SAK Southern Alaska - First screenshots! [Glaciers]

Fabulous - will be well and truly losing myself here when released!

I've been missing Holger and Bill's Glacier Bay for many years now so to be able to visit again and continue where Glacier Bay left off is a dream come true. One of my very early flights was from Vancouver to Anchorage in FS2002 in the RealAir SF260 and even then I was taking screenshots. I'll do it again when SAK is released and post some comparisons - should be fun to see how far we've come!

Rob

Definitely some from the Seward Ice Field near Yakutat and Yakutaga. #3 and #5 look to be of the Malaspina Glacier across the bay from Yakutat. It looks so much different than the other glaciers in the shots seen. Tidewater glaciers are large rivers of ice whereas a Piedmont glacier is a lake of ice. Malaspina Glacier is the largest Piedmont Glacier on Earth!

These look great up high like this. How about some from down low. How's the photo real process look down there on top of these icefields?

Here's one down low from an internal preview shot Tim showed the team on the weekend. I am sure he won't mind me sharing it. You can see how the very high resolution Holgermesh and some clever sloped flattens gives a 3D form to the glacier tips without needing any specific models.

Posted Image

There is going to be a lot more to show everyone from SAK, plenty of very cool surprises in store :)

I love flying in Alaska. Hope the Glaciers look as good when flying on Fl380 with my NGX...

Would Juneau be an option for a FTX Airport or would it be too big? It is the one airport missing for the ASA milk runs....

With so much ice in this region, it's great to see how real these look from an elevation where you can appreciate these ice fields. I think that my "Low and Slow" preference of flying will need to get up there and "Fly like and Eagle" over the ice in this region. Just to take it all in. They look spectacular. Of course, flying up high will be a challenge with the weather this region generates.

Can't wait to see Glacier Bay and some of the stuff Jon Patch is working on from Skagway to Carcross. The Copper River Delta and the river itself. The Kenai Fjords area and it's Harding Icefield. Prince William Sound. Valdez. Anchorage... The list goes on and on.

Bring on SAK!

Brad

Archived