Mildura to Essendon FTX AU

VH-KDK

A flight from Mildura NW Victoria to Melbourne Essendon.

I lived in Mildura for 18 years and did a lot of photography at the airport the last 18 months I was there. It is served by Qantaslink, Virgin Australia and REX with a lot of interesting movements there.

Just a serious tip for anyone thinking of doing seasonal work there if you are on a backpacking holiday or similar. Avoid the place like the plague. Having both worked and owned a farm there I hate to see workers getting ripped off. Pass it on!!!

Posted Image

Passing over Mildura Airport after taking off from runway 27.

Posted Image

Mildura town with the Murray River. NSW state is on the other side of the river.

Posted Image

Over the Mallee country with Salt Lake Tyrell in the background.

Posted Image

Close to Boundary Bend where the Murrumbidgee River flows into The Murray.

Posted Image

Swan Hill with Lake Boga. Lake Boga was WW2 flying boat station where RAAF Catalinas were based.

There is a very interesting museum there with a preserved Catalina which is now housed in a splendid new hangar.

Posted Image

Farmland north of Charlton halfway to Essendon.

Posted Image

Approaching Bendigo.

Posted Image

Melbourne with Port Phillip Bay and Tullamarine Airport.

Posted Image

Melbourne CBD and Essendon Airport.

Posted Image

Journeys end at Essendon Airport. A perfect landing apart from cutting the engines just before touchdown!

Nice pics. I stayed in Lake Boga for a while, in the only Hotel, while I was working in Swan Hill. It was a few years back, so the Catalina was parked outside then. There were also a lot of old photos etc about the Catalinas and personnel that were based in Lake Boga in WWII on the walls around the pub. Definitely worth a visit for anyone in the area.

Cheers,

Nice pics. I stayed in Lake Boga for a while, in the only Hotel, while I was working in Swan Hill. It was a few years back, so the Catalina was parked outside then. There were also a lot of old photos etc about the Catalinas and personnel that were based in Lake Boga in WWII on the walls around the pub. Definitely worth a visit for anyone in the area.

Cheers,

Thanks for the post. 5 years ago during the drought Lake Boga dried out and quite a few artifacts were recovered from the lake bed.I have only seen photos of the new hanger but it will ensure the Cat does not deteriorate in the elements.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that the lake dried out. I shouldn't be surprised though, probably most of the lakes dried out around that time. There was plenty of water when I was there, but it was probably ten years ago. They must have found some cool stuff. I did read about the museum in some aircraft magazine, and I'm also really glad they built it.

Cheers,

Archived