the discussion here too, that's all.

Cheers, Christoph

I know buddy, haha, "We Sim in Peace" here on these forums and that's what makes it a special place to share this amazing hobby of ours. I wasn't mad at all or accusing you of anything, I just wanted to make sure this set didn't come off as something it wasn't. I know I'm a direct, to the point guy but it's only to save time and reading for the other users, haha :D Take care and no foul at all, I know you meant well as always, and your contribution and comments here on the forums are greatly appreciated, trust me 8) Take it easy my friend.

... Always taking at easy 8)

... but tending to always write a bit to much too ^_^

... and as being a Non-English-Native-Speaker (what a word :lol:) i am always a little uncertain ... ::)

The better now to have proof again, that there never was any need for any worries at all!

:D

Happy flying my friend!

Christoph

... and as being a Non-English-Native-Speaker (what a word :lol:) i am always a little uncertain ... ::)

I think I beat you in the "write a bit too much" competition! :P ... and your English is pretty damn' good! 8) (where's the "thumb-up" smiley?).

Adam.

I know Opus will come in handy when flying more of England and Wales which I hope to do more of soon.

What are you trying to say Eric? :P It's not Always bad weather here you know...... :D

Great shots Eric, I'll be sure to give the demo a go.

Cheers,

Matt.

Thanks a lot guys for the nice comments, glad you liked these.

... Always taking at easy 8)

The better now to have proof again, that there never was any need for any worries at all!

:D

Happy flying my friend!

Christoph

Likewise, and your English is perfect my friend. Nothing to worry about at all :)

"We Sim in Peace" - I'm so stealing that!

Great shots, old chum! :)

Thanks buddy, feel free to use it, haha. I guess I'm known to come up with some good ones from time to time 8)

What are you trying to say Eric? :P It's not Always bad weather here you know...... :D

Great shots Eric, I'll be sure to give the demo a go.

Cheers,

Matt.

Thanks buddy, let me know how you like Opus. You're right, the weather is not always bad there, but it just seems like a lot of the locals on the forums take the "realness" of the UK weather to a Professional and intense level sometimes. Don't want to make them too mad ;)

Thanks for sharing mate, I have to agree Opus is awesome and their continual focus on improvement is commendable. Coupled with REX textures of your choice and your in Heaven. Nice set again

Thanks my friend, and so far it is a pretty awesome combination, but something tells me REX is working on something :)

Archived