Photobucket (beta) madness - aaaaaarrrrrrgh!

Adam Banks

STAY AWAY FROM THE NEW PHOTOBUCKET BETA!

I've previously dabbled with it (hated it) but was prompted by yet another spam email trying to persuade me to switch over to the new beta.

YOU CANNOT SWITCH BACK!

For the free accounts, there doesn't seem to be a way of stopping PB downsizing your uploaded images. Mine are 1280px wide and the image you link to in the usual BBCode tag links to a 1024px thumbnail only. If you go to PB proper, you can *download* the full size image, but I can't find a way of direct-linking to the original (full size) image.

OK ... no problem ... I'll go back to the old version till I sort out an alternative hosting service ... but the link has gone - you can't!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh. The PB helpdesk is hopeless - I'm not even sure that it's staffed by humans.

Help!

Adam.

Thanks for that! I'd totally forgotten that! I tried to create a gallery In the forums) there once, but I don't think it was ever really enabled. The FSFiles option looks brilliant.

... here's a reject from my "Farewell Spit" topic (using OzX/FSFiles):

Posted Image

8)

Thanks! I'm looking for an alternative to photobucket having gone through the same experience as Adam. Nice 'reject' btw. ;)

Thanks for the thanks ;) ... I think (credit to Capnsully for the prod) my "adventure" is over - I'll be sticking to the kind lads at AussieX and using FSFiles. Who knows, I may even send them a donation!

I use absolutely *none* of the features that these (other) Image Hosters provide. I simply want somewhere to put them and direct link to them from forums like this one. I don't want anyone messing with jpeg compression ratios, sizes or whatever. I take a lot of care in creating my "photos" and really don't want some brain dead application ruining them.

BTW - If you're not already a member - I heartily recommend AussieX!

Adam.

Real nice Spit shot there!

Either that's a genuine slip-up, or you have a sense of humour that's very like mine ... that's a Corsair :lol: :lol: :lol:

Photobucket update: I went to their "Support" forum (meaningless, as they never read/act on what's posted) and there are *hundreds* of complaints - not only from free users like myself, but from PAYING customers.

What's worse is that *at no stage* do they tell you that the process is IRREVERSIBLE. For the record, here's my post:

====================================

I've been using Photobucket for years ... and have been a web-app developer since the Internet was invented (yes, I'm THAT OLD!). I can spot a LEMON when I see one. Wait not not a lemon .. how about steaming, brown TURD???

So you all went down and had café lattés with some middle-management-no-brained punks did you? And you conned yourselves into this "upgrade"? You should be ashamed of yourselves and/or FIRED.

Not only is it totally unintuitive, slow and generally hard to navigate - it actually screws up its primary purpose: to display images in full detail and in some sensible/accessible manner.

1) Thumbnails are cropped/the wrong size.

2) There is NO WAY to upload a high-res image over 1024px without some lossy resizing routine kicking in and turning your precious images into pea soup.

These are just two (out of many) features either badly implemented or simply missing.

Photobucket, YOU HAVE TOTALLY LOST THE PLOT.

===================================================

So ... I'd urge everyone here to find other image hosting options ASAP. PB is going to make this beta final and un-opt-outable in the next couple of months. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

If you don't have your images archived locally, grab them now - using the old interface, which is much easier. One (paying) client had 6,000 images turned into thumbnails and the hi-res originals lost by PB. Apparently "back-up" is a term they have yet to understand. Not good. So ... not only will your NEW images be stuffed up, there's a chance that even all your CURRENT ones on PB might get "rogered".

I'll bet anything you like that the people that created the original Photobucket have sold the company to some money-grabbing halfwits and have moved on. Depressingly familiar.

Happy Camper ... NOT!

Either that's a genuine slip-up, or you have a sense of humour that's very like mine ... that's a Corsair :lol: :lol: :lol:

Photobucket update: I went to their "Support" forum (meaningless, as they never read/act on what's posted) and there are *hundreds* of complaints - not only from free users like myself, but from PAYING customers.

What's worse is that *at no stage* do they tell you that the process is IRREVERSIBLE. For the record, here's my post:

====================================

I've been using Photobucket for years ... and have been a web-app developer since the Internet was invented (yes, I'm THAT OLD!). I can spot a LEMON when I see one. Wait not not a lemon .. how about steaming, brown TURD???

So you all went down and had café lattés with some middle-management-no-brained punks did you? And you conned yourselves into this "upgrade"? You should be ashamed of yourselves and/or FIRED.

Not only is it totally unintuitive, slow and generally hard to navigate - it actually screws up its primary purpose: to display images in full detail and in some sensible/accessible manner.

1) Thumbnails are cropped/the wrong size.

2) There is NO WAY to upload a high-res image over 1024px without some lossy resizing routine kicking in and turning your precious images into pea soup.

These are just two (out of many) features either badly implemented or simply missing.

Photobucket, YOU HAVE TOTALLY LOST THE PLOT.

===================================================

So ... I'd urge everyone here to find other image hosting options ASAP. PB is going to make this beta final and un-opt-outable in the next couple of months. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

If you don't have your images archived locally, grab them now - using the old interface, which is much easier. One (paying) client had 6,000 images turned into thumbnails and the hi-res originals lost by PB. Apparently "back-up" is a term they have yet to understand. Not good. So ... not only will your NEW images be stuffed up, there's a chance that even all your CURRENT ones on PB might get "rogered".

I'll bet anything you like that the people that created the original Photobucket have sold the company to some money-grabbing halfwits and have moved on. Depressingly familiar.

Happy Camper ... NOT!

Must been sleeping writing this Adam, in fact the Corsair is my favorite warbird, how could I :-[

Thanks for the info Adam, I've been using FSFiles for a while now.

I wish I'd switched sooner!

I posted my Top 20 pics on Imageshack - more by way of a test, really. FSfiles will definitely be all I usually need, but for this one I wanted to create a separate "gallery" - which I couldn't seem to do on FSFiles (no big deal). I generally don't post family or personal pics online, so all these Facebook types of "improvements" on Photobucket are wasted on me (not that they work, anyway!).

The Photobucket saga gets daily worse. *Hundreds* of complaints in their forum with not one single reply from PB. It's a closed forum, so people should really be complaining somewhere else. The paying customers should be taking them to court. That the beta doesn't work is probably covered, from a legal P.O.V. - but to lock paying customers out of the old version is surely a breach of contract.

Adam.

Bummer! FSFiles is certainly worth it - they're part of our community after all!

I've tried Imageshack (OK - but check their total capacity) and http://postimage.org/. Both do "galleries" (if you want that sort of thing) which FSFiles does not. Neither Imageshack nor Postimage "mess" with your original in any way. No resizing or resampling - if you select that (ditto with FSFiles).

Whatever you do *don't* click on the "try Photobucket Beta" link. Unlike as before - you can no longer go back to the old version. If you're still in the old version, pull off what you can - fast!

A good (auto) downloader is http://pi.pe/ - which pulls everything off onto some other cloud type storage (Google Drive etc.).

I suspect you have the originals stored on a local HD anyway (I do), but many people have lost 1,000's of images.

Just gone over to postimage and created a gallery - seems pain-free.

I like it. Absolutely "no frills" ... just what I want! As a test, download a maximum size image that you've already uploaded, then compare it with the original. I've found that looking at even some of my earlier PB images, though the image *dimensions* were the same (not always the case, with other hosters) they'd applied some jpeg compression. Easy to spot, as the filesize was different/smaller.

Unless I specifically want to do a gallery (very rare) - and only want to host images for forums like this one - then I'll be using FSFiles.

Archived