FTX-England - can it be used without landclass?!

kevinfirth

Here's a quick question, not quite covered I think by any other thread so far.

I was wanting to use the airfields without having to buy and use the FTX-England Region. Now I think there are many on and off airfield objects (like lights for example) that are only shown when you have the region installed as well, otherwise you don't get them. JV has already stated explicitly that Orbx products aren't going to be released to be compatible with other things like photoscenery, that is what it is and I am not intending to raise that question again..

However, if I bought FTX-England, would I be able to have the object libraries active for example, without having to use the landclass tiles? Im exploring whether I could get a better fit with my existing photoscenery.

I'm sorry but I don't have any FTX regions so I'm not au fait with how they install and whether you can choose only to use certain parts of them.

Could any existing user give me a few ideas as to what is and isn't possible please?

Thanks

k

If you wanted to just use POI's from any region you could do it. It would essentially be disabling every folder except for the 05_scenery folders and then sorting through those to delete all the APX files and leave only the PLC's. There are also airfield height adjustment files in the World/Scenery folder that would have to be taken care of.

The easiest way to use just POI's would probably be install to a dummy FSX folder then strip down the install until only the placement files and libraries are left then move those back into your original FSX folder.

If you wanted to just use POI's from any region you could do it. It would essentially be disabling every folder except for the 05_scenery folders and then sorting through those to delete all the APX files and leave only the PLC's. There are also airfield height adjustment files in the World/Scenery folder that would have to be taken care of.

The easiest way to use just POI's would probably be install to a dummy FSX folder then strip down the install until only the placement files and libraries are left then move those back into your original FSX folder.

I'm sorry, POI, APX, PLC? What precisely do you mean by 'would have to be taken care of? (I'm not a complete newb with scenery!)

Cheers

k

I'm sorry, POI, APX, PLC? What precisely do you mean by 'would have to be taken care of? (I'm not a complete newb with scenery!)

Cheers

k

POI - point of interest, the landmarks you're looking to place on top of photoreal scenery

APX - also known as AFX, or back in FS9 AFCAD's.

PLC - placement file, the files that would contain placement for landmarks around EU

The airfield height adjustment files in the World/Scenery folder would have to be taken care of in the sense that using default FSX mesh or other addon meshes they will clash and cause elevation problems. They would all have to be located and removed unless you keep using the UK mesh along with the landmarks.

Thanks Alex, just thought it best to be clear. I suppose in that case I'd be better just keeping the Orbx mesh. I'm mostly concerned about being able to use the autogen libraries and anything that provides airfield lighting. Some sceneries have like a scenery folder and then an object library folder so it's pretty easy to just remove one from the add-on scenery lists to only use the parts you want to - didn't know how Orbx do it with regions.

k

Archived